Mike Santorelli (signs with Toronto)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GPNuck

Nov 25, 2013
Oh boy, without read the last several pages, I assume there's a lot of this:

"OMG why Benning?!! You give Vrbata 5M and you can't give Santorelli 1.5M?!! Those 45 games last year proved he is the best player in the world!!! If we signed Santo we could have easily won the cup this year, all we had to do was trade Lack + Hansen + 2nd for Kane!!! This is the worst, I'm becoming an Oilers fan!!!"

Nobody is saying he is the best player in the world or is against the Vrbata signing.. We're saying he earned himself an extension we could have easily matched Toronto's 1.5 million. He's better then half the forwards on our roster for sure so why not make room for the guy.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
Santo benefited from playing a lot of minutes with some really good players. I don't see the same opportunity for him in Toronto. He'll still be a really good player if he can keep the up the spade work but I expect his production to drop off significantly.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
Santo benefited a lot from playing a lot of minutes with some really good players. I don't see the same opportunity for him in Toronto.

Toronto is weak down the middle but strong on the wings; that is, unless Santo gets David Clarkson on his line.:sarcasm:

LeafsTop6

Jan 9, 2009
Markham
The didn't sign a young goalie, they signed the best goalie. You still need to have an eye on being competitive.

Santorelli could have been a decent placeholder. He just wasn't willing to sign a contract that reflected his value league wide. 30 general managers balked at offering him more than 1 year. It's only Benning that is the 'moron' here. The hysteria is getting embarrassing...

Every GM in the NHL is Nonis level! How could nobody offer Santo a multi-year deal!

didn't he sign for 1 year?

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Santorelli was a surprise last season.

He was a surprise because he was expected, at 28, to be AHL fodder.

48 games.. scores 10 g.. has season ending shoulder surgery.

He was sparky. But what more would he be able to give us going forward?

He's a known quantity and we've seen his ceiling. You've gotta make room to take a chance on someone else who may have the potential to be more.

I liked the guy.. liked the fact he was from here.. but i don't think I'll miss him.

Hopefully Toronto gets another Raymond-like bounce back and he's able to really cash in next season. Hope he breaks his career high of 41. 40 pt players were cashing in huge this summer...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad