Mike Santorelli (signs with Toronto)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
With a crap-ton of veterans tied up with NTC's, there were only so many different places the Canucks could look to inject some youth. Santorelli would have been a decent placeholder, but the goal is to get younger. Wasn't surprised Gillis didn't sign him - not surprised Benning didn't either.

Good thing we signed a young goalie.:sarcasm:

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
For those complaining that Benning didn't sign Santorelli, it should be noted that the previous regime had the chance to re-sign him as well.

I wouldn't mind having him back, but he was looking for more than the Canucks were willing to offer. Good luck to him in Toronto.

Bingo. Just mentioned the exact same thing. Mike Gillis did not tender Mike Santorelli an offer. I would assume it's because Gillis too was looking to make the roster younger, and there are only so many roster spots to accomplish that.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
Good thing we signed a young goalie.:sarcasm:

The didn't sign a young goalie, they signed the best goalie. You still need to have an eye on being competitive.

Santorelli could have been a decent placeholder. He just wasn't willing to sign a contract that reflected his value league wide. 30 general managers balked at offering him more than 1 year. It's only Benning that is the 'moron' here. The hysteria is getting embarrassing...

Every GM in the NHL is Nonis level! How could nobody offer Santo a multi-year deal!

mrmyheadhurts

Registered Boozer
Mar 22, 2007
Vancouver
this market gets way too attached to players

now if burrows got traded

i would lose my ****

It sounds like there is a good chance he could be moved. I'm with you, it would be a sad day but this team is in the middle over an overhaul, tough decisions will have to be made. After last year, the worst season in nearly 15 years, I'm open to nearly anything.

When it comes to the fan base, I don't know if it's an over attachment issue or just plain overrating players and not understanding their market worth.

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
You still need to have an eye on being competitive.
I just don't think giving a guy a two year deal isn't going to handcuff the team in any retooling efforts (especially if we can afford to have a $2+ million reclamation project in a spot in the lineup were we already have enough left side D).

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
The didn't sign a young goalie, they signed the best goalie. You still need to have an eye on being competitive.

Santorelli could have been a decent placeholder. He just wasn't willing to sign a contract that reflected his value league wide. 30 general managers balked at offering him more than 1 year. It's only Benning that is the 'moron' here. The hysteria is getting embarrassing...

Every GM in the NHL is Nonis level! How could nobody offer Santo a multi-year deal!

Good thing we signed a bunch of ... young ... guys?

You can make several arguments for not signing Santorelli but 'getting younger' isn't really one of them considering as it stands there are not a lot of 'young guy' spots for a team purportedly on a youth movement.

ugghhh

Apr 17, 2009
Bingo. Looks like all 30 general managers refused to give Santo more than 1 year. Jim Benning was simply one of these 30. Benning had the same read on the situation as every other general manager in the sport. Hard to argue that.

With a crap-ton of veterans tied up with NTC's, there were only so many different places the Canucks could look to inject some youth. Santorelli would have been a decent placeholder, but the goal is to get younger. Wasn't surprised Gillis didn't sign him - not surprised Benning didn't either.

I'd rather have

Etem + Santorelli (2 yrs x 1.5M)

than

Bonino

I don't think Etem was off the table in our discussions w/ Anaheim.

Obviously there are differences in valuation/scouting, but I think the first option is preferable both short term and long term.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Also, who says he didn't have two year deals?

He made $550k on a 2-way last year. I bet his offers, including ours were like 2-3 years at $750k-$900k.

Toronto was willing to slightly overpay, he was willing to go to a team with poor center depth where he might put up huge numbers and get a payday next year. A la Raymond or Ehrhoff.

Saying 'he overvalued himself' when he eventually got a one-year, one-way contract and a 300% pay increase isn't logical.

Drop the Sopel

May 4, 2007
calgary
Good thing we signed a bunch of ... young ... guys?

You can make several arguments for not signing Santorelli but 'getting younger' isn't really one of them considering as it stands there are not a lot of 'young guy' spots for a team purportedly on a youth movement.

Santorelli is being replaced with younger forwards. Vey and Bonino. Santo could probably have played on the 2nd line RW, but I think they could have plans for Kassian there. Maybe they think Nik Jensen is half a year away from taking a RW spot too?

Santo wanted term and Benning stood his ground. As did every GM in hockey. Hard to argue when there isn't 1 team out there willing to give him a multi-year deal. I said as much before this signing - he hasn't shown enough year to year consistency to garner more than a 1 year deal. He signed the exact deal I expected...

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Santorelli is being replaced with younger forwards. Vey and Bonino. Santo could probably have played on the 2nd line RW, but I think they could have plans for Kassian there. Maybe they think Nik Jensen is half a year away from taking a RW spot too?

Santo wanted term and Benning stood his ground. As did every GM in hockey. Hard to argue when there isn't 1 team out there willing to give him a multi-year deal. I said as much before this signing - he hasn't shown enough year to year consistency to garner more than a 1 year deal. He signed the exact deal I expected...

I understand your argument but Bonino isn't hugely younger than Kesler. Sbisa is younger but not guaranteed to make the lineup.

And assuming Vey is going to make this lineup is premature IMO.

I personally want more young guys to make the roster, but let's not pretend that these moves by Benning signify a significant youth movement. If anything, it's the opposite.

BobbyJazzLegs

Sorry 4 Acting Werd
Oct 15, 2013
This thread is going to kill me.

I wouldn't have minded him around, but it's nothing to get too worked up about.

Might make Leafs games a little more bearable though ;)

Sharpshooter

Dec 14, 2011
We couldn't manage 1x1.5m? :shakehead

Hopefully Linden "five career assists" Vey is everything he's cracked up to be.

Hopefully.

this market gets way too attached to players

now if burrows got traded

i would lose my ****

Do we really need Burrows? ;)

I'd rather have

Etem + Santorelli (2 yrs x 1.5M)

than

Bonino

I don't think Etem was off the table in our discussions w/ Anaheim.

Obviously there are differences in valuation/scouting, but I think the first option is preferable both short term and long term.

What makes you think that Etem was ever on the table?

I'd rather have Ryan Getzlaf and Santorelli.

FreeBird

Dec 18, 2005
He can't be that good

I mean it's the Leafs that signed him, when is the last time they got it right. :help:

Markfly*

Woulda rather kept him over Stonehands Hansen but I won't lose any sleep over it.

btdvox

Jul 5, 2013
Vancouver
I understand your argument but Bonino isn't hugely younger than Kesler. Sbisa is younger but not guaranteed to make the lineup.

And assuming Vey is going to make this lineup is premature IMO.

I personally want more young guys to make the roster, but let's not pretend that these moves by Benning signify a significant youth movement. If anything, it's the opposite.

Your wrong to think Vey and Sbisa aren't making the team. They are, Vey played for Willie D in Medicine Hat.

Ventana*

He'll get 50-55 points for 1.5 mil. Why Benning didn't just give him 2 years at 1.5 aav is beyond me.

GPNuck

Nov 25, 2013
He'll get 50-55 points for 1.5 mil. Why Benning didn't just give him 2 years at 1.5 aav is beyond me.

Ya I'm pissed.. And Toronto won't make our mistake and take him for granted they'll resign him to a 3 year extension. Way to chase away the BC Boys, who love playing here management

Olandsns

Jun 22, 2014
Halifax, NS
Ballsy call
Depends on his roll entirely.

Bonino got fifty points because he got powerplay time. Think of it didn't Vrbata score 10 goals on the powerplay.

Better hope they both are getting serious pp time this year... Probably mins santo wouldn't have been given.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Oh boy, without read the last several pages, I assume there's a lot of this:

"OMG why Benning?!! You give Vrbata 5M and you can't give Santorelli 1.5M?!! Those 45 games last year proved he is the best player in the world!!! If we signed Santo we could have easily won the cup this year, all we had to do was trade Lack + Hansen + 2nd for Kane!!! This is the worst, I'm becoming an Oilers fan!!!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce