Proposal: Mike Richards

TimbeS

Jan 24, 2013
Finland
Man that's a nice resume. If he only played like he used to then I wouldn't mind keeping him. His time as a king has been below what his accolades show. He did great in the playoffs but dropped off during it. Once again, nice Accolades but I want him to play like he did when he was a flyer but he certainly hasn't .

He's just off to a slow start. I think he will do very well this season, at least hope so

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Man that's a nice resume. If he only played like he used to then I wouldn't mind keeping him. His time as a king has been below what his accolades show. He did great in the playoffs but dropped off during it. Once again, nice Accolades but I want him to play like he did when he was a flyer but he certainly hasn't .

He hasn't been 100% most of his time as a King. Oct thru end of Nov 2011, 11 G , 20 points in 24 games was his best start as a pro. NHL stats had in top 5 in the league for forwards defensvily at the quarter mark end of nov. His reg. season ended Dec 1 with a head injury and he wasn't fully recovered from it during the playoffs and got hurt during the playoffs.

He is off to a slow start, like some of his teammates and other top liners (see NY Rangers, Flyers, etc.) but that will change.

I've seen every game he's played since his days in the AHL and he gave tje Kings exactly what his acccolades show, a Stanely cup. Something that the Flyers dont' and won't have for years, Ed Snider loves to butcher his teams each year sacrificing youth for a 'quick fix'. Bob McKenzie (June 2012 draft) when asked he'd have traded Richards. "For who? He's a proven winner and pure champion'

I know you're frustrated, and I understand that, I suffered thru that long winter last year too, but nobody can predict an injury. And this season will not be won or lost in the first week.

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Practically every King not named Clifford hasn't been performing, except the rest of the fourth line. Very few of our players seem game ready. The Bruins got off to a horrible start after their cup win and rebounded. We should be fine. Definitely a cause for concern, but nothing to panic over yet, still a lot of hockey to play. If there is any player I am not concerned about stepping up in the future and working hard, it's Mike Richards...

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
He hasn't been 100% most of his time as a King. Oct thru end of Nov 2011, 11 G , 20 points in 24 games was his best start as a pro. NHL stats had in top 5 in the league for forwards defensvily at the quarter mark end of nov. His reg. season ended Dec 1 with a head injury and he wasn't fully recovered from it during the playoffs and got hurt during the playoffs.

He is off to a slow start, like some of his teammates and other top liners (see NY Rangers, Flyers, etc.) but that will change.

I've seen every game he's played since his days in the AHL and he gave tje Kings exactly what his acccolades show, a Stanely cup. Something that the Flyers dont' and won't have for years, Ed Snider loves to butcher his teams each year sacrificing youth for a 'quick fix'. Bob McKenzie (June 2012 draft) when asked he'd have traded Richards. "For who? He's a proven winner and pure champion'

I know you're frustrated, and I understand that, I suffered thru that long winter last year too, but nobody can predict an injury. And this season will not be won or lost in the first week.

Winning seems to follow Richards around. There's no disputing that.

The problem is that his play has been declining for a few years now. I'm not really expecting much from him from here on out. I can't see him ever being the player he was in 07-09 again.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
Winning seems to follow Richards around. There's no disputing that.

The problem is that his play has been declining for a few years now. I'm not really expecting much from him from here on out. I can't see him ever being the player he was in 07-09 again.

His play has been evolving. There aren't a lot of players out there that have the complete package like he does. If people are only looking at points, they're going to be disappointed. He's never going to be near a PPG like he was 1 year in Philly and especially not on a defensively oriented team like the Kings.

It's amazing to me how quickly some people here have forgotten about his play in the playoffs.

damacles1156

Feb 5, 2010
Richards is never going to be a 70 to 80 point player ever again.

The Kings PP would have to be world class.

In a 82 Game season I wouldn't expect more than 55 points out of Richards.

He is just not going to score a lot of points on the Kings, it's not going to happen.

I have accepted that.

Lead Role in a Cage

Mar 27, 2008

His time as a king has been below his accolades?

I am not sure how you measure success or importance to a team, but I would suggest that you somehow add individual success to team success, and vice versa

The Kings won the Stanley Cup last season, which is 4 games ago. From what I remember, without thinking too much, he was the second line center of that Stanley Cup champion, scoring 15 points in 20 games, with 2 assist (1-0, 2-0) in the last game of the season.

Some might even have seen him as as first line center. I know at least one person who did. About halfway through you'll find that opinion. (http://mayorsmanor.com/2013/01/what-are-the-kings-planning-while-kopitar-is-out-injured/)

Calm down.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
His play has been evolving. There aren't a lot of players out there that have the complete package like he does. If people are only looking at points, they're going to be disappointed. He's never going to be near a PPG like he was 1 year in Philly and especially not on a defensively oriented team like the Kings.

It's amazing to me how quickly some people here have forgotten about his play in the playoffs.

"Evolving" is a nice way to put it.

I agree it's not about points solely (although we do need him to contribute offensively). It's about his overall effectiveness. He can still make the occasional creative play in the offensive zone, and he gets off on killing penalties, but other than that he struggles.

I don't know how much of it is mental, and how much of it is physical, probably a combination of both.

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
I think Richards is just really out of shape right now. He looks gassed after one rush up the ice, and he's usually the first one to change from his line. His hands look like they're still in off season mode, too. Hopefully he starts to come around soon.

KingKopitar11*

His time as a king has been below his accolades?

I am not sure how you measure success or importance to a team, but I would suggest that you somehow add individual suuccess to team success, and vice versa

The Kings won the Stanley Cup last season, which is 4 games ago. From what I remember, without thinking too much, he was the second line center of that Stanley Cup champion, scoring 15 points in 20 games, with 2 assist (1-0, 2-0) in the last game of the season.

Some might even have seen him as as first line center. I know at least one person who did. About halfway through you'll find that opinion. (http://mayorsmanor.com/2013/01/what-are-the-kings-planning-while-kopitar-is-out-injured/)

Calm down.

That's amazing and all, cool story, but Richards when he isn't hitting and playing gritty he's absolutely invisible. In the playoffs he was really good but his play was inconsistent at times. Especially during the regular season he is usually struggling. Richards is no Kopitar and its not really close imo. Richards isn't the most skilled player but he does have the package which the foundation of his play requires hard work but when he isn't trying he isn't to be seen.

KingKopitar11*

I think Richards is just really out of shape right now. He looks gassed after one rush up the ice, and he's usually the first one to change from his line. His hands look like they're still in off season mode, too. Hopefully he starts to come around soon.

I really think that might be it too. But that's irresponsible and a pro athlete shouldn't be that out of shape which pisses me off, he's a pro he should no better than to sit around and get out of shape.

thelos

Bunk
Jul 19, 2011
Richards is never going to be a 70 to 80 point player ever again.

The Kings PP would have to be world class.

In a 82 Game season I wouldn't expect more than 55 points out of Richards.

He is just not going to score a lot of points on the Kings, it's not going to happen.

I have accepted that.

Richards hit 70+ points when he was on the point on the Flyers powerplay. 30-30-60 is probably the best to expect without excess PP points

SCARFACE909

Feb 20, 2012
I really think that might be it too. But that's irresponsible and a pro athlete shouldn't be that out of shape which pisses me off, he's a pro he should no better than to sit around and get out of shape.

There's a difference between being in shape and being in "game shape" he didn't play in Europe during the lockout, most of the Kings roster didn't play during the lockout and it shows, it's going to take a few games for players to get into "game shape" especially after not playing meaningful games during the lockout, so I don't think it's "irresponsible", but everyone has their own opinion.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
No I didn't forget Niedermayer. He never won the Calder Cup. he's got more SC's but MR is only 27 and with the talent and youth (and cap space) on this Kings team, he'll win more.

As of today, Mike Richards (per the NHL in an article they posted about him Aug 2012 Summer of the Cup) is the only player in the history of the NHL to have the distinction to win at every level he's played at.

That could change, but as of now it's just him.

The Hockey News wrote about him in Dec 2010 in a year in review type article where they said 'when' not 'if' Richards wins his first Cup he'll become the only player ...
So I knew it was coming.

Not to dump on your argument, because I support it, but if I'm not mistaken Patrice Bergeron's resume includes a lot of championships too, including a Spengler Cup this season already.

moosehead81

Jan 7, 2012
Great White North
Mike Richards is off to his usual slow start compounded by likely not being in a player's "normal" January shape. I don't think his (and other Kings) competitive juices have started flowing yet; maybe they're looking at these first few games as an exhibition type of season. His game has changed a bit from his early days also; trying not to do too much at once. If he played every game like the first game against Vancouver in round one last spring, his career wouldn't last another year or two. Hopefully, the team gives it's head a shake soon and wakes up.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
every year he looks worst and worst. He has no dedication to his body or the game in the off-season. He is notoroius for not working hard in practice or off the ice. Before he got away with it because of his smarts and skill but as time goes by its going to catch up to him.

I wish he would get his stuff together and actually dedicate himself to the game. He could be a top 10 center in the league with some work ethic.

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
every year he looks worst and worst. He has no dedication to his body or the game in the off-season. He is notoroius for not working hard in practice or off the ice. Before he got away with it because of his smarts and skill but as time goes by its going to catch up to him.

I wish he would get his stuff together and actually dedicate himself to the game. He could be a top 10 center in the league with some work ethic.
Yeahhhhh that's what we call hearsay. I've never seen one legitimate source say anything remotely negative about Richards' work ethic. Quite the opposite, actually.

NikF

Sep 24, 2006

Mike Richards doesn't have the tools to be a top 10 center in the league. He is smallish, was never particularly fast, and never particularly skilled (at least not for a top 10 center). His game is all about outcompeting everyone and hockey IQ. No amount of fitness and nutrition gurus and dedication could turn Mike Richards into a top 10 center in the league. He just doesn't have the tools for that. And points are never going to be his game, not to mention 50 points on the Kings is probably more like 60-65 on the Flyers. He is just a player that does everything for his team to win combined with his hockey IQ that's what makes him special, his contribution will never be properly reflected with stats.

moosehead81

Jan 7, 2012
Great White North
Not to dump on your argument, because I support it, but if I'm not mistaken Patrice Bergeron's resume includes a lot of championships too, including a Spengler Cup this season already.

I wouldn't be putting a Spengler Cup in the same room of championships as the others; NHL players are not available to play in such tournaments (only in labour disputes, one would assume). MR has won everything available except a World (senior) Championship; Neidermayer did win a world title but not a Calder Cup. The list goes Memorial Cup (2003), World Under 20 Champion (2005), Calder Cup (2005), Olympic Gold (2010), Stanley Cup (2012). Richards also played for Team Canada in the 2006 World Championships but the team finished 4th that year.

Bergeron won gold with Team Canada in the 2004 World Championship, the 2005 Under 20 and the 2010 Olympics. He also won the Stanley Cup in 2011 with the Bruins.

moosehead81

Jan 7, 2012
Great White North

Geez, I wish you could offer some legitimate source(s) for these allegations. You must be a Philadelphia fan.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Mike Richards doesn't have the tools to be a top 10 center in the league. He is smallish, was never particularly fast, and never particularly skilled (at least not for a top 10 center). His game is all about outcompeting everyone and hockey IQ. No amount of fitness and nutrition gurus and dedication could turn Mike Richards into a top 10 center in the league. He just doesn't have the tools for that. And points are never going to be his game, not to mention 50 points on the Kings is probably more like 60-65 on the Flyers. He is just a player that does everything for his team to win combined with his hockey IQ that's what makes him special, his contribution will never be properly reflected with stats.

First off wtf are you talking about. Do you really think he got to where he is by just being smart. No the guy is talented very talented . IMO he has no weakness at the NHL level, everything he does is good. The one thing he has never worked on was fitness or strength and conditioning which is an essential of the modern day athlete. His lack of fitness in this early season is a disgrace. He had no offseason surgeries this year for the first time in quite some time and had ample time to get in shape and workout. Many players who have dedicated themselves this offseason have hit the ground running, whereas mike is struggling on shifts that last longer than 30 seconds.

Chazz Reinhold

Sep 6, 2005
The Stanley Cup
First off wtf are you talking about. Do you really think he got to where he is by just being smart. No the guy is talented very talented . IMO he has no weakness at the NHL level, everything he does is good. The one thing he has never worked on was fitness or strength and conditioning which is an essential of the modern day athlete. His lack of fitness in this early season is a disgrace. He had no offseason surgeries this year for the first time in quite some time and had ample time to get in shape and workout. Many players who have dedicated themselves this offseason have hit the ground running, whereas mike is struggling on shifts that last longer than 30 seconds.

This is the second time you've said this without providing any evidence whatsoever. How about we see some.

NikF

Sep 24, 2006

He got to where he is by his exceptional hockey IQ and compete level. His skills for a top line forward are pretty average. He is NOT in any shape or form very talented if you're talking about technical or physical skills. Decent? Yes. Very talented? No.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Yeahhhhh that's what we call hearsay. I've never seen one legitimate source say anything remotely negative about Richards' work ethic. Quite the opposite, actually.

Chazz,

I have never heard anything either way, good or bad.

But it's totally unprofessional and pathetic how out of shape he has looked so far. If he had the work ethic you said you have heard he has, there is no way he lets himself look like that.

What exactly was he doing during the lockout?

As for the proposal. Would do it in a heartbeat, gives our PP an elite trigger man. The only issue is Kessel is eligible for UFA after next season. But that is negated by the Kings getting rid of what could be potentially an awful contract if Richards is indeed never going to return to previous levels.

Richards cap hit is almost 6 million until 2020, that could be really ugly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad