Rumor: Mike Weaver - Out?

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Surprised I didn't see a thread about weaver on the main boards, so thought i'd make one...

I just saw on RDS this morning, that Weaver has not been made an offer to yet, and his agent has no meetings scheduled with Bergevin before july 1st and therefore Weaver is expected to sign elsewhere.

Anyone else surprised by this? I thought after the way everyone thought the played great in the playoffs and down the stretch and for a cheap price at that, he would be a definately re-sign with the Habs.

Do you still think/expect a deal gets done with Montreal? Are you ok with him leaving if not, or disappointed?

Personally - I like Weaver and would have loved to see him stay. Can't say im too horribly upset if he does leave though, i don't feel as though he's as important as say Markov, who i'm glad we did sign.

Thoughts?

Raimu

That weird Dragon girl
Jan 21, 2006
Halifax, NS
I loved the way Weaver played for us, however, it's no secret that the's basically the steal of the trade deadline, and Weaver is probably looking for a raise.

At 1-1.5 Weaver is re-signed in a heartbeat... but he's probably looking for something closer to 3x3? And as much as I love Weaver, he's small, he's a depth guy, and he's a bit of a dinosaur.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
I wouldn't mind either way.

He's a #6 defenseman in my eyes and I would welcome him back in that spot but I also think it's time for one of the kids to step in and get regular NHL icetime.

Our defense, with Weaver, lacks a lot of footspeed. It was exposed against the Rangers.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I loved the way Weaver played for us, however, it's no secret that the's basically the steal of the trade deadline, and Weaver is probably looking for a raise.

At 1-1.5 Weaver is re-signed in a heartbeat... but he's probably looking for something closer to 3x3? And as much as I love Weaver, he's small, he's a depth guy, and he's a bit of a dinosaur.

I agree that if I'm Weaver, i'm looking for a raise. I believe he can get it based on his play. 3mil per year may be much, but also not necessarily as solid defenseman tend to get that.

However, RDS's story seemed to claim there have been no talks between habs. So it didn't make it sound like they're far apart and therefore might not agree, but RDS made it sound like Habs simply didn't have any interest, which I found very surprising.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Would really like a RHD that can move the puck out of the zone and rely less on shot blocking, won't be upset if he's back for under $2MM on short term but would rather target a younger more mobile RHD that could play Top 4 if needed

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I would rather talk about the habs great puck possession abilities than the value of shot blockers like Weaver and Gorges that save your bacon when your pinned in your zone for way too long. It is an important skill on the pk however and I am surprised that they would not sign weaver as a depth guy that gets 50+ games a year while the young guys transition into the lineup. Maybe Bergevin will give Boullion a 3 year deal instead.:laugh::laugh:

Joannie9

Aug 10, 2009
If we weren't stacked with defense prospects he would have been signed by now. Yes Weaver has been good for us but we need to make room for Beaulieu, Tinordi, Pateryn and Nygren who will probably all be better defensemen than Weaver.

crazyd

Canada is hockey
Jul 2, 2006
Weaver >> Bouillon

And I have always been a Cube fan.

$1.5M on a 1 year deal - especially since he is a good tutor for our young core of D-men.

RaMMuT

Tank Nation 2012
Jul 22, 2009
Montreal
Bring him back!

I find he is very solid defensively. We definately need someone like him! Plus he's right handed, we need more of those...

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Weaver kind of players get overrated really quickly here in Montreal. I don't think he's a particularly essential fit for our team if he asks for too much. Gorges and him taking 1/3 of the room on D is too much. Essentially playing the same role.

puckeater

Dec 3, 2005
Both parties were able to help each other. Weaver was given a prominent role in MTL under media and huge fan base scrutiny. He took advantage of it to raise his stock and helped fill a void on D for us. Perfectly executed late season pick up.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
I like Weaver and he was great for us, but it is time to let the kids come in. Obviously if he's willing to take a year deal for $1.5 million I'd love to have him back to add depth, but obviously he's looking for more than a year and a nice pay increase after his very good playoffs. Seems like a great guy so I hope he can get a 2 or 3 year deal with a solid raise, just would rather spend that money for help up front.

Fozz

Aug 1, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
I would rather talk about the habs great puck possession abilities than the value of shot blockers like Weaver and Gorges that save your bacon when your pinned in your zone for way too long. It is an important skill on the pk however and I am surprised that they would not sign weaver as a depth guy that gets 50+ games a year while the young guys transition into the lineup. Maybe Bergevin will give Boullion a 3 year deal instead.:laugh::laugh:

Luckily for us, possession is overrated and shot blocking underrated. Good thing coaches understand that.

As for Weaver, the team is more than likely working on a better option.

Coldplay

Courage
Aug 21, 2008
Montréal
Read a tweet (forget from who) that he was asking more than the Habs were willing to give right now. I still think he'll end up signing.

Harry Wong

Oct 25, 2009
Our defense needs to get bigger and tougher. Iwould rather put up with Tinordi's mistakes next year than resign a small experienced D.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad