Mike Yeo's Time Is Running Out

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Wild and Yeo have an off and on again relationship. A year ago there was talk that he would get fired, then they started winning a bit so everyone was happy. Then he got an extension this season and now I guess they've hit a rough patch.

aemoreira1981

Jan 27, 2012
New York City
You guys don't think they'll just wait til the all-star break? I kind of thought they'd wait to make a move until then with the Wild not having more than one day off between now and then.

Waiting until just before it does make sense...I would be surprised if he's still the coach on the back side of it.

FVM

This does not please me.
Jan 26, 2010
Vantaa, Finland
That's idealistic, though. If a coach is not getting buy-in from his players, it doesn't matter what ideally should or shouldn't happen. A lot of coaches would be good coaches in the NHL if the players did what the coach asked. The game itself is not rocket science. It's the same with managers in all walks of life. Sometimes the boss just doesn't get results out of his team and can't find a way to fix it. In theory, everything should be OK, but it doesn't work in practice. A new coach comes in and the black cloud is lifted.

Buy-in is not necessarily even conscious on the part of the players. It's part of coaching intangibles, in my opinion. Some coaches are better at handling the players and getting the best out of them, and some smart coaches just don't have that touch. Whatever the reason, Yeo is clearly not able to transfer his plans into action and results on the ice at the moment. I really don't think it has anything to do with motivation in the sense of players having their feet on the table and taking it easy. It's more likely the players are trying to do what the coach asks, but they're low on confidence and thinking too much. It spirals, and they can't snap out of it.

Every team goes through bad stretches, so it's really a question of the players being united and believing they can win with Yeo. When Yeo did that little tantrum in practice, I think it was calculated. He was trying to wake up the team and get it out of its malaise. They probably need a new voice and a new start.

Well put.

a Fool

Emperor has no picks
Mar 14, 2014
Wild are a top5 possession team yet have the worst Save % in the NHL. Right there with Edmonton. If you guys can get a goalie you'll be a slam dunk for the wildcard spot.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Probably.

Though it's too bad, cause it's not really his fault.

He had the Wild playing the right way, and was totally undercut by wretched goaltending. Once the bottom fell out, it looked like the team lost interest in playing the system.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
Suter is costing Yeo his job atm. He is -18 past 19 games. Yes -18 in 19 games.

PuckInTheNards

Feb 4, 2008
Probably.

He had the Wild playing the right way, and was totally undercut by wretched goaltending. Once the bottom fell out, it looked like the team lost interest in playing the system.

This is exactly how I see it. So frustrating to be a Wild fan these days...

Wild11MN

First round losers
May 28, 2013
MN
Probably.

This. I kind of feel bad for him. Team was playing great at the end of the year last year, followed by a dominant first 10 games. Now it's like they've forgotten how to play. I feel like the poor goaltending has made players change their game to try and do too much, and it's obviously not working.

I'm not sure he deserves to be fired, but now I think at this point, it may be inevitable.

10coach*

Feb 21, 2014
Suter is costing Yeo his job atm. He is -18 past 19 games. Yes -18 in 19 games.

He hasn't been great as he usually is ( couple reasons for that as we all know) but that number is a result of the terrible goaltending. A lot of weak ass goals.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
He hasn't been great as he usually is ( couple reasons for that as we all know) but that number is a result of the terrible goaltending. A lot of weak ass goals.

That's true but he is far from his last season form. Which can be said almost about every player in Wild.

Bronson

Apr 5, 2007
I said this in the beginning of the season: Fletcher is the big problem. He knows nothing about building teams and has built a the team around expensive wingers with NTCs. Where are the good centers, the defensive depth, solid goaltending or promising prospects? All this team has are a bunch of underachievers and youngsters who havet Bern thrown to the wolves.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
I said this in the beginning of the season: Fletcher is the big problem. He knows nothing about building teams and has built a the team around expensive wingers with NTCs. Where are the good centers, the defensive depth, solid goaltending or promising prospects? All this team has are a bunch of underachievers and youngsters who havet Bern thrown to the wolves.

Wild is a good team no doubt about it. This team dominated Hawks last playoffs but due to bad luck didn't make it past them.

bhawks1399*

Fire yeo, hire bylsma, trade koivu+ for a legit #1c give the C to parise, trade away some farm team for a good goalie

bhawks1399*

Bylsma is almost a carbon copy of Yeo. That team USA played identical to the Wild.

Carlyle then they need a change of coaching fast
Edit: although the systen of how they play isn't bad at all, they dominated the blackhawks last thursday but as usual, goaltending cost them the win, so I wouldn't** dump yeo because he's a bad coach I would dump him because, he's obviously not good at raising his players confidence to get them going

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Carlyle then they need a change of coaching fast

I think pretty much anybody would be better than Carlyle.

If they absolutely have to make a move immediately, they might want to take a look at Paul MacLean.

Otherwise, they'd be better to wait till the off-season to see who's available.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Fire Yeo and hire Bylsma before Tuesday's game with the Pens, it would make for a great headline.

Do the Wild have a lot to spend? Because it will cost at least a guaranteed $2 mil for the next two seasons to get DB.

If the Panthers had this money he would have been coaching there right now.

I don't think it is a good fit, I think Bylsma would do well with a young team.

Gundee1114

Aug 4, 2011
Minnesota
If Yeo is fired, my first choice for a replacement would be MacLean. If not, then Bylsma. Please no DeBoer, and especially no Carlyle. I'd take Tortorella before either of them.

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
I don't think the roster is built properly for the west. More of an Eastern Conference composition.

Picking up Vanek was a giant mistake.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
I don't think the roster is built properly for the west. More of an Eastern Conference composition.

Picking up Vanek was a giant mistake.

In hindsight it would have been better to pick up Niskanen instead but what can you do.

Cellee

Dec 20, 2014
In hindsight it would have been better to pick up Niskanen instead but what can you do.

The Wild are 2 months removed from a cumbersome Dany Heatley contract, and go out and sign Vanek to a Dany Heatley like contract.

Doing nothing would have been better.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad