Mike Richards VIII Kings vs NHLPA

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Hope he's cleaned himself up and returns to being a serviceable hockey player. As much as his performance stunk his last couple of seasons, there's no denying how integral he was to both Cup championship wins.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
Slowly, but surely, the Capitals are constructing the Kings circa 2012-2014. Now how do they pry the mule out of Minnesota?

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
richards and williams...i think i know who i will be cheering for in the east

WIlliams (according the interview this afternoon with Brian MacLellan) was a huge advocate of the move, (which I heard JW say earlier this year, citing his leadership in the room and playoff warrier mentality,) and also the other players/nhl associates I think he called them, they reached out to. Said MR has a lot of respect around the league as a competitor. He and Trotz went up to see him, spoke to him at length and felt very good about it.

NOt a surprise, Caps are where I felt he'd sign, he's been their radar since last year. Gives them center depth and leadership for a playoff run, from a player who thrives in those wars, 7-0 in game 7's for a reason.

Contract is prorated, so for 500K or less (depending on when he starts, he should do a conditioning stint in the AHL) they get a proven winner and playoff warrior.

Richards already spoke with Bettman who said he is clear as of today to resume his NHL career.

Good for him and the CAPS.

Isabelle Khurshudyan
✔ ‎@ikhurshudyan
Richards met with the NHL earlier today and has been given clearance to immediately resume his NHL career, per team.

5:06 PM - 6 Jan 2016

Telos

In Gavrikov We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Best of luck to him. I actually think he will play well in Washington and produce some decent offensive numbers.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
FWIW Rosen confirming this does nothing for the recapture.

John Shannon contributes that five teams were in on him.

Ron*

richards and williams...i think i know who i will be cheering for in the east

Was looking forward to attending the home game in March to welcome Williams back; guess the Kings will be scrambling to include Richards in any thank you video as well.

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
http://www.tsn.ca/richards-ready-to-write-new-chapter-of-hockey-life-1.419293

"The Capitals are currently the top seed in the Eastern Conference while Richards old teammates in Los Angeles are second in the West. It’s no stretch to see these two teams facing off in the Stanley Cup final this June.
“Now that would be fun,†said Richards. “One step at a time. I haven’t even played a game yet. But that would be exciting. I’d like that.â€

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
“Watching the game on TV, it got the competitive juices going again. I worked out a lot. A lot. It kind of started to get old the last little while. I started working with a new trainer this summer. We’ll see. We focused on getting better at hockey in a few key areas. Getting quicker was the big thing for me. It’s kind of hard to tell when you’re skating by yourself. But we’re going to get a chance to find out.”

That pissed me off a bit.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Happy it's somebody else's problem, was hoping it would be SJ, but oh well.

Crosby, Tavares, Malkin are all having somewhat down years, this should help.

Ron*

Just heard that his $1 MM salary is prorated for this season, which translates into $524,390 for the 43 games the Capitals have left.

Sybil227

Jun 16, 2004
Santa Clarita
WIlliams (according the interview this afternoon with Brian MacLellan) was a huge advocate of the move, (which I heard JW say earlier this year, citing his leadership in the room and playoff warrier mentality,) and also the other players/nhl associates I think he called them, they reached out to. Said MR has a lot of respect around the league as a competitor. He and Trotz went up to see him, spoke to him at length and felt very good about it.

NOt a surprise, Caps are where I felt he'd sign, he's been their radar since last year. Gives them center depth and leadership for a playoff run, from a player who thrives in those wars, 7-0 in game 7's for a reason.

Contract is prorated, so for 500K or less (depending on when he starts, he should do a conditioning stint in the AHL) they get a proven winner and playoff warrior.

Richards already spoke with Bettman who said he is clear as of today to resume his NHL career.

Good for him and the CAPS.

Isabelle Khurshudyan
✔ ‎@ikhurshudyan
Richards met with the NHL earlier today and has been given clearance to immediately resume his NHL career, per team.

5:06 PM - 6 Jan 2016

I seem to remember some other GM doing that last summer.....

ru4reals

Jul 4, 2007
For some odd reason I have a feeling Richards is really gonna help the Caps.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
For some odd reason I have a feeling Richards is really gonna help the Caps.

I do too.

He has to know it's the end of his career if not. I sure wouldn't want to play against a cornered animal version of Mike Richards.

Omni Owl

No fun, only 1-3-1
Mar 9, 2008
He might help, but I just don't think he's got it in him anymore. He was so ****ing bad last year and even the year before, he looked done. Unless he somehow found a way to magically skate faster, he's just gonna be another Scott Gomez (this year's version).

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Surprise Surprise. I disagree. The same things about being motivated, hungry, embarrassed, ready to work and every other cliche known to man were also said after him and Dean talked at his cottage following the 2014 season and he returned even worse.

HookKing

Dec 12, 2008
He might help, but I just don't think he's got it in him anymore. He was so ****ing bad last year and even the year before, he looked done. Unless he somehow found a way to magically skate faster, he's just gonna be another Scott Gomez (this year's version).

I agree completely, still, at that price what do they have to lose?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad