Rumor: Mike Smith Trade Rumor from Kypreos

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
As a casual fan who isn't real deep into the statistics but just a fan of my team because this is my community...I can't and don't care about ANYTHING going on with the team until we know whether it'll still be our team in the future..

I don't think you have to worry there for at least 2-3 seasons. Next season is probably 95% likely (random percentages based on what all is going on in the league). 2018-2019 is currently 85% likely. 2019-2020 is currently 70% likely. So, I wouldn't be concerned until then.

The percentages change if there is enough of a shake-up in ownership. They could potentially go into another agreement with GRA if certain people are removed from the ownership group.

The percentages also change once the 32nd team is expanded to. I don't think that's coming for around 3 seasons (at least), but you never know. Once the new expansion team is added, I'm guessing several teams will be moving unless they significantly improve (financially) in the next few seasons.

In terms of Smith, I can't see Philly being interested (or Mason for that matter). I'm guessing Mason will probably end up in Calgary before Smith. Philly would be smarter to sign one of the UFA goalies. I'd recommend Condon or Bernier, but they may want longer terms than Philly would like with their developing goalies (more than 3 years). For more solid or shorter term options, Miller or Budaj would probably do the trick.

RufusG

May 23, 2017
Could be feigned interest in Smith to try to drive down the MAF price.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Chayka on Smith talk.....

http://arizonasports.com/story/1138831/yotes-notes-chayka-trade-talks-smiths-extremely-high-value/

MIKE SMITH TRADE TALK

Goalie Mike Smith has been the subject of recent trade speculation.

Here’s what Chayka had to say about that speculation.

“If it’s being viewed as me making Mike available and starting a bidding war, that’s not the case,†he said. “We’re taking calls on players every year. I don’t think anyone is untradeable but like we talked about last year with Oliver Ekman-Larsson, he’s up as high on that list as anyone.

“There’s a value to our team that Mike has, being an All-Star and our rock. His value is extremely high but if someone wants to pay an even higher value for him, that’s the industry.â€

Trading Smith would put the Coyotes in a quandary in goal. They do not believe Louis Domingue is ready to assume that role and none of their prospects — Adin Hill being chief among them — is ready for that jump.

“Goaltending is such a premium position and Mike was as good as anyone in the leaue last year,†Chayka said.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Keep pumping those tires... If there's any interest, he should be gone.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
OK, on the supposition that Smith is gone, who comes our way? MAF? We have no goaltenders in the system ready to take Smith's place.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
If the goal is to get younger in net, you're only gaining 3 years from Smith (35) to MAF (32). My pick right now would be Grubauer (25).

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
OK, on the supposition that Smith is gone, who comes our way? MAF? We have no goaltenders in the system ready to take Smith's place.

I tossed out Fleury name months ago. Doesn't sound like he's willing to go to Calgary.

Likely we would deal for Grubauer. Hutton?

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
I tossed out Fleury name months ago. Doesn't sound like he's willing to go to Calgary.

Likely we would deal for Grubauer. Hutton?

That would make Mouser very happy what with his Hans Grubauer avatar. Question is, Is Grubauer really ready to be a #1?

yea, I know. sounds good, though.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Expansion Draft:
69th+McGinn to VGK for future considerations
Smith+Duclair+78th for Bennett+Stajan+Bouma
23rd overall for Josh Anderson (replaces Duclair)

Entry Draft:
Pick Makar 7th

Summer:
Buyout Stajan+Bouma
Sign Brian Elliott
Sign Radim Vrbata

Domi-Dvorak-Anderson <--London south
Perlini-Strome-Vrbata <--snipe-pass-snipe
Keller-Bennett-Rieder <--go-go speed kills
Nook-Richardson-Fischer <--we want this

OEL-Murphy
Goligoski-DeAngelo
Chychrun-Schenn
Connauton

Elliott
Domingue

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
The way Friedman words it makes me think we'd trade Smith for picks rather than useless roster crap.

My thinking would be then to flip those picks and some of our own for other roster needs - replacement goalie, maybe Stepan. Maybe Dumba?

0point1

Sep 14, 2011
Arizona
That would be a very intriguing lineup rt. If we went with that lineup I wouldn't know who to blame when things went bad besides Tippett. :D

The wildcard is Strome. God I hope he gets it together and starts to shine.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Expansion Draft:
69th+McGinn to VGK for future considerations
Smith+Duclair+78th for Bennett+Stajan+Bouma
23rd overall for Josh Anderson (replaces Duclair)

Entry Draft:
Pick Makar 7th

Summer:
Buyout Stajan+Bouma
Sign Brian Elliott
Sign Radim Vrbata

Domi-Dvorak-Anderson <--London south
Perlini-Strome-Vrbata <--snipe-pass-snipe
Keller-Bennett-Rieder <--go-go speed kills
Nook-Richardson-Fischer <--we want this

OEL-Murphy
Goligoski-DeAngelo
Chychrun-Schenn
Connauton

Elliott
Domingue

So, you are trading Smith, Duclair + 78th for Bennett? I know you don't like Smith, but this trade is a big no from me. Josh Anderson would give us some grit, but I don't think I would trade our 23rd. OA for him. He did have a good year, but so did Duclair his first full year.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
The way Friedman words it makes me think we'd trade Smith for picks rather than useless roster crap.

My thinking would be then to flip those picks and some of our own for other roster needs - replacement goalie, maybe Stepan. Maybe Dumba?

Maybe, but with the cap and everything, that would narrow it down to only a few teams.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
That would be a very intriguing lineup rt. If we went with that lineup I wouldn't know who to blame when things went bad besides Tippett. :D

The wildcard is Strome. God I hope he gets it together and starts to shine.

Our D. Same as last year and probably have similar results unless the forwards hold onto the puck for 90% of the time.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I'm glad we're not simply giving away Smith.

This is interesting from Calgary's perspective. Treliving and Maloney know Smitty well. What are their other options? They can't bring back Elliott after his playoffs. UFA has crap like Mason and Bernier, while Miller wants to stay on the West coast, so either re-sign in Vancouver or maybe to go Anaheim as their backup (his wife is an actress in LA). Only other short-term trade option could be MAF and who knows if he's willing to go to Calgary. He'll have a steeper price tag too.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Just don't protect him. If Vegas wants him, they can have him. Reset the room.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix

I'm wondering if the Coyotes do move Smith or Vegas takes him that Doan just calls it a career. Almost all his buds are gone and he reacts negatively every time one goes. Although it would be hilariously telling if Doan didn't react negatively :popcorn:

Seems like the perfect time to turn the page really. No drawn out retirement tour is probably for the best given his performance last year.

Getting another youngish goalie is fine with me. Would be a bad situation though if somehow the Coyotes couldn't land a decent one and Smith is gone.

I've been done with Smith since '14 but just didn't think they'd actually cut him loose.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA

Getting something for him would be a better option. If no one is interested, go ahead. Of course Vegas would probably pass on him :P

I wonder what 8 teams would be on his list? TB, DAL, NJ, BUF, MTL, EDM, COL, and VAN would be my guess.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Would not miss that embellishment, diving **** he does. Maybe OEL would cut that **** out too if Smith was gone. That's the kind of influence a young team definitely doesn't need.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Basically. I don't see Miller as a big downgrade. There are lots of other options to take a chance on as well. Just turn the page and free up some money. If we can get an asset, this should be a no-brainer. Even without one, I'd leave him exposed. Thanks for the memories, but I want Doan and Smith gone along with the coach. Turn the page.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad