Mike Yeo's Time Is Running Out

Brooklanders*

Feb 26, 2012
So with the Wild in a spiral like none we've seen for years, how long until Mike Yeo is given the boot? 11 losses in the last 13 games and 7 wins in the last 23 games.

Now you can't put all the blame on Yeo, especially for the garbage goaltending we've been getting, but at some point a change has to be made and it's usually the coach that gets the blame. Our veteran players have been lazy and under performing while the young players not named Zucker aren't progressing. Whether that's coaching or not I don't know and at this point in the season will a coaching change even matter? It's probably too late for the Wild to make the playoffs at this point and many Wild fans would rather just see us get a nice draft pick then try to make the playoffs, only to fail and ruin our draft position like we've done in so many years past.
I watched the game last night.
Yeo needs to go but this team is flawed.
Backstrom wasn't the problem either.
The Wild have an unbalanced team.
IMO Fletcher and his entire scouting staff should be the first to leave.
Chicago outworked Minnesota and showed much more speed and skill.
Blum was awful but other than Suter (and even him looking lost at times)and Spurgeon no one plays D.
Brodin is so overrated.
Then there's the forwards.
Pominvilles reputation as a two way forward in Buffalo seems to be lost in translation.
Guy is non chalant and lacksadaisical at best.
Sometimes he's lazier than Vanek.
I also watched Nino.
Like his aggressiveness on offense but you can see why he's -17 or something like that.
Stays in front of the net all day and watches the play happen.
No way will he ever get the chance to catch up on the play especially against faster teams.
Frustrating because he has all the speed and physical skill to be a two way guy but its almost as if the coaches tell me don't worry about Defense at all.

Its OK to have a couple but two many soft players is bad.

Minnesota needs to trade some young scorers for physical defense and two way forwards who look for defense first.
A good goalie will help but hesc gonna face a ton of shots.

Alexandrov

Dec 5, 2011
I watched the game last night.
Yeo needs to go but this team is flawed.
Backstrom wasn't the problem either.
The Wild have an unbalanced team.
IMO Fletcher and his entire scouting staff should be the first to leave.
Chicago outworked Minnesota and showed much more speed and skill.
Blum was awful but other than Suter (and even him looking lost at times)and Spurgeon no one plays D.
Brodin is so overrated.
Then there's the forwards.
Pominvilles reputation as a two way forward in Buffalo seems to be lost in translation.
Guy is non chalant and lacksadaisical at best.
Sometimes he's lazier than Vanek.
I also watched Nino.
Like his aggressiveness on offense but you can see why he's -17 or something like that.
Stays in front of the net all day and watches the play happen.
No way will he ever get the chance to catch up on the play especially against faster teams.
Frustrating because he has all the speed and physical skill to be a two way guy but its almost as if the coaches tell me don't worry about Defense at all.

Its OK to have a couple but two many soft players is bad.

Minnesota needs to trade some young scorers for physical defense and two way forwards who look for defense first.
A good goalie will help but hesc gonna face a ton of shots.

There is very few teams that give up less shots than Minnesota. How is a good goalie gonna face a ton of shots?

Oh god, did Pominville has a reputation of a two-way forward? :laugh: He's been pretty bad defensively as long as he's been with the Wild.

Nothingman*

1. 1Cs don't grow on trees. This is no easy/quick fix.
2. Starting, upper half of the NHL goalies do not grow on trees. And they rarely come available via FA. So the best bet is trading for a backup that performs well on a good team....which means overpaying in trade and probably being disappointed with that goalie when the team plays like crap in front of them and you get the same results. but it is a start.
3. Tough to trade the vets. Their contracts are not favorable for their performance value.
4. There is no help on the farm for the Wild. So any help would have to come externally.
5. Firing the coach is easy but not going to fix the roster. Which has flaws/holes.
6. there was too much hope put in the youth progressing and contributing more than they are capable. This was based mostly on the playoffs last year. That short burst of performance was more than likely an aberration from the norm.
7. Too much was expected of Granlund too soon. He needed more time to adjust to the NA game and not be expected to be the next prodigy so soon. Too much pressure too soon for the kid. This is due to the farm having not much in the way of NHL-capable players in Iowa.
8. Fletcher went all in 2 years too early. He needed to stock the farm more than he did before going the FA route. Which often doesn't equate to a winning culture. When was the last team to buy a championship in the cap era? And how often does that happen? A lot of this is on Fletcher more than anyone else.

The Wild will probably finish midling and continue to draft there just like they have their whole existence. That is unfortunately where they are destined to be.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
How long ago did he have the mumps? Maybe he came back too fast. Or should not be playing 30 minutes. Or both.

I think the mumps has a lot more to do with his play than people think. Yes, he's over them, but he's probably still recovering from them and trying to play at the same level he was pre-mumps. When his body is unable to do that, he starts to beat on himself mentally too, and there you have -18 in 19 games.

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
1. 1Cs don't grow on trees. This is no easy/quick fix.
2. Starting, upper half of the NHL goalies do not grow on trees. And they rarely come available via FA. So the best bet is trading for a backup that performs well on a good team....which means overpaying in trade and probably being disappointed with that goalie when the team plays like crap in front of them and you get the same results. but it is a start.
3. Tough to trade the vets. Their contracts are not favorable for their performance value.
4. There is no help on the farm for the Wild. So any help would have to come externally.
5. Firing the coach is easy but not going to fix the roster. Which has flaws/holes.
6. there was too much hope put in the youth progressing and contributing more than they are capable. This was based mostly on the playoffs last year. That short burst of performance was more than likely an aberration from the norm.
7. Too much was expected of Granlund too soon. He needed more time to adjust to the NA game and not be expected to be the next prodigy so soon. Too much pressure too soon for the kid. This is due to the farm having not much in the way of NHL-capable players in Iowa.
8. Fletcher went all in 2 years too early. He needed to stock the farm more than he did before going the FA route. Which often doesn't equate to a winning culture. When was the last team to buy a championship in the cap era? And how often does that happen? A lot of this is on Fletcher more than anyone else.

The Wild will probably finish midling and continue to draft there just like they have their whole existence. That is unfortunately where they are destined to be.

This is quite accurate.

Slopo

Nov 3, 2011
If there's no farm help, fire Fletcher.

But, like I've been saying for months, fire Yeo.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
I would do it soon. While I don't think the Wild are cup contenders, they are still a good team and they are better than their record shows. They should be battling for a playoff spot at the very least, and they need to make a move quickly so they may still have time to do that. But if you wait too long...

FirewagonChange

Oct 8, 2014
Dan Bylsma would be a perfect fit in Minnesota

Quite a few good American players. Lots of offensive talent that is being wasted. Bylsma is offensive minded.

I don't see him taking the job mid-season though. Wild aren't in the best position and the West is tough. He has a squeaky clean resume, I don't think he'd want to risk a mid-season failure. But money talks.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
Who are the coaching options at the moment?

Experienced and somewhat recently let go: Bylsma, Carlyle, Paul MacLean, Guy Boucher, Noel, Tortorella, Dineen, Eakins, De Boer, ???

Experienced coaches 2-3+ years removed: Ron Wilson, Andy Murray, Jacques Martin, Marc Crawford, Brent Sutter, Mike Keenan, ???

CHL/AHL options?? Probably hard to get a top AHL coach mid-season, I'd imagine most organizations would simply say no.

Nei1ey*

Yes can Minnesota hire him please???

His first order of business will be lobbying a trade for Craig Adams at whatever cost. :D

penguins2946*

No he wouldn't. He'll overplay the 4th liners, healthy scratch your European skilled players and not make any in game adjustments as the Wild are getting horribly shut down.

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
MIN should've went after Miller. I still feel MIN would've been a better fit + it'd be better than having nearly 7 million in dead cap space in the lazy sob known as Vanek

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
I don't see why he wouldn't go mid-season. Plenty of experienced coaches have done that in the past and the recent past (Carlyle, Boudreau, Hitchcock, Maurice, etc)

In fact, Bylsma himself took the Pittsburgh job midseason (granted, promoted from within. But he still has experience taking an NHL team over midseason).

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
No he wouldn't. He'll overplay the 4th liners, healthy scratch your European skilled players and not make any in game adjustments as the Wild are getting horribly shut down.

Yep, Bylsma is a lateral move from Mike Yeo. I'd rather have the Wild go after Paul MacLean or Dave Tippett (provided he's available at the end of the season).

I still say the only reason Yeo is fired mid-season is some horrendous stretch where the torches get hotter and the pitchforks get sharper. We're not quite there yet, but we're well on our way.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
Dan did a pretty good job with the Pens when he came in mid season ;)

I'm not nearly the Bylsma hater that many Pens fans are but I think it's pretty common knowledge that Bylsma took Therrien's team/system with a lot of players who were happy to not be playing for Therrien anymore and won the Cup.

Bylsma has his strengths - he's good at doing more with less, he took a team without Crosby & Malkin and almost won a playoff round. Of course, that team was up 3-1 in the series and ended up blowing it, which became a hallmark of his tenure with the Pens. IMO he's the primary reason that the Pens have continuously flamed out in the playoffs since 2009. People point to MAF but I'm convinced (and it's JMO, of course) that it's Bylsma's "system" of the D treating the puck like a live grenade that continuously hung him out to dry and totally ruined his confidence.

IOW, if you have a team full of grinders he'd be a good fit. If you have a team that hasn't made the playoffs in a while and you're just looking for a regular season coach to get there and get your players a taste of the post-season, he'd probably be ok. If you have a lot of skilled guys or aspirations for a lengthy playoff run, run away.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
Dan did a pretty good job with the Pens when he came in mid season ;)

Exactly this. I was as sick of DB as most Pens fans by the end, but there is no doubt that he had a positive effect, Cup win aside. Therrien molded that team into a winner, but I think DB's approach of stressing hard work and having everyone buy into the system can definitely reap short term rewards. For a team that is lost and needs to have its top players kicked in the butt, I think it could be a great fit.

It just got really really stale and was essentially unchanged, five years later, despite all the evidence that a new approach was needed.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
If the Wild fire Yeo, then they need to hire an ass kicker. Hard to do in this age of NTC's, but there it is.

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
If the Wild fire Yeo, then they need to hire an ass kicker. Hard to do in this age of NTC's, but there it is.

Thomas Vanek is an anchor.

If being roasted by National media in the playoffs doesn't spark you, no coach will.

They have created a mess with him, and his contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad