Mike Yeo's Time Is Running Out

Billy Mays Here*

So with the Wild in a spiral like none we've seen for years, how long until Mike Yeo is given the boot? 11 losses in the last 13 games and 7 wins in the last 23 games.

Now you can't put all the blame on Yeo, especially for the garbage goaltending we've been getting, but at some point a change has to be made and it's usually the coach that gets the blame. Our veteran players have been lazy and under performing while the young players not named Zucker aren't progressing. Whether that's coaching or not I don't know and at this point in the season will a coaching change even matter? It's probably too late for the Wild to make the playoffs at this point and many Wild fans would rather just see us get a nice draft pick then try to make the playoffs, only to fail and ruin our draft position like we've done in so many years past.

Stad

@Mahomes2Helaire
Apr 22, 2007
Saskatoon
Fire Yeo and hire Bylsma before Tuesday's game with the Pens, it would make for a great headline.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
He should be fired but he isn't the reason for this spiral

Vanek , Pominville and Koivu make no effort to back check most nights. Its shocking actually to see with Koivu how bad he is playing right now

Esq

in terrorem
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2009
Village in the City
When Jason Zucker leads your team in goals, it's a systemic problem, not a coaching problem.

That being said, it is easier to fire the coach than fire the players.

He's gone.

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
There's a great coach named Randy Carlyle that's still available. I think his amazing possession based system will benefit the Wild greatly.

:sarcasm:

MildlyAwesome

Rational Leaf Fan
Jun 4, 2009
Canada
When Jason Zucker leads your team in goals, it's a systemic problem, not a coaching problem.

He's gone.

I agree with this.

This team has one of the fewest shots yet has one of the worst GAA. It's goaltending. I mean, the last team since the lockout to finish near the bottom in shots but the worst GAA was Edmonton in 2006 who had the 12th best GAA. Everyone was in the top 10 in GAA. Nothing like the Wild do now. This team needs better goaltending.

FVM

This does not please me.
Jan 26, 2010
Vantaa, Finland
He should be fired but he isn't the reason for this spiral

Vanek , Pominville and Koivu make no effort to back check most nights. Its shocking actually to see with Koivu how bad he is playing right now

This is true. Yeo has lost the team and deserves to go, but it's unbelievable how some of our vets are playing. No fire, no urgency, no nothing. I really don't know what's going on with Koivu, he's usually really committed to backchecking and the details that coaches love. Either he's nursing an injury or there's some serious rift brewing in the locker room. Could be both, too.

Suter's quotes are telling. Something is seriously wrong with this team.

janecky

Oct 8, 2005
Helsinki, Finland

So you'd say it's a coaching problem only if it's not a systemic problem? :huh:

To me it sure looks like Yeo is not getting the best out of his players, although in his defense his goalies have been bad.

Laviolette was the dream ticket for Minnesota. He would have taken them to the next level. Yeo was saved by the team going hot at the right time last year, but now it looks like it was a flash in the pan.

OzzyFan

Sep 17, 2012
So with the Wild in a spiral like none we've seen for years, how long until Mike Yeo is given the boot? 11 losses in the last 13 games and 7 wins in the last 23 games.

Now you can't put all the blame on Yeo, especially for the garbage goaltending we've been getting, but at some point a change has to be made and it's usually the coach that gets the blame. Our veteran players have been lazy and under performing while the young players not named Zucker aren't progressing. Whether that's coaching or not I don't know and at this point in the season will a coaching change even matter? It's probably too late for the Wild to make the playoffs at this point and many Wild fans would rather just see us get a nice draft pick then try to make the playoffs, only to fail and ruin our draft position like we've done in so many years past.

Generally no. But it's not about when the firing is or if it matters this season. Although, it's runs like these that head coach's got fired on usually. As you know, a goaltending change/fix/new coach may help the most, but this isn't about that nor with ownership/management see it that way. Yeo is fired before January ends imo.

1rd

¡Hala Madrid!
Jun 16, 2011
Just an outside POV.. Wild should also try to trade Koivu or at the very least give the C to someone else. (Parise/Suter?)

Esq

in terrorem
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2009
Village in the City
So you'd say it's a coaching problem only if it's not a systemic problem? :huh:

To me it sure looks like Yeo is not getting the best out of his players, although in his defense his goalies have been bad.

Laviolette was the dream ticket for Minnesota. He would have taken them to the next level. Yeo was saved by the team going hot at the right time last year, but now it looks like it was a flash in the pan.

No, that's not what I said. I meant there are much larger issues right now than the coach. Highly-paid vets shouldn't need motivation from the coaching staff to produce.

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
You guys don't think they'll just wait til the all-star break? I kind of thought they'd wait to make a move until then with the Wild not having more than one day off between now and then.

OzzyFan

Sep 17, 2012
No, that's not what I said. I meant there are much larger issues right now than the coach. Highly-paid vets shouldn't need motivation from the coaching staff to produce.

Hate to say this, but most "mid nhl aged and older" high paid vets generally are the ones that need it the most. Kids are hungry generally, it's the ones that are older/more worn and sitting on fat pay checks that phone in bad/underperforming team seasons.

Billy Mays Here*

Just an outside POV.. Wild should also try to trade Koivu or at the very least give the C to someone else. (Parise/Suter?)

Parise has been a better leader the moment he stepped foot in here. We also need a better 1C than Koivu if we ever want to accomplish anything in the playoffs, yet alone get in them.

plock

Sonic Reducer
Oct 5, 2013
Mill City

He's gone.

It's Yeos system he designs the gameplan.The talent is there (not so much in goal) the result are not.

janecky

Oct 8, 2005
Helsinki, Finland

Suter's quotes are telling. Something is seriously wrong with this team.

It's a little hyperbolic. Parise was in New Jersey during the MacLean season. There is no way the Wild is worse than that mess.

That's idealistic, though. If a coach is not getting buy-in from his players, it doesn't matter what ideally should or shouldn't happen. A lot of coaches would be good coaches in the NHL if the players did what the coach asked. The game itself is not rocket science. It's the same with managers in all walks of life. Sometimes the boss just doesn't get results out of his team and can't find a way to fix it. In theory, everything should be OK, but it doesn't work in practice. A new coach comes in and the black cloud is lifted.

Buy-in is not necessarily even conscious on the part of the players. It's part of coaching intangibles, in my opinion. Some coaches are better at handling the players and getting the best out of them, and some smart coaches just don't have that touch. Whatever the reason, Yeo is clearly not able to transfer his plans into action and results on the ice at the moment. I really don't think it has anything to do with motivation in the sense of players having their feet on the table and taking it easy. It's more likely the players are trying to do what the coach asks, but they're low on confidence and thinking too much. It spirals, and they can't snap out of it.

Every team goes through bad stretches, so it's really a question of the players being united and believing they can win with Yeo. When Yeo did that little tantrum in practice, I think it was calculated. He was trying to wake up the team and get it out of its malaise. They probably need a new voice and a new start.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad