Mike Richards. Interest & Asking Price

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
The more I've thought about this, the more I want the Flames to get Richards as long as Stajan is going the other way. I agree, Francis is an idiot, there's no chance we are getting TT or Pearson, they are the reasons they want to move Richards so they don't have to lose those guys. But I think Stajan for Richards and a 1st is very realistic, and that 1st may actually be a decent pick. Forbort would be okay to and that Miller kid that HLM mentioned sounds interesting, admittedly I know nothing about him. I really haven't watched much of the AHL this season.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I wonder if the Kings would lottery-protect that pick, though. Something like if the Kings miss the playoffs, it's a 2015 3rd and a 2016 1st. That would be less good.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I wonder if the Kings would lottery-protect that pick, though. Something like if the Kings miss the playoffs, it's a 2015 3rd and a 2016 1st. That would be less good.

They look to be on the decline, so if it was a 2016 1st and a 2015 3rd, I would be okay with it. I'd really want us to really go hard on a RW prospect from them though.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
That's what I'd want even if the retention is like 1m.

They have to take Stajan as part of the trade; as mentioned by others, the Flames have too many centres on the team and knocking on the door to simply add another one.

I'd honestly prefer the picks over any of their prospects. None of Zykov, Forbert or Miller are all that appealing.

Taranis

Jul 9, 2013
Nova Scotia
They have to take Stajan as part of the trade; as mentioned by others, the Flames have too many centres on the team and knocking on the door to simply add another one.

I'd honestly prefer the picks over any of their prospects. None of Zykov, Forbert or Miller are all that appealing.

Why? I'm sure alot of teams are interested in Stajan especially if we retain salary.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA

I agree, that's why I'd want us to go for Toffoli, even if it requires us to give a little more to them. If we can take Toffoli, it's a win for us.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Why? I'm sure alot of teams are interested in Stajan especially if we retain salary.

Doubt a lot of teams would be interested in 3 more years at 3.125M per for a fourth line centre. Even Stajan at 1.56M (50% retention) is too expensive for most teams to allocate on their fourth line, especially if the cap isn't going up.

Smid and Raymond would be easier to trade with salary retention given their roles and lower term.

I agree, that's why I'd want us to go for Toffoli, even if it requires us to give a little more to them. If we can take Toffoli, it's a win for us.

If Francis wasn't pulling a Francis by mentioning Wideman yesterday, I wouldn't be surprised if Treliving offered him for Richards+Toffoli as a more appealing version of the Leafs offer. Or maybe McNabb instead of Toffoli.

Toffoli would be a great addition. Would actually make taking on Richards' contract much more palatable. Don't think the Kings are that desperate yet though.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
If Francis wasn't pulling a Francis by mentioning Wideman yesterday, I wouldn't be surprised if Treliving offered him for Richards+Toffoli as a more appealing version of the Leafs offer. Or maybe McNabb instead of Toffoli.

Toffoli would be a great addition. Would actually make taking on Richards' contract much more palatable. Don't think the Kings are that desperate yet though.

I would be willing to give up a good prospect like Granlund or Reinhart + a cap dump for Toffoli and Richards.

Richards + Toffoli for Raymond/Stajan + Granlund would be fair.

Mr Lebowski

Go Flames
Feb 18, 2014
Toronto
I don't think the Kings will give up a 1st and a top prospect, it will be one or the other but not both, especially if salary is coming back to them.

Also remove Engelland from there, defense is already our weakness we can't afford to move a regular defenseman coming back. Also if we were moving a defenseman it would be much better to move Smid IMO)

In addition, Setoguchi is injured and thus is very unlikely to be moved.

It's more likely:

to Flames:
- Mike Richards
- 1st Round Pick or Derek Forbort

to Kings:
- Matt Stajan/David Jones (I think Stajan would be the Flames choice due to him being a centre and his contract being longer. I think Jones would be LA's choice as his contract ends sooner)

thumbs-up.jpg

Mr Lebowski

Go Flames
Feb 18, 2014
Toronto
Honestly if Stajan goes the other way just to make a spot for Richards is fine. We have cap space to take him. He's won a World Junior Gold, two Stanley Cups, an Olympic Gold, a Calder Cup and a Memorial Cup. Find one guy who's won that much playing now. He's a good leader in the dressing room and is work ethic is insane. He's good in the playoffs. he has experience which we don't have and who knows, he may just need a change of scenery to get back to his old self.

I'd easily do Stajan for Richards and a 2015 1st or a good RW or D prospect

Kanye

Life of Pablo
Feb 25, 2012
Chicago
The problem is with all these proposals we're sending LA back another high paid player in either Raymond, Smid, or Stajan... If you want quality, take all of Richards salary.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
What about 2mil for a 3rd line center?

Can't think of team on which Stajan would be an upgrade on the third line.

Oilers yes, but I don't see a trade between them and the Flames, and moreover, they probably already have Draisaitl and McDavid/Eichel penciled in as their 2nd/3rd line centres for next season.

I would be willing to give up a good prospect like Granlund or Reinhart + a cap dump for Toffoli and Richards.

Richards + Toffoli for Raymond/Stajan + Granlund would be fair.

Would only do it if it was both Raymond and Stajan. Flames could retain salary on Raymond to make it work.

The problem is with all these proposals we're sending LA back another high paid player in either Raymond, Smid, or Stajan... If you want quality, take all of Richards salary.

Depends on one's opinion of Richards. If you think a change of scenery will fix everything then yes, expecting to dump salary and receive quality picks/prospects seems a bit much because Richards has some value.

On the other hand, if you think Richards is a massive negative asset, a bottom six forward who can no longer play like he used to, then it makes complete sense to want to both dump salary while getting something more in return for taking on that horrible contract. And considering the Flames are directly competing with the Kings for a playoff spot not only this season, but for many years to come, it's bizarre frankly why so many fans want to do a division rival such a big favour by absolving their cap issue.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
The hope is that Richards finds somewhat of his form back if we did take him, and possibly flipping him for a late pick of some sort next year. Even if we took him, my assumption would be we wouldn't have him for longer than 2 years.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
The hope is that Richards finds somewhat of his form back if we did take him, and possibly flipping him for a late pick of some sort next year. Even if we took him, my assumption would be we wouldn't have him for longer than 2 years.

Problem is, there's no chance of him bouncing back unless he gets consistent top six ice time and that can only happen in Buffalo or Edmonton. And maybe not for long in either case if those teams end up with McDavid and Eichel.

Richards shouldn't be playing ahead of Monahan or Backlund. And if he plays as badly as he was on the Kings, he'd be below Jooris on the depth chart as well.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Problem is, there's no chance of him bouncing back unless he gets consistent top six ice time and that can only happen in Buffalo or Edmonton. And maybe not for long in either case if those teams end up with McDavid and Eichel.

Richards shouldn't be playing ahead of Monahan or Backlund. And if he plays as badly as he was on the Kings, he'd be below Jooris on the depth chart as well.

I honestly don't think that he needs top 6 minutes to get some sort of value back. Imo, he'll be a stopgap until Bennett is officially a full time NHLer. We can a change of scenery is all M. Richards needs.

Aug 21, 2014
Flames don't have a top 6, they run 3 even lines. Run Richards as your #3, with Bennett riding shotgun. Then in a couple you switch em.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad