Rumor: Mike Smith Trade Rumor from Kypreos

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
If we could retain 50% on Smith and get a good asset, and then use that remaining 50% on Elliott (3m in yr1 and 2.5m in yr2) that would be a huge win.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
There was some talk of Bennett wanting out and I recall there may have been some interest in Duclair at some point.

I'd really like Smith, but Bennett won't be dealt. Those rumors came from some ******** twitter called **********. Not reliable at all.

As for Duclair, Calgary has a logjam on LW as is. He won't be ahead of Gaudreau or Tkachuk. He'd be fighting for a spot in the bottom 6.

Edit: The twitter was called Rumor Break. Hfboards censors it as one word, which sums up how I feel about rumor break.

Last edited:

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
As for Duclair, Calgary has a logjam on LW as is. He won't be ahead of Gaudreau or Tkachuk. He'd be fighting for a spot in the bottom 6.

Actually, although Duclair shoots left, he has played RW while in the NHL (or at least as long as he's been with us). Probably still not appealing to the Flames, but just wanted to correct it.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Actually, although Duclair shoots left, he has played RW while in the NHL (or at least as long as he's been with us). Probably still not appealing to the Flames, but just wanted to correct it.

Calgary really needs a right handed shot though. They have one in their top 9 right now, and that's Brouwer. Two if Versteeg is brought back. Duclair also really doesn't fit the role that the top line is lacking. Ferland likely remains in that spot unless someone better is signed. Duclair would likely be on the LW of the 3rd line if he were with the Flames.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Calgary really needs a right handed shot though. They have one in their top 9 right now, and that's Brouwer. Two if Versteeg is brought back. Duclair also really doesn't fit the role that the top line is lacking. Ferland likely remains in that spot unless someone better is signed. Duclair would likely be on the LW of the 3rd line if he were with the Flames.

Duclair will not thrive on a 3rd line if he has to check or create energy. Duclair is a scoring forward.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
If we could retain 50% on Smith and get a good asset, and then use that remaining 50% on Elliott (3m in yr1 and 2.5m in yr2) that would be a huge win.

So why wouldn't a team just sign Elliott and not lose an asset? Is that asset by any chance be a 7th rounder you have been talking about?:)

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Proposal

To CGY:
Smith
23ov

To ARI:
Bouma(for buyout)
16ov
Elliott/'18 4th(if AZ doesn't sign him)

The problem here is by trading his rights, the Flames lose that conditional 3rd in the original deal to acquire Elliott.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Oh snap. Did not know. Forget that part. Just give us "permission" to chat with him, then.

U4d1Nlm.gif

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I'd be fine with that. I doubt we'd buy out Bouma. Tippett would ride him.

Mosby

Fire Bettman
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
“A move-down scenario is something we’re looking at,” Treliving said. “If I was to crystal-ball it, I think we’re picking at 16.”

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...rch-alex-ovechkin-trade-rumour-brian-elliott/

Maybe hbk was right on the money with Smith+23 for 16

I think you can justify that. I don't think Chayka can say Smith is "our rock" and "extremely valuable" and trade him for some low-end pick crap return.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
If Smith ended up being worth 7 slots in the first round I would probably laugh hysterically for 5 minutes so this must happen.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
That's in 2nd round pick territory for value. Add a bad contract in Bouma, and I think it works.

Murf

Apr 10, 2007
WESTSIDE(of Gilbert)
This is on TSn.ca's trade bait board:

"Add Smith, 35, to the bevy of starting netminders now available – even though Calgary, Winnipeg, Philadelphia and Vegas have the only obvious vacancies. It’s clear 24-year-old Louis Domingue is where the Coyotes, who appear to be in full tear-it-down mode, are heading in net."

Lol, what is there to tear down?

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
I'm hesitant to trust rumors about the Coyotes from all but a tiny few sources. Local media is worthless beyond reminding you about the press release the team issued publicly a few hours earlier. For national media, the Coyotes tend to be an afterthought, and "The Coyotes are likely to..." is far more likely to introduce the reporters idle musings than anything substantive.

I'm all for moving on from Smith if they can pick up a worthwhile asset for him. I don't see Domingue being an above average starter in the league, but there's probably no harm in handing him the reigns for a year and seeing what happens, maybe platooning him with someone like Niemi or Mason. I don't see value in just dumping Smith, and the goalie market tends to be buyer-friendly, but if the Coyotes can send him to a playoff team and get something like a 2nd and a decent young player (i.e. slightly better than what the Kings gave up for Bishop, who had just a few months left on his deal versus the two years remaining on Smith's contract), I think that would benefit all parties involved.

As for the draft, "a move-down scenario" would be dropping from 7th to 16th, not moving up from 23rd to 16th. That's a deal that doesn't happen until you're on the clock, but if the top six picks are some permutation of Patrick, Hischier, Heiskanen, Vilardi, Glass and Mittelstadt, I'm all for trading down. Moving down from 7th to 16th should command a pretty good return. The Flames (currently picking 16th) don't have a 2nd or a 3rd this year, so I'd guess the Flames would need to give up something like next year's 2nd and a prospect like Adam Fox or Dillon Dubé.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
I'm hesitant to trust rumors about the Coyotes from all but a tiny few sources. Local media is worthless beyond reminding you about the press release the team issued publicly a few hours earlier. For national media, the Coyotes tend to be an afterthought, and "The Coyotes are likely to..." is far more likely to introduce the reporters idle musings than anything substantive.

I'm all for moving on from Smith if they can pick up a worthwhile asset for him. I don't see Domingue being an above average starter in the league, but there's probably no harm in handing him the reigns for a year and seeing what happens, maybe platooning him with someone like Niemi or Mason. I don't see value in just dumping Smith, and the goalie market tends to be buyer-friendly, but if the Coyotes can send him to a playoff team and get something like a 2nd and a decent young player (i.e. slightly better than what the Kings gave up for Bishop, who had just a few months left on his deal versus the two years remaining on Smith's contract), I think that would benefit all parties involved.

As for the draft, "a move-down scenario" would be dropping from 7th to 16th, not moving up from 23rd to 16th. That's a deal that doesn't happen until you're on the clock, but if the top six picks are some permutation of Patrick, Hischier, Heiskanen, Vilardi, Glass and Mittelstadt, I'm all for trading down. Moving down from 7th to 16th should command a pretty good return. The Flames (currently picking 16th) don't have a 2nd or a 3rd this year, so I'd guess the Flames would need to give up something like next year's 2nd and a prospect like Adam Fox or Dillon Dubé.

The only way I'd consider moving down is if Elias Pettersson was available at 7. Even if he was, would the Coyotes just opt to select him?

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville

I'm completely baffeled by the "move down" paragraph. What are you saying? We have to drop from 7th to 16th? What?

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
I'm completely baffeled by the "move down" paragraph. What are you saying? We have to drop from 7th to 16th? What?

I just noticed that myself. I think he read Trelivings comment about 'moving down' as in 'moving down' to an earlier pick. Moving down in the draft is moving further down the list (to a later pick). I think he just got moving up and moving down mixed up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad