Mike Richards VIII Kings vs NHLPA

tsanuri

Jun 27, 2012
Central Coast CA
What we know.
His contract was terminated. June 29th
The NHLPA filed a grievance asking for an expedited hearing. Aug 10th
No answer on if it has been granted.
Kings had 10 days to respond. We know they responded or the process would have ended but no word on them doing so or what date.
The RCMP has filed charges against him. Aug 25th made public Aug. 27th
Scheduled to appear in court Sept 10/15. Not sure if that is between those dates or one of those dates. Taken directly from their tweet.

Site rules on libel
13) Libel: Any posts libeling players, prospects, or hockey personnel. It's not acceptable to post that you heard Player X has a drinking/drug/sex/personal problem from a "good" source. Do not post information that can be considered defamatory without a link to a credible media source. Other forums, personal websites, hearsay, and personal testimonials are not considered credible.

Ron*

What we know.
His contract was terminated. June 29th
The NHLPA filed a grievance asking for an expedited hearing. Aug 10th
No answer on if it has been granted.
Kings had 10 days to respond. We know they responded or the process would have ended but no word on them doing so or what date.
The RCMP has filed charges against him. Aug 25th made public Aug. 27th
Scheduled to appear in court Sept 10/15. Not sure if that is between those dates or one of those dates. Taken directly from their tweet.

It was poorly tweeted, as they meant Thursday, September 10, 2015.

Captain Mittens*

There used to be a 10 hour one. Had to settle on this

[Yt]bSA5py4Gsgo[/MEDIA]

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
I'm still a subscriber to the theory that the several concussions he suffered after 2012 did him in.

The one he got in the 2013 playoffs against Chicago pretty much changed things as far as I'm concerned. He just didn't look the same the next season.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
The wheels were starting to come off before that hit. He came back from the lockout and was terrible defensively and not nearly as dangerous offensively. He was still able to get by with his great hockey sense in the offensive zone but as the game continued to collapse nothing could help him.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
When was the last time the NHL publicly placed a player in the substance abuse program?

It's rare to hear anything publicly said. The opening statement of purpose in the policy includes confidentiality as one of the objectives when treating players with substance abuse issues.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
So we can expect no crying when Kopitar signs for 9.5 X 8 right?

No crying, just more FACTS and information on why it's a stupid deal, but maybe you should try and stay on topic and not troll this thread.

Captain Mittens*

So we can expect no crying when Kopitar signs for 9.5 X 8 right?

Mike-Richards-WHAT-The-Royal-Half.gif

Jul 31, 2005
CA
It's rare to hear anything publicly said. The opening statement of purpose in the policy includes confidentiality as one of the objectives when treating players with substance abuse issues.

So the assumption that Richards has never been in it before is false. This is a league that tries to hide trouble and promotes their players as good ol' farm boys, the most approachable athlete in sports. That said are we even sure the NHL tests for Oxy?

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
So the assumption that Richards has never been in it before is false. This is a league that tries to hide trouble and promotes their players as good ol' farm boys, the most approachable athlete in sports. That said are we even sure the NHL tests for Oxy?

Based on what?

Captain Mittens*

I have had a few friends with substance abuse issues and reportedly any opiate, including Vicodin, shows up as positive for opium. So presumably, yes

Remember the Seinfeld poppy seed muffin episode?

Jul 31, 2005
CA
Based on what?

Name the last NHL player that was publicly placed in the NHL substance abuse program. Zenon Konopka was the 2nd NHLer to be placed in the program publicly in May of 2014 joining Sean Hill in 2007 as the only 2 players to be in the program since the NHL changed the drug testing program. 2 players! 2! In a world where cyclists, track athletes, football players, baseball players and NBA players are popping positive left and right the NHL has 2 guys in at least 8 years of testing. So either the NHL is the cleanest sport in the world, they have the worst testing program in sports or they are hiding positive tests from the public to maintain a false image of squeaky clean country boys just playing the game.

Captain Mittens*

The Tik does have a good point here. I am sure that not only CBA and Union, but HIPPA is preventing us from hearing about substance abuse program cases.

Tik's theory would explain the Kings action to terminate and their confidence that the termination will be upheld

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
The Tik does have a good point here. I am sure that not only CBA and Union, but HIPPA is preventing us from hearing about substance abuse program cases.

Tik's theory would explain the Kings action to terminate and their confidence that the termination will be upheld

I agree, Tik has a very good point. Hard to believe that there aren't any players in Stage 1. It probably means that involvement in Stage 1 is not publicized.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
The confidentiality is why I had previously asked Mouser if it were possible that MRs Manchester stint was actually a stage 2 suspension but unlikely

417th

Pacifist Division
Feb 4, 2015
is merely a concept
Even if Richards went through rehab again last summer as has been rumored in some of the more secretive corners of clickity clackity, I still believe that people looking at only 1 portion of this situation will soon learn that the contract was terminated for multiple reasons. Also, the fact that Richards actions prevented the Kings from trading him will be a big factor in this whole thing. People who don't see that are going to whine a moan about it forever. I can think of a couple of posters on the main boards who might just commit hare-kare over the whole thing.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Even if Richards went through rehab again last summer as has been rumored in some of the more secretive corners of clickity clackity, I still believe that people looking at only 1 portion of this situation will soon learn that the contract was terminated for multiple reasons. Also, the fact that Richards actions prevented the Kings from trading him will be a big factor in this whole thing. People who don't see that are going to whine a moan about it forever. I can think of a couple of posters on the main boards who might just commit hare-kare over the whole thing.

I agree. Dean didn't take this action lightly or on a whim.

Regarding the bolded part, can they do it at Staples Center? We can sell tickets and some worthy charity will make a lot of money.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad