Mike Yeo Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003
The only one who has used the savior word is you. The rest of us just want see a better coach than this one.

Good for you. Unless management does, you can wish in one hand...
My point is Laviolette seems to be the focus and I think it's because he's the only one out there and not that he'd be better or even the right one for the job.

Blizzard6411

#benchstoner
Feb 12, 2013
Seattle
My point is Laviolette seems to be the focus and I think it's because he's the only one out there and not that he'd be better or even the right one for the job.
If you think management isn't pretty close to our line of thinking than you are pretty naive and if you think they would make that known then you are beyond naive.

kfan22

Jun 20, 2012
If you think management isn't pretty close to our line of thinking than you are pretty naive and if you think they would make that known then you are beyond naive.

Leipold didnt shell out those contracts last year to be an 8 seed every year! I tweeted Russo tonight asking if he thought Yeo was in trouble but hasnt responded. I cant think Leipold is happy.

Ban Hammered

Disallowed & Inhibited
May 15, 2003

We won't know until he is fired or isn't now will we. But you don't have the first clue what management is thinking so calling me naive is funny.

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
You cannot change the whole team, so - change the coach.

But coaching is hardly the problem with this franchise - it's just and simply the lack of star power in the offense. No "system" will change that and magically turn grinders to crosbies.

The Wild should tank the following two seasons and hope they could land McDavid and (Dmitry) Sokolov in '15 and '16 drafts respectively.

Those two could turn any team from a bottom-feeder two a powerhouse. Like their lookalikes did in Pittsburgh once.

mezcal

Wild Complacency
Feb 19, 2013
CA

But coaching is hardly the problem with this franchise - it's just and simply the lack of star power in the offense. No "system" will change that and magically turn grinders to crosbies.

The Wild should tank the following two seasons and hope they could land McDavid and (Dmitry) Sokolov in '15 and '16 drafts respectively.

Those two could turn any team from a bottom-feeder two a powerhouse. Like their lookalikes did in Pittsburgh once.

Who are you?

We have blue chips in Granlund, Coyle, Nino, Brodin and Dumba. We sign Parise, Suter, trade for Pominville and we already had Koivu+.

This team has the players, just a mediocre coach. If you watched the Wild, you would know why we want our coach to lose his job.

kfan22

Jun 20, 2012

oh dear god lets tank with guys like Parise, Suter, Brodin and probably Vanek next year I have heard it all now LOL

BigT2002

Dec 6, 2006
Somwhere

There are other coaches out there, but Laviolette has at least seen the promised land and has done it with half the talent this team has. The issue we get is he pretty much kills the goaltending because it is an all out war to get the puck up ice. Honestly, if he comes I think we have a decent chance at signing Kimmo to a very short term contract (2 years) and splitting up the Top 4 minutes a little evenly...not to mention a more offensive threat on the blueline, to include a proven Dman (yes he's old) who can make outlet passes. Our defense is atrocious outside the Top 2 and it showed tonight. Spurgeon and Scandella on the bottom 6, I'm 100% ok with. Ballard needs someone to prop him up.

I'm torn with this statement because on one hand I think you're right, but on the other that is giving too much of an ego boost. Then again, it is also the reason Montreal let Halak leave and kept Price.

Leipold didnt shell out those contracts last year to be an 8 seed every year! I tweeted Russo tonight asking if he thought Yeo was in trouble but hasnt responded. I cant think Leipold is happy.

He won't. Everyone needs to understand that Russo is not your friend or some good guy who is going to "stick it to them." He gets paid to write stories for the Trib, the same place you are reading Hartman and Souhan articles about the Vikings and Twins. He will get down and dirty on Twitter from time to time, but he always pulls back come press time. Look at the game in San Jose. His Tweets were non stop how terrible the refs were. The next day he wrote an article about how we should feel bad about the refs.

He likes his job too much as a beat writer to piss off the Players, Yeo, Fletcher...or even Leipold.

Who are you?

We have blue chips in Granlund, Coyle, Nino, Brodin and Dumba. We sign Parise, Suter, trade for Pominville and we already had Koivu+.

This team has the players, just a mediocre coach. If you watched the Wild, you would know why we want our coach to lose his job.

Pretty much this is a decent statement about the state of the team. This is easily the most talented team Top-2-Bottom we've ever had. Even beating out the team that won a NW Division. Yet, they still cannot score, let alone make a PP look somewhat threatening.

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
Who are you?

Okay, just giving a different perspective; it may be as biased, wrong and flawed as any but as such it challenges the consensual notion prevailing here that the coach Yeo is to be blamed of all of "this" (whatever it is) and should be sacked and probably drowned in concrete shoes to Mississippi.

What do you get by firing him but another coach with his competencies, fixations, shortcomings and blind-spots -- and a short-term feeling of satisfaction and schadenfreude. Why would this Laviolette guy be an answer to your prayers??

I'm telling you it won't change ****. And GM Fletcher knows this by his long experience in the sports. That it's a crap shoot, gamble, only a trick, sleight of hand -- sometimes it works like magic, but more often not. Yet it won't work like a machine or a blueprint. There are so many factors, unknown parameters, hidden variables - it's no science nor engineering. It's essentially a hoax, a swindle, a charade; it's only a con, a form of a deception - a setup or theater. And when the curtain rises - you shut your eyes and hope the best.

Furthermore, hockey is not a game of chess. It's tactical reservoir is pretty limited, even more so in the small NA rink which makes the game predictable and rather one-dimensional, physical, hectic, fast. -- Thus, there's no such hockey mind nor genius who would conjure up some revolutionary new concept of playing by studying the game and its strategical options. These options are few, let me say, few indeed.

--So, what would a new coach bring to change this presumed "mess"? A new way of entering the o-zone? A different kind of possession game? A different defensive system? -- What? Tell me. -- Whatever he - whoever - brought or changed it would amount to nothing. Nothing if everything else remained the same. Namely, if the team didn't start winning; I mean started winning moreand losing less. And that's the trick you cannot learn from the books. It's the dark side of coaching: how to make a team win. There you can see a con artist mastering his profession; there you can see a trickery applauded by the audience as expertise, competence and mastery.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I agree the Wild lack elite offensive talent...the kids aren't there yet. May never be. But Yeo gets them to play well for a couple months then they collapse. Same thing under Richards. They need a coach with experience who can steady the team.

MNjens

Sep 27, 2013
This team needs a shakeup right now. It just sucks Heatley's salary restricts us in so many ways this season to make any moves.

mezcal

Wild Complacency
Feb 19, 2013
CA
Okay, just giving a different perspective; it may be as biased, wrong and flawed as any but as such it challenges the consensual notion prevailing here that the coach Yeo is to be blamed of all of "this" (whatever it is) and should be sacked and probably drowned in concrete shoes to Mississippi.

What do you get by firing him but another coach with his competencies, fixations, shortcomings and blind-spots -- and a short-term feeling of satisfaction and schadenfreude. Why would this Laviolette guy be an answer to your prayers??

I'm telling you it won't change ****. And GM Fletcher knows this by his long experience in the sports. That it's a crap shoot, gamble, only a trick, sleight of hand -- sometimes it works like magic, but more often not. Yet it won't work like a machine or a blueprint. There are so many factors, unknown parameters, hidden variables - it's no science nor engineering. It's essentially a hoax, a swindle, a charade; it's only a con, a form of a deception - a setup or theater. And when the curtain rises - you shut your eyes and hope the best.

Furthermore, hockey is not a game of chess. It's tactical reservoir is pretty limited, even more so in the small NA rink which makes the game predictable and rather one-dimensional, physical, hectic, fast. -- Thus, there's no such hockey mind nor genius who would conjure up some revolutionary new concept of playing by studying the game and its strategical options. These options are few, let me say, few indeed.

--So, what would a new coach bring to change this presumed "mess"? A new way of entering the o-zone? A different kind of possession game? A different defensive system? -- What? Tell me. -- Whatever he - whoever - brought or changed it would amount to nothing. Nothing if everything else remained the same. Namely, if the team didn't start winning; I mean started winning moreand losing less. And that's the trick you cannot learn from the books. It's the dark side of coaching: how to make a team win. There you can see a con artist mastering his profession; there you can see a trickery applauded by the audience as expertise, competence and mastery.

Your argument is invalid.

Over the last 2 1/2 years Mike Yeo has shown that he can coach an NHL team for a half a season or less. We have been terribly inconsistent. From 2011/12, we have had a 70% roster turnover and still a similar outcome. His system is stale, this team is stale. We could obviously use better players, but with the players we have we should be able to do MUCH more.

Let me give you an example. Some simple facts. Phoenix, who has less offensive talent than us, has scored more goals than us this year. Why? Because they have an excellent coach, and this is recognized throughout the league. The LA Kings acquired several stars before the 2011-12 season and just could not score to start the season. The management responded by firing their head coach and hiring Darryl Sutter. The team later that year one the cup as the 8th seed, the first to do so. Pittsburgh fired their head coach in 2008-09 with 4 months left in the season, and hired Dan Bylsma. They later that season won the cup. Coaches make a big difference.

Watch our post game interviews from tonight. The players look confused, disappointed and defeated physically and morally. Something needs to change. We have not been able to score under coach Yeo. He got us to the playoffs, one year, just barely. We only got into the playoffs because another team lost.

Under Yeo, this team has not had the grit we need or the fight and determination to come back in games. We can't finish, and all we seem to do is pass. The Wild have a habit of playing along the boards and dumping the puck. Many of the goals that we actually score come from shooting in the slot, which seems to be avoided or tough to get into because of the system we play.

Tank for superstars? Yeah that will help us out!!!!

dNuMwSw.png

Hockey is a simple game. There doesn't need to be a lot of 'science' involved and it doesn't need to be over thought. We don't need to tank, and our coach needs to be replaced.

forthewild

Aug 17, 2009
I don't think GMCF is paniking quite yet, tho he might be looking at the button once in a while.

Laviollete is a dude i think most people assume, but what scares me abouth im is he kind of wears on a team and seems to lose his welcome with this players. Tho a few playoff years and a reset wouldn't be so bad.

forthewild

Aug 17, 2009
This team needs a shakeup right now. It just sucks Heatley's salary restricts us in so many ways this season to make any moves.

Ummm, no it does not, it restricted us a bit in the off season but it does not now. We have the players, we have the team to make the playoffs, the shake up is going to be a coach, or the whole damn staff.

We are set up quiten nicely with the cap going up, heater off the books, and backstrom buyout (yeah i said buyout)

So Yeo is looking like the odd duck out,

MNjens

Sep 27, 2013
Ummm, no it does not, it restricted us a bit in the off season but it does not now. We have the players, we have the team to make the playoffs, the shake up is going to be a coach, or the whole damn staff.

We are set up quiten nicely with the cap going up, heater off the books, and backstrom buyout (yeah i said buyout)

So Yeo is looking like the odd duck out,

This team might be a Stanley Cup contender in the future but not this year. To many young players developing in the NHL with veterans trying to win now.

MNjens

Sep 27, 2013
This team is assembled so strangely.

It is an odd mix of youngsters and veterans. I'm not going to blame scoring troubles on the young guys, cuz we can't expect them to be consistent scorers just yet. I'm mostly disappointed in a few veterans Brodziak/Heater/Mitchell.

Brodzy and Mitchell have been good defensively but our legit bums offensively. No hands, no skill just nothing. I'll put most the blame on Brodzy but if this team wants to go somewhere this year they need him to step up and find his freaking game. Or GMCF needs to look to trade him before the deadline and bring in and more offensive 3rd liner if possible.

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
I feel exactly the same.

If we fired Yeo now, and hired Laviolette.. This team COULD end up being very solid going into next year with our youngsters getting bigger and better.

I don't think Laviolette is the answer at all. He seems to have no defensive system, it's all about offense. If we go into that mess, we won't get far. I also don't think it's a coincidence he seems to lose the room after a certain time period. We have some players who I have heard can be challenging to coach, and hiring a guy who loses his credibility on every team he coaches doesn't exactly sound like a good idea.

Yeo has his flaws, but until there are better candidates available than Laviolette, he should stay.

Caior89

Mar 31, 2011
We could have Cullen playing for us because of Heater, but that's just one player and i doubt it would dramatically change something.

Not a big fan of Laviolette either. Hitchcock and Tipp would be awesome... but this ship as sailed.

kfan22

Jun 20, 2012
Scoring slump? Time to bring up Veilleux!

I knew they would do a callup today, just figured it would be Zucker! They send a guy down who is capable of creating offense for Veilleux!! I dont get it!

kfan22

Jun 20, 2012
I bet he puts Heatley back in the top six and Pominville back on the top line.

I think the Top 6 will stay the same. Time to put Heatley in the press box!

I guess Russo says Yeo will keep the lines a secret for now LOL

Michael Russo ‏@Russostrib 19m
Yeo will keep lines as a surprise but we can expect Veilleux-Konopka-Mitchell; Stoner (lower) out, Prosser in for 1st x in 14 games #mnwild

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad