Rumor: Mike Weaver - Out?

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Surprised I didn't see a thread about weaver on the main boards, so thought i'd make one...

I just saw on RDS this morning, that Weaver has not been made an offer to yet, and his agent has no meetings scheduled with Bergevin before july 1st and therefore Weaver is expected to sign elsewhere.

Anyone else surprised by this? I thought after the way everyone thought the played great in the playoffs and down the stretch and for a cheap price at that, he would be a definately re-sign with the Habs.

Do you still think/expect a deal gets done with Montreal? Are you ok with him leaving if not, or disappointed?

Personally - I like Weaver and would have loved to see him stay. Can't say im too horribly upset if he does leave though, i don't feel as though he's as important as say Markov, who i'm glad we did sign.

Thoughts?

I think it has everything to do with the bare UFA market on defense and nothing to do with the Habs not wanting him back.

In a normal year he'd be back on a 1 year 1.5-2 mil or 2 year 3-3.5 mil deal. Given the lack of quality UFA d-men he might get 2-3 years at 2+ AAV on the market.

CHarlie

They feed me CHicken
Feb 3, 2012
Ontario
Habs will throw an offer at Weaver I am sure.........Weaver will wait and see what options there are........cant really blame him that's for sure.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Don't think this has been posted...makes a lot of sense...

Renaud Lavoie ‏@renlavoietva · 18h
From the outside, my understanding of Mike Weaver situation is he's asking for more $ than the Habs are willing to pay.

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
Good. We have too many smurfs. No excuses.

Pateryn will be 25 and he's big and had a great year hope to see him start at 3rdRD

From the outside, my understanding of Mike Weaver situation is he's asking for more $ than the Habs are willing to pay.

Weaver has never earned more than $1.1m and he's small and 36yrs old. Healthy scratch on the Panthers this season ffs, was on a two-way contract just four years ago, he let all the HF Habs love go to his head hehehe. It's nuts if he thinks he can triple his best-ever contract.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada

I wonder how much he's asking for. I'd imagine the Habs would be fine with 2 million, maybe he's asking for 3?

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
I wonder how much he's asking for. I'd imagine the Habs would be fine with 2 million, maybe he's asking for 3?

Even 2M seems like a lot. I'd go max 1.5M / 1 year. At any rate, I'd not go beyond 1 year.

While I'd love for us to get him back, there has to got to be other hidden gems available for near nothing. Pro scouts get to work.

FlyingKostitsyn

Mar 7, 2008
Quebec
Its also said on RDS that Bouillon hasn't received an offer either, and I'm sure Murray won't too.

Very good, hopefully Bergevin has a target in mind :D

Get a solid top4 defensemen and let the kids play!

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Andy Strickland just reported he's likely going to hit July 1st.

I like Weaver, he is a warrior. I don't blame him for trying to cash in with his heightened stock after a very good playoff. He'll deserve his contract.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
I like Weaver, he is a warrior. I don't blame him for trying to cash in with his heightened stock after a very good playoff. He'll deserve his contract.

Makes sense. He's a guy that's never had a long term deal, I don't think...the biggest deal he's had is 2 years 2.2 mil that he signed 2 years ago.

eFFeRR

Major League Hockey
Dec 11, 2013
Would love to have Weaver back but not at a $2.5m+ cap hit..

If he is not back, it just means more ice time for Tinordi and Beaulieu which is great news..

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
I like Weaver, he shows a tonne of guts but there shouldn't be a single fan happy with the overall defense we saw this year. Price way to often needed to make five bell saves. Add in combination of poor team defense and defense coach who couldn't play defense in his own regard when he played, you had Price having to stand on his head.

My opinion, if you can't make move that helps the defense for multiple years, say Niskanin or Stralman, or something thru trade, then you go with youth or 1 year vet signings

Video Coach

Sep 16, 2005
He'll either sign with us for 1 yr $1.5M or he'll sign with someone else for more. He was great but we don't have extra money to spend on depth defensemen. He may be looking for a few yrs security and we can't offer that with our 3 young d men (potentially plus Nygren) in the wings. You can't pay all your warriors $2.5M like Prust.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
He took 1 for the team LOL

Go get that money Mikey

852692655.gif

852692264.gif

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
Good. We have too many smurfs. No excuses.

Pateryn will be 25 and he's big and had a great year hope to see him start at 3rdRD

Weaver has never earned more than $1.1m and he's small and 36yrs old. Healthy scratch on the Panthers this season ffs, was on a two-way contract just four years ago, he let all the HF Habs love go to his head hehehe. It's nuts if he thinks he can triple his best-ever contract.

Agree.

Weaver was nothing more than an insurance policy for last season.

Time for the kids to step up and earn their spot.

Still shocked that he is such a fan favorite here even though he is a carbon copy of the often hated Gorges.

Habitants

Oct 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
I like weaver, he woukd be nice to have but I could live without him if it means pateryn or nygren are permitted to play. but that would be a very raw bottom pair with tinordi or beaulieu, unless they mix it up.

or maybe they can trade for someone like bogosian.

either way the only way I would take bouillon back is if he will sit in the pressbox. no more than 15games. It's time to play the young d so they can get some experience!

Goldthorpe

Meditating Guru
Jan 22, 2003
Montreal
During his press conference today MB said the only players he didn't have any talk with were Murray, Vanek and Parros. So the habs have some interest in bringing Weaver back. He's probably shopping around if another team wants to give him 2 years.

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
Waever was great for the Habs last year. With that being said he is not like many typical 36 year old players. He has not really cashed in before. I know that it sounds like a lot but he has only made 6.1 million in his entire career.

Now to us normal people that is a lot of money. To a pro athlete who is in the twilight of their career he has not cashed in much at all. I can see him wanting to sign for as much as he can. He is one player who deserves it.

JohnnyReb

Apr 26, 2003
Visit site
Waever was great for the Habs last year. With that being said he is not like many typical 36 year old players. He has not really cashed in before. I know that it sounds like a lot but he has only made 6.1 million in his entire career.

Now to us normal people that is a lot of money. To a pro athlete who is in the twilight of their career he has not cashed in much at all. I can see him wanting to sign for as much as he can. He is one player who deserves it.

I think most people, athletes and non-athletes alike, have a very poor understanding of just how much money you need to retire. I see people saying all the time "He made $5 million, he can just retire".

No, usually you can't. Take Weaver. He's made $6 million over his career. Of that I would say $3 million is probably lost to taxes. So he's "banked" $3 million. But of course he has to live during that time. So let's assume he spent $1 million of that, buying houses, cars, vacations, and so on. That leaves him with $2 million to retire on, at the age of say 38.

Sorry, but $2 million is not going to last you 50 years, which would take Weaver to the age of 88 or so. Even if you invest it soundly, and live on a "modest" lifestyle of $100,000 a year you're still going to run out. Google any retirement calculator and run the numbers, you'll see.

There is a reason why most people, and not just athletes, are woefully unprepared for retirement. It takes a lot of banked money to live with no income. A LOT. The younger you are, the more you are going to need.

JoelWarlord

Ex-Noob616
May 7, 2012
Halifax
Mildly disappointed as I'd be happy with him back as a 3rd pairing guy (good partner for either Beaulieu or Tinordi), but I'm glad to see MB is willing to walk away if the money is too high.

However if we go sign Bouillion for 1.5M again I won't be thrilled.

habfaninvictoria

Nov 1, 2007
Victoria BC
From Weavers end he'd be a fool not to explore what money is available UFA. He'll get serious offers.

All teams are going after the same small pool of players. He's in it.

From our end why limit ourselves to just this option. I think Tinordi and Beaulieu are going to get a chance to play. MB is looking at that same pool. Weavers not the best in it, but MB needs to look at all options too. By signing Weaver early he is essentially limiting his options. We have (including PK) 4 D committed for next year. Add the 3 young guys and that 7 NHL ready D.

He'll be signing someone, but I think he's working on something big.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Mildly disappointed as I'd be happy with him back as a 3rd pairing guy (good partner for either Beaulieu or Tinordi), but I'm glad to see MB is willing to walk away if the money is too high.

However if we go sign Bouillion for 1.5M again I won't be thrilled.

Fact he's still talking to Cube doesn't thrill me and guessing that's the backup plan he eluded to and will go that route on a shorter term rather than sign Weaver for 3 years

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00