Proposal: Mike Richards

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
Chazz,

I have never heard anything either way, good or bad.

But it's totally unprofessional and pathetic how out of shape he has looked so far. If he had the work ethic you said you have heard he has, there is no way he lets himself look like that.

What exactly was he doing during the lockout?

I agree. It's pretty obvious he is not in shape right now. Hopefully winning didn't make him become complacent.

I have never seen anything ever saying he has had a poor work ethic up until jtown came in here 5 minutes ago. My impression of Richards' work ethic was created when he showed up in LA after the trade and went to do hundreds of lunges on the beach with Penner and some other players when he didn't even have to do it. Someone with a poor work ethic doesn't voluntarily subject themselves to a grueling workout when they don't have to.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
This is the second time you've said this without providing any evidence whatsoever. How about we see some.

Look at his body. Seriously go to google and look it up. Then compare that to another hockey player who is dedicated to his sport and his body and see the difference. Many things can be said about jeff carter but one thing for sure is that he keeps in tip top shape year round.

Also he spends the whole offseason in kenora. I dont know about you but kenora is not a hot spot for athlete to go to to work on their game or their conditioning. His last year in philly he was the last one to show up to camp when everyone else showed up 1-2 weeks early. The proof is there.

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
Look at his body. Seriously go to google and look it up. Then compare that to another hockey player who is dedicated to his sport and his body and see the difference. Many things can be said about jeff carter but one thing for sure is that he keeps in tip top shape year round.

Also he spends the whole offseason in kenora. I dont know about you but kenora is not a hot spot for athlete to go to to work on their game or their conditioning. His last year in philly he was the last one to show up to camp when everyone else showed up 1-2 weeks early. The proof is there.
Every single thing you said here is based on your subjective opinion and circumstantial evidence. Do you hang out with him in the summer to know his work out routine? Do you know how he's tested on his fitness test every training camp in his NHL career? Sounds more like bitterness than anything else.

Docgonzo

Triple Crown Line
Jan 9, 2010
Chino, Ca
I think Richards will get back into form soon but we'll never see the Phili Richards as much because I think he left some of his heart in Phili. I think that trade hurt him

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Every single thing you said here is based on your subjective opinion and circumstantial evidence. Do you hang out with him in the summer to know his work out routine? Do you know how he's tested on his fitness test every training camp in his NHL career? Sounds more like bitterness than anything else.

I question your understanding of the word bitterness. But regardless, its more of a disappointment in seeing an athlete, one in which i enjoy watching, not reach his potential. However my views are not subjective. If you look at his body he is clearly not a muscular man at all, no matter how strong he is , his body lacks any sort of definition or size that you would associate with a professional athlete.

RonSwanson*

Richards is overrated. He's a glorified 2C because he cherry picks on the PK for shorthanded goals and occasionally he hits people.

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
I question your understanding of the word bitterness. But regardless, its more of a disappointment in seeing an athlete, one in which i enjoy watching, not reach his potential. However my views are not subjective. If you look at his body he is clearly not a muscular man at all, no matter how strong he is , his body lacks any sort of definition or size that you would associate with a professional athlete.
That is the definition of subjective. You're basing your understanding of the level of his work ethic on some picture you saw on Google? That tells you absolutely nothing about how hard he does or does not work in the offseason. Hockey is not about who's the most muscular. It's about conditioning, flexibility, and your cardiovascular ability to recover in the shortest amount of time. You can't surmise that from a picture off of Google.

moosehead81

Jan 7, 2012
Great White North

Have you ever even visited Kenora? How do you know what kind of spot it is to work on a game or conditioning? if it's like anywhere else in Northern Ontario, it likely has a number of ice surfaces, including summer ice, a couple of world class gyms, both public and private, and, to boot, probably world class fishing, hunting and other outdoor water sport opportunities. And if I even had a hint of interest in these things with the kind of money MR makes, I'd probably avoid the big city life until the last possible minute too.

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
And another thing: lifting weights and working out all the time != being in hockey shape. For anyone who has ever played the game, you know that there is no amount of working out that will prevent you from sucking wind after one shift in your first live action after a long break.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
I wouldn't be putting a Spengler Cup in the same room of championships as the others; NHL players are not available to play in such tournaments (only in labour disputes, one would assume). MR has won everything available except a World (senior) Championship; Neidermayer did win a world title but not a Calder Cup. The list goes Memorial Cup (2003), World Under 20 Champion (2005), Calder Cup (2005), Olympic Gold (2010), Stanley Cup (2012). Richards also played for Team Canada in the 2006 World Championships but the team finished 4th that year.

Bergeron won gold with Team Canada in the 2004 World Championship, the 2005 Under 20 and the 2010 Olympics. He also won the Stanley Cup in 2011 with the Bruins.

I wouldn't put Spengler in the same class as some of those championships either, but I would put it at least equal to a Memorial Cup. The tournament is fairly similar and is involving professional players.

Either way, I think we can agree both players are highly successful in regards to championship performances.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
That is the definition of subjective. You're basing your understanding of the level of his work ethic on some picture you saw on Google? That tells you absolutely nothing about how hard he does or does not work in the offseason. Hockey is not about who's the most muscular. It's about conditioning, flexibility, and your cardiovascular ability to recover in the shortest amount of time. You can't surmise that from a picture off of Google.

actually you can. part of conditioning is is muscularity. Hypertrophy is always the first stage in any off-seasonDan periodization program. The idea is to increase hypertrophy while also making the neural muscular system more efficient. almost any strength gains with in the first 4 weeks are a result of neural adaptations. from there a strength and power phase are incorporated. During the season the kings do a non linear periodization program designed to keep athletes at their offseason conditoning shape throughout the whole season.

His lack of size clearly shows a disconnect from a tradional periodization program. In terms of cardiovascular conditioning, one of the best ways to tell how good fit a person is in terms of their cardiovascular training is observing their bodyfat percentage. Especially in sports that require high amounts of anaerobic condioning. These sports put such an oxygen debt in the players that that their epoc is longer than it would be for a normal athlete. That epoc time comes with increased fat oxidation since the body is recovering witha rer at over .90. this is why athltee are lean because they burn more fat at rest

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
I should also qualify everything I've been saying with something else: when I've been saying that it looks like Richards is not in shape right now, I mean that in the sense that it looks like Richards is not in *hockey* shape right now. I'm not going to try and guess what type of physical shape he is in because I have nothing to base that on.

SCARFACE909

Feb 20, 2012
I should also qualify everything I've been saying with something else: when I've been saying that it looks like Richards is not in shape right now, I mean that in the sense that it looks like Richards is not in *hockey* shape right now. I'm not going to try and guess what type of physical shape he is in because I have nothing to base that on.

That's what I've said, he as well as a bunch of the Kings didn't play during the lockout and don't look to be in "hockey" or "game shape", that'll come with more and more games.

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
actually you can. part of conditioning is is muscularity. Hypertrophy is always the first stage in any off-seasonDan periodization program. The idea is to increase hypertrophy while also making the neural muscular system more efficient. almost any strength gains with in the first 4 weeks are a result of neural adaptations. from there a strength and power phase are incorporated. During the season the kings do a non linear periodization program designed to keep athletes at their offseason conditoning shape throughout the whole season.

His lack of size clearly shows a disconnect from a tradional periodization program. In terms of cardiovascular conditioning, one of the best ways to tell how good fit a person is in terms of their cardiovascular training is observing their bodyfat percentage. Especially in sports that require high amounts of anaerobic condioning. These sports put such an oxygen debt in the players that that their epoc is longer than it would be for a normal athlete. That epoc time comes with increased fat oxidation since the body is recovering witha rer at over .90. this is why athltee are lean because they burn more fat at rest
You still don't get it. You cannot prove anything about his work ethic, which is what you are claiming is poor, by looking at a picture on Google. You can break out all the kinesiology buzz words you want, it still does nothing to substantiate your assertion that he has poor work ethic. I played hockey with plenty of teammates who worked their ***** off on and off the ice, and were nowhere near being in amazing physical shape. I also played with plenty of players who were lazy SOBs but were absolutely ripped. It is impossible to surmise one's work ethic by looking at them with their shirt off.

Oh, and being overly muscular is not a positive when it comes to playing hockey.

ivanans.jpg

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
Since we're now judging players' work ethics on how they look with shirts off, it's pretty obvious the 2012 Stanley Cup Champion Los Angeles Kings have terrible work ethic considering they're not very ripped and muscular:

Kings-Stanley-Cup.jpg

:sarcasm:

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
You still don't get it. You cannot prove anything about his work ethic, which is what you are claiming is poor, by looking at a picture on Google. You can break out all the kinesiology buzz words you want, it still does nothing to substantiate your assertion that he has poor work ethic. I played hockey with plenty of teammates who worked their ***** off on and off the ice, and were nowhere near being in amazing physical shape. I also played with plenty of players who were lazy SOBs but were absolutely ripped. It is impossible to surmise one's work ethic by looking at them with their shirt off.

Oh, and being overly muscular is not a positive when it comes to playing hockey.

ivanans.jpg

yes your personal anecdotes trump human physiology and the law of thermodynamics.

Muscularity is extremely important in all sports especially hockey. Fat is not functional it makes you slower and can inhibit and slow down metabolic processes. id say any athlete with any amount of excessive bodyfat is an athlete that is cheating him or herself in terms of performance.
Mike has always had that excessive bodyfat. he has come into this seasons with little to no conditioning and it is clearly showing. So you be the judge. Is it very professional for an athlete to come into the season as out of shape as he is? Especially considering the importance of his role to the team?

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
yes your personal anecdotes trump human physiology and the law of thermodynamics.

It's better than you determining someone's work ethic based on a picture you saw on Google.

Muscularity is extremely important in all sports especially hockey. Fat is not functional it makes you slower and can inhibit and slow down metabolic processes. id say any athlete with any amount of excessive bodyfat is an athlete that is cheating him or herself in terms of performance.
Mike has always had that excessive bodyfat. he has come into this seasons with little to no conditioning and it is clearly showing. So you be the judge. Is it very professional for an athlete to come into the season as out of shape as he is? Especially considering the importance of his role to the team?

And what are you basing the bolded on?

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
So does more than half the team in the picture I posted above. Does that mean they have poor work ethic?

id say that the picture shows many great examples of leaness in athletes. maybe not the type of muscularity you would want in an athlete but certainly a level of leaness associated with fit athletes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad