Rumor: Mike Smith Trade Rumor from Kypreos

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
The collective obsession with Duclair still surprises me. He remains a promising offensive player, but the fact that he could only produce with Domi is more damning of him than of Tippett, who likely would have paired them together more had Domi not missed nearly two months with an injury anyway. It's also worth mentioning that Duclair's CF% was identical with and without Domi. His individual shot generation was steady all year and better than last year, as well (5.4 shots per 60 minutes this year versus 4.47 last year).

There is more to developing players than just putting them in the cushiest situation. Even with a scoring wing, you want him to broaden his toolset. The fact that Tippett was able to put Duclair in a variety of roles while maintaining decent shot production is a good sign for Duclair's future. There are only so many sheltered minutes available, and as the Coyotes continue to onboard young players, guys like Duclair need to transition to tougher situations.

I think he's got at least a handful of 20+ goals seasons in him. Simple as that.

rt

May 13, 2004
Why in the world would they give up #16? We'll take back a contract to even out the money and a midround pick. Goalies aren't worth much on the trade market. Particularly 35 yr old, overpaid ones, with a history of inconsistency.

Flames fan offered Bouma and Mason McDonald. Assuming we buy out Bouma (roughly 800k for each of the next two seasons) it works out to Smith for an AHL goalie. Which is fine by me.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Dave would love Bouma. He's not going to get bought out if we got him.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Why in the world would they give up #16? We'll take back a contract to even out the money and a midround pick. Goalies aren't worth much on the trade market. Particularly 35 yr old, overpaid ones, with a history of inconsistency.

Do they need cap space and do they have a bad contract they need to move?

Keep in mind that Maloney and Treliving were set to deal Ribeiro and Arizona's first (Perlini's) together him out of the organization before Ribeiro declined to waive his NTC.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Ha how about calgary 1st round for Smith and Minnesota pick? Treviling really wants Smith, right?

rt

May 13, 2004
Ha how about calgary 1st round for Smith and Minnesota pick? Treviling really wants Smith, right?

I'd personally pin a medal to Chayka's lapel. I think hoping for tangible value for Smith is a little nuts. Best case scenario is nothing at all. Most likely is some money we have to sink into something worse but cheaper.

rt

May 13, 2004
It's Sunday and I'm bored.

Running with Smith talk.

Smith 50 percent retained
Duclair
Calgarys 3rd round pick (Stone trade)
Detroit 3rd rounder. (Previously acquired)

For
Sam Bennett
Brouwer (assuming they need to shed contract)

I was too harsh. Ditch the retention on Smith, and replace Brouwer with Bouma and Stajan, both of whom we can buy out. Doing so would cost us 1.6m each of the next two seasons.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Kypreos saying Smith is out there on the trade market. I love it.

Uh.... teams have inquired TO about him. That isn't what you're implying.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/rumour-roundup-asking-price-high-canucks-chris-tanev/

COYOTES LISTENING ON MIKE SMITH?

As Arizona continues building more for the future than the present, the team seems willing to move 35-year-old goalie Mike Smith.

Smith is making $5.66 million against the cap for this season and next before his contract expires and is coming off a season in which he posted a .914 save percentage. With Ben Bishop signing in Dallas and Scott Darling signing in Carolina, the number of goalies who can make a difference for a team are starting to dwindle. Smith has reached a conference final with the Coyotes, so he’s proven capable of leading a team deep in the playoffs before.

"A lot of teams are asking Arizona about Mike Smith," Sportsnet's Nick Kypreos said. "Mike Smith of course wants to win now. The feeling in Arizona is they might go much younger. Talk is the salary cap might force them to be bottom-feeders, which means they might finally be ready to move Mike Smith."

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
"Talk is the salary cap might force them to be bottom-feeders"

Makes no sense. We were already bottom feeders for the past four years. We aren't being restricted by the salary cap. It's our best friend at the moment. We're restricted by institutional poverty and incompetence.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Who benefits most if this leaks? I always ask myself that when I hear this insider stuff. I view this as a Coyote leak to try and create a market.

I thought about that.

McPhee openly leaked that Vegas already got inquiries about "big contract" trades last week.

But at this point that wasn't what was said so it's a premature to presume otherwise.

And I agree with Del's point about Kypreos predicting we would go bottom feeding and actually get younger. IIRC we were the youngest roster in the league last year (even with Doan and Smith) and we want to get even younger??.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Uh.... teams have inquired TO about him. That isn't what you're implying.

Guy, it's the same thing. If the team is taking calls, they're open to moving him. If it's acknowledged behind the scenes that Smith has a reason for wanting to move, he was made available to other teams.

Good riddance if he goes. I think he's part of the poison in the room.

Puck possession wins

Jan 17, 2014
Is a Smith trade like martin Jones a few years ago? Potentially traded for a 1st rounder in this years draft, nothing else?

Now I know Mike Smith is no Martin Jones, but Calgary desperately needs a goalie and Treliving and Maloney both work in Calgary.

Smith for 16

16, 34 and Merkley for 10

7th- Villardi/Mittelstadt
10th- Liljegren

YotesFan47

Jun 16, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona USA
I was too harsh. Ditch the retention on Smith, and replace Brouwer with Bouma and Stajan, both of whom we can buy out. Doing so would cost us 1.6m each of the next two seasons.

We could always keep Stajan, he'd make a nice 3/4c. This is especially true if Richardson has trouble with recovering. Otherwise I'm sold.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
The collective obsession with Duclair still surprises me. He remains a promising offensive player, but the fact that he could only produce with Domi is more damning of him than of Tippett, who likely would have paired them together more had Domi not missed nearly two months with an injury anyway. It's also worth mentioning that Duclair's CF% was identical with and without Domi. His individual shot generation was steady all year and better than last year, as well (5.4 shots per 60 minutes this year versus 4.47 last year).

There is more to developing players than just putting them in the cushiest situation. Even with a scoring wing, you want him to broaden his toolset. The fact that Tippett was able to put Duclair in a variety of roles while maintaining decent shot production is a good sign for Duclair's future. There are only so many sheltered minutes available, and as the Coyotes continue to onboard young players, guys like Duclair need to transition to tougher situations.

I agree. This is a big year for Duclair. Let's see what he is made of.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Who benefits most if this leaks? I always ask myself that when I hear this insider stuff. I view this as a Coyote leak to try and create a market.

You could be right. I thought Smith would ride out his contract with the Coyotes, but with the year he had and with two years left on his contract they may want to get an asset for him. I wonder if this all started with his comments at the end of the regular season.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I'd pass on Neuvirth. Was a big fan of him when he was with Hershey and Washington but he's never come close to his potential. He may be the one goalie more injury prone than Smith as well.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
They should be talking to the Flyers. Mason threw some shade at the end of the year which management couldn't have liked. Hextall said they would address the goaltending situation. They did not resign Mason. He also complained about his amount of starts and then Hextall gave the number of starts he had (it was ~51, so Hextall didn't know what the hell Mason was talking about)-- things are strained with Mason.

The Flyers have a lot of strong goalie prospects, but need a layover until they are ready. Players seem to really enjoy playing here, recommend it as a landing spot to other players, so maybe Smith would consider it. They rebuilt their D (minus MacDonald, ugh). Two of their high tier d prospects will probably make it out of camp (Sanheim, Hagg, Morin, heck, maybe even Myers) and the forward core will also be improved as Lindblom is coming over + the #2 overall may make it out of camp.

Flyers also need depth at wing, so Duke maybe someone they would be interested in.

Last edited:

Spirit of Lindgren

Jan 1, 2016
As a casual fan who isn't real deep into the statistics but just a fan of my team because this is my community and i want to be standing there present and accounted for each game, supporting my city, I can't and don't care about ANYTHING going on with the team until we know whether it;ll still be our team in the future..
I hate that too.
It will be great to start devouring every Coyotes article in the papers OR to cast the sport aside when they leave.
Smitty being traded?
I have no opinion on it until I find out whether the trade involves the Arizona Coyotes or another cities team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad