Mike Santorelli (signs with Toronto)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoubleTrouble

Jun 18, 2010
Fraser Valley
vaperbc.com
Something went down with Santorelli

Not sure if it was the injury, or if he was playing hard ball with the Nucks, But what ever it was.. He was not going to play for the Canucks again.

He played well for the Nucks last season, But looking at his statistics over the years.. He has been bouncing around from team to team and is now on his 4th team in 4 years..

If he is so good why do teams that he played on, Do not want him anymore

That is the question.

Like i said in an earlier post in this thread.. I knew it would be the Leafs or Jets that would pick up our sloppy seconds :sarcasm:

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
I wish I cared enough to bring up the Santo thread from last July.. I would have loved to hear your opinion
Last year, we had Kesler in the #2 spot instead of Bonino. Different situation now.

My concern is the lack of experience down the middle - yeah, Santo isn't anything more than a "placeholder" until guys like Horvat are ready; but you still need those guys rather than putting sophmores/rookies into positions they might not be ready for (but we'll have no choice by to use them because there isn't any other option).

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
At the end of the day, Santorelli clearly overvalued himself in the marketplace.

Do I think it would have been worth it to give him a multi-year deal? Yes. But ultimately, you need to get your guys signed for below market deals, or you'll never build a contender.

And I can't blame him for seeing a better opportunity in Toronto. Vancouver clearly intends to play the heck out of its younger centers, and there are no lack of wingers with a similar talent level to Santorelli on the team. He would have had to scratch and fight for top 9 ice time.

But in Toronto, there is plenty of opportunity. He'll easily slot into the top 9, and it's pretty easy to imagine him holding down a top six slot there.

Ultimately, even if Santorelli returned and had a good season here, he's not in the long term plans. The want to play the hell out of the kids, so, sink or swim, that's what they're going to do.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
Anyway, I think you're nuts if you'd want Santorelli over Matthias as the 3C, but that's just me.

I want Matthias over Vey as the 3C for the reasons you stated; just feel Santo has at least more experience in that role (Matthias was just a 4th liner for the Panthers largely).

We'll just have to agree to disagree (no need to call anybody "nuts" but that's just me).

whuttheeperson

Apr 13, 2010
I want Matthias over Vey as the 3C for the reasons you stated; just feel Santo has at least more experience in that role (Matthias was just a 4th liner for the Panthers largely).

We'll just have to agree to disagree (no need to call anybody "nuts" but that's just me).

lol that was my way of saying lets agree to disagree. I just think if you're going to compete with the LA, Anaheim, and Boston's of the world, you need that size and grit down the middle in the bottom 6.

DarrenX

Apr 15, 2014
We couldn't manage 1x1.5m? :shakehead

Hopefully Linden "five career assists" Vey is everything he's cracked up to be.

Angry Little Elf

My wife came back
Apr 9, 2012
Victoria B.C.
At the end of the day, Santorelli clearly overvalued himself in the marketplace.

Sounds familiar.
55836292-right-wing-anson-carter-of-the-vancouver-gettyimages.jpg

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
lol that was my way of saying lets agree to disagree. I just think if you're going to compete with the LA, Anaheim, and Boston's of the world, you need that size and grit down the middle in the bottom 6.

Well, it might be a while before we get into that tier of team's again. Have to become a playoff team first (which this team isn't yet unless they get lucky).

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver

This type of CDC talk is just crazy. Stop posting if you want to agree to disagree.:sarcasm:

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
I don't see how santorelli "overvalued" himself signing a 1 year deal for 1.5 million dollars on the 3rd day of free agency.

I could see if he was forced into a two way contract for under a million in August, but come on.

dave babych returns

Dec 2, 2011
I wish I cared enough to bring up the Santo thread from last July.. I would have loved to hear your opinion

Who cares about what fans thought a year ago, what happened on the ice last year is what's relevant.

Writing off Santorelli's play to the point where you suggest that any fringe NHLer who scored at lower levels could do the same thing is laughable.

If Cal O'Reilly can do what Mike Santorelli did, why don't we just sign five of those guys every year rather than overpaying full time NHLers?

mrmyheadhurts

Registered Boozer
Mar 22, 2007
Vancouver
Everyone is assuming that if he was offered the same contract he would have signed with the Canucks. It is very possible that he didn't want to sign with the Canucks. As Farhan reported, he wasn't willing to accept a one deal from the Canucks and I'm not sure I would've been happy if we signed him for two or three years.

Good signing for the Leafs, I will be very curious to see if he carries over his play from his short season with the Canucks.

I'm surprised many of you can see through your tears well enough to make posts. :laugh:

Jimson Hogarth*

Nov 21, 2013
Everyone is assuming that if he was offered the same contract he would have signed with the Canucks. It is very possible that he didn't want to sign with the Canucks. As Farhan reported, he wasn't willing to accept a one deal from the Canucks and I'm not sure I would've been happy if we signed him for two or three years.

Good deal for the Leafs, I will be very curious to see if he carries over his play from his short season with the Canucks.
So Santorelli was looking for the opposite of the "home town discount"? :laugh: Come on. Good signing for the Leafs, all there is to say. Benning probably wants to put his stamp on the Canucks and Santorelli's spot is any place to do just that.

Verviticus

Jul 23, 2010
So Santorelli was looking for the opposite of the "home town discount"? :laugh: Come on. Good signing for the Leafs, all there is to say. Benning probably wants to put his stamp on the Canucks and Santorelli's spot is any place to do just that.

gotta mark his territory i guess

i guess thats why this team smells like urine now

Trelane

Feb 12, 2013
Salusa Secundus
The guy ****ed us over to go to Toronto. Sucks man, he was a quality bottom six forward.

Really? The ****ing over part, if there was any, was more done by us. Pretty clear for a while he was not in Benning's plans, or at best was a palatable consolation if he struck out with who knows how many FAs. Under such circumstances no surprise he went elsewhere.

Go young faction should be pleased. Vey brings more upside and (of course) risk. I don't mind it.

Nuclear Salo

Launch Detected
Mar 12, 2014
Vancouver
I would've liked to see Santorelli resign with the Canucks too, but we're only judging his play based off of not even half a season. Sure, he was stellar, but could he have kept it up? Wasn't he also pointless in his last 10 games before the injury? As another user above said, he was on 4 teams in 4 years... Gotta be a reason for that.

C'mon guys, Benning just got the job a few months ago. The season hasn't even started yet.

Alan Jackson

Nov 3, 2005
Langley, BC
For those complaining that Benning didn't sign Santorelli, it should be noted that the previous regime had the chance to re-sign him as well.

I wouldn't mind having him back, but he was looking for more than the Canucks were willing to offer. Good luck to him in Toronto.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
As Farhan reported, he wasn't willing to accept a one deal from the Canucks and I'm not sure I would've been happy if we signed him for two or three years.

Bingo. Looks like all 30 general managers refused to give Santo more than 1 year. Jim Benning was simply one of these 30. Benning had the same read on the situation as every other general manager in the sport. Hard to argue that.

With a crap-ton of veterans tied up with NTC's, there were only so many different places the Canucks could look to inject some youth. Santorelli would have been a decent placeholder, but the goal is to get younger. Wasn't surprised Gillis didn't sign him - not surprised Benning didn't either.

MikeGillisslashAVfan*

Good signing for the Leafs, I will be very curious to see if he carries over his play from his short season with the Canucks.

I'm surprised many of you can see through your tears well enough to make posts. :laugh:
this market gets way too attached to players

now if burrows got traded

i would lose my ****

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad