Mike Richards VIII Kings vs NHLPA

fsanford

Jul 4, 2009
That pissed me off a bit.

Sometimes you need to hit bottom or someone to kick you out the door to reset your priorities.

Guy thought he was immune to getting cut due to contract and CBA, then life dealt him a slap of reality.

Granted he was still given a big retirement plan, but we know most professional athletes have big ego's and to have you contract terminated was a bit of a humiliation.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
Lots and lots of fans bringing up the same rhetoric. Apparently we're the only ones that saw his performance fall off a cliff. Hard to imagine he'll even be equal to what he was when he finished with the Kings. Guy hasn't played in the NHL for months.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Surprise Surprise. I disagree. The same things about being motivated, hungry, embarrassed, ready to work and every other cliche known to man were also said after him and Dean talked at his cottage following the 2014 season and he returned even worse.

This is one of the reasons guaranteed contracts are BS. Most guys when you sign them for 10 years do the work required to live up to their side of the bargain.

What do you do with a guy that doesn't do the work?

I believe that the owners are going to correct this situation in the next CBA, either by limiting the max length of contracts, or by figuring out a way to cut a player that isn't performing.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
The words and excuses have just gotten tiresome. There was never any ownership whatsoever for the play on the ice. Not from MR and not from his supporters, that always irked me about the whole situation.

People had every excuse in the book in 13-14 and 14-15, everything from linemates, to concussions to Sutter to a friggin 6 month viral infection.

Mike has a bit of a Derrick Rose problem, every time he opens his mouth he just sounds stupider and stupider, his talking should be done on the ice.

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Yikes. Not impressed by Richards in these quotes.

In a stilted article written by Scott Burnside, there's a shocker. He doesn't owe Burnside (aka hack) or the media an apology, and it was a dumb question to ask. As soon as I heard that nasaly voice I knew this article would appear. Richards owes an explanation to his employers, the Capitals and the NHL, and he's met with MacLlellan and Trotz , who said there are 2 sides to every story and they heard his and are satisfied. He met with Bettman and whatever private discussion that was, involved the two of them and Bettman was satisfied.

There were several video interviews and other articles about him and the Caps, including some more at length with more quotes from him, so it was a matter of what you read.

He screwed up, he knows that , he's moving forward. He has a very positive meeting with his new team mates last night and starting today at practice the first step in the road back.

For a team that is a contender for the Cup, MacLLellan said he was the LH center that, as he said, provides 120 games of playoff experience, leadership and has played at high levels all his career.

It was a good move by the CAPS, and one that they have been working going back almost a year (wavers). They did their homework, spoke to a lot of his 'nhl associates' and interviewed him. This isn't something they did on a whim and is a positive decision, no downside. They are a top run organization, they know what they're doing.

SLang

Nov 29, 2005
Huntington Beach, CA
Surprise Surprise. I disagree. The same things about being motivated, hungry, embarrassed, ready to work and every other cliche known to man were also said after him and Dean talked at his cottage following the 2014 season and he returned even worse.

Seems like everyone assumes Washington's gonna get this new, improved, ass-kicking Mike Richards. That's about as likely as Axl Rose showing up at Coachella for the GNR "reunion" show.

mbar

Dec 7, 2006
Los Angeles
In a stilted article written by Scott Burnside, there's a shocker. He doesn't owe Burnside (aka hack) or the media an apology, and it was a dumb question to ask. As soon as I heard that nasaly voice I knew this article would appear. Richards owes an explanation to his employers, the Capitals and the NHL, and he's met with MacLlellan and Trotz , who said there are 2 sides to every story and they heard his and are satisfied. He met with Bettman and whatever private discussion that was, involved the two of them and Bettman was satisfied.

There were several video interviews and other articles about him and the Caps, including some more at length with more quotes from him, so it was a matter of what you read.

He screwed up, he knows that , he's moving forward. He has a very positive meeting with his new team mates last night and starting today at practice the first step in the road back.

For a team that is a contender for the Cup, MacLLellan said he was the LH center that, as he said, provides 120 games of playoff experience, leadership and has played at high levels all his career.

It was a good move by the CAPS, and one that they have been working going back almost a year (wavers). They did their homework, spoke to a lot of his 'nhl associates' and interviewed him. This isn't something they did on a whim and is a positive decision, no downside. They are a top run organization, they know what they're doing.

Good points but none better than the fact that Burnside is a hack and about the worst guy out there with a national platform.

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010

Nobody gives a crap about some apology, this quote is what sets off red flags:

I'm not going to try to change anything. I'm not going to try to change myself. I am who I am and I've had success being that way.

He better change all kinds of things about himself to even have a chance in the league in 2016. He's speaking the same "hired a trainer" BS he has in the past couple years, look how that worked out. He needs to be serious about his fitness, the game, and knocking off the substance abuse. He also needs to OWN it. He obviously lied to his previous employer about his substance abuse, so you can't exactly take his word for it.

Last edited:

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
Mike Richards is as done as this steak...

2146776737_ERka2H6tSM4JzG_640m_answer_6_xlarge.jpeg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad