Mike Richards. Interest & Asking Price

Aug 21, 2014
Monahan-Backlund-Richards down the middle looks good to me.
Next season, Bennett has a chance a trying to take Richard's spot or play as his winger.

MakeCgyGreatAgain

Feb 3, 2003
Calgary, AB
That would be a very idea by Calgary, because after acquiring Richards, Backlund would still 100% be their best centre until Monahan has finished surpassing him. Richards is not a hard minutes forward anymore. He plays bottom six players with relatively high ground and does reasonably well; his performance on ice is basically Backlund three years ago.

Believe me I'm a Backlund supporter and want him to be a Flame for a very long time. He's very underrated and a heart and sole, energy guy. It's just a gut feeling that I have that this would be the direction the actual guys in charge would take.

MakeCgyGreatAgain

Feb 3, 2003
Calgary, AB
I don't think the Kings will give up a 1st and a top prospect, it will be one or the other but not both, especially if salary is coming back to them.

Also remove Engelland from there, defense is already our weakness we can't afford to move a regular defenseman coming back. Also if we were moving a defenseman it would be much better to move Smid IMO)

In addition, Setoguchi is injured and thus is very unlikely to be moved.

It's more likely:

to Flames:
- Mike Richards
- 1st Round Pick or Derek Forbort

to Kings:
- Matt Stajan/David Jones (I think Stajan would be the Flames choice due to him being a centre and his contract being longer. I think Jones would be LA's choice as his contract ends sooner)

I'm not buying that it would just be a first rounder or top prospect. The rumour about Ribero and Ward lead me to believe it would take a lot more for anyone to take Richards. Now that he's cleared waivers DL is in desperation mode. The pressure he is under will force him to do something he considers very unreasonable. He has to sign a lot of important guys. If Ribero's contract is worth a top 15 pick Richards contract is easily a first and top prospect maybe more. We are one of the only teams that can help the Kings so their options are limited. 1st round picks and top prospects are never a sure thing either so its still a huge risk. If Richards does get dealt I really believe people will be in shock of what it takes to get him off their books.

Last edited:

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Believe me I'm a Backlund supporter and want him to be a Flame for a very long time. He's very underrated and a heart and sole, energy guy. It's just a gut feeling that I have that this would be the direction the actual guys in charge would take.

Burke and Treliving have both been very complimentary of Backlund since coming on board, the former going as far as to say, he was one of two players (the other being Brodie) that stood out the most once he had became familiar with the organization.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I'm not buying that it would just be a first rounder or top prospect. The rumour about Ribero and Ward lead me to believe it would take a lot more for anyone to take Richards. Now that he's cleared waivers DL is in desperation mode. The pressure he is under will force him to do something he considers very unreasonable. He has to sign a lot of important guys. If Ribero's contract is worth a top 15 pick Richards contract is easily a first and top prospect maybe more. We are one of the only teams that can help the Kings so their options are limited. 1st round picks and top prospects are never a sure thing either so its still a huge risk. If Richards does get dealt I really believe people will be in shock of what it takes to get him off their books.
What about the Ribiero & Ward make you think that there would be more than a first or a prospect coming with Richards? There was no talk of what the Flames would have been giving up, so you literally have no basis to compare the potential deals except that Treliving asked for a 1st to take either of the players, for all we know picks/prospects/roster players were in play going to the Coyotes/Canes in those offers.

The Leafs rumored offer was Phaneuf for Richards and Toffoli and the Kings declined, so how on earth would you think the Kings would consider giving up their 1st, Forbort and Richards for Stajan/Jones/Engelland? It simply would not happen since the Leafs offer is better and isn't sending Richards to a team they are fighting for a playoff spot with.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
That would be a very idea by Calgary, because after acquiring Richards, Backlund would still 100% be their best centre until Monahan has finished surpassing him. Richards is not a hard minutes forward anymore. He plays bottom six players with relatively high ground and does reasonably well; his performance on ice is basically Backlund three years ago.
This would depend what Backlund is moved for. But for the most part I agree, I'd rather hold onto Backlund.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Since M. Richards has cleared waivers, LA is going to have to give up a lot to get rid of him. The deal that didn't go through with Treliving probably looks good for the Kings now, but I wouldn't surprised if Treliving brought up the price even more (assuming there is still talks).

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010
I have to agree. Acquiring Richards would not mess us up too much. Depending on the deal we could be sending back a cap dump with shorter term which would help things. I think if we brought in Richards it would spell the end of Backlund in Calgary. With the term on MR deal and other guys to sign I think Backs would be the odd man out.

If a deal were to go down I'd like to see something like this

To Cgy:
Richards
Derek Forbort or Roland Mckeown
2015 1st

To LA:
Choice of Stajan, Jones, Engelland
Seto (Even up of contracts)

Zero chance of this happening. LA could save more cap space by simply buying him out.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Zero chance of this happening. LA could save more cap space by simply buying him out.

Yes and no. A buyout would leave up to 3 million in dead cap weight on the books for 7+ years (can't remember exact length); if they traded him for Stajan they'd get back a useful player, save at least 2.5 million in cap space (more if Flames retained some salary) and have that cap hit gone after four years.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA

It's not as farfetched as it seems. LA gets a cheaper contract and less term. However, if McKeown/Zykov/Forbort are the prospect coming back, a 2015 1st is going over the top. Depending on the prospect is what determines the 1st/2nd rounder.

If I was DL, I would be more than willing to give up a 2015 2nd + McKeown + Richards and taking back one or two of Engelland/Bollig/Raymond/Smid/Stajan (in that order).

Kanye

Life of Pablo
Feb 25, 2012
Chicago
Richards
Voynov
Toffoli
2nd

For

4th
Stajan retained.

If you want LA to bite giving up a top.player you'll have to eat all the salary.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
Richards
Voynov
Toffoli
2nd

For

4th
Stajan retained.

If you want LA to bite giving up a top.player you'll have to eat all the salary.

I have my doubts that Toffoli would get traded. Pearson is more likely to get traded than Toffoli imo.

Aug 21, 2014
Since M. Richards has cleared waivers, LA is going to have to give up a lot to get rid of him. The deal that didn't go through with Treliving probably looks good for the Kings now, but I wouldn't surprised if Treliving brought up the price even more (assuming there is still talks).

I hope there still trade talks. 9 teams(NYI,SJ,WPG,MIN,BUF,NAS,ARI,OTT,CGY) according to NHL Numbers can afford Richards without sending anything back.
Well that won't happen :laugh:

That's fine with me. :laugh:
Richards
Voynov
Toffoli
2nd

For

4th
Stajan retained.

Why Voynov. Good player but PR wise it looks so bad for the Flames.

JagrBomber

Oct 8, 2010
Calgary, Canada
if the Kings said no to Richards & Toffoli for Dion, they won't say yes for Stajan

They likely said no due to purely salary concerns, they might consider Stajan as he has a much more cap friendly contract.

And you have to remember that that was the offer BEFORE Richards cleared, things are very different now, and like some posters have already said, DL is likely more desperate and will have to cough up more to get Richards off the books.

Still unlikely to pry a guy like Toffoli from the Kings, but I can definitely see Pearson being included in a last ditch effort to rid themselves of Richards' contract.

Personally, I'd like to see something like this:

To LA:

Matt Stajan @ 50% Retained
Dereyk Engelland @ 50% Retained
2015 3rd/4th

To CGY:

Mike Richards
Slava Voynov
2015 1st

OR

Mike Richards
Tanner Pearson
2015 3rd/4th

Just pulled those out of my ass. Obviously not a hockey deal considering the circumstances (LA Purely trying to shed cap, acquire cap space and not hockey talent) Thoughts? First attempt at a proposal too haha so take it easy!

Taranis

Jul 9, 2013
Nova Scotia
Hard to really say what is fair value for a situation like this but I would like to see something that involves us getting their 1st. I can't see LA adding a roster player like Toffoli or Pearson.

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
Maybe we can get Shore out of LA

Not likely as I believe he is the player they want replacing Richards/Stoll moving forward.

I wonder if that was the deal breaker for DL for not getting a deal done. We could also sent our Shore there way if we could snag Toffoli/Pearson from them.

I would be beyond shocked if Dean Lombardi even considered moving Toffoli or Pearson. It's not going to happen.

Colin Miller is an interesting name that I am sure would be of interest to the Flames. He is not exactly a household name at the moment, but he is a great skater (won fastest skater at the AHL all star game beating out Poirier) and brings an absolute bomb from the point (set the AHL all star record for hardest shot).

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Want even less to do with Voynov than Richards' contract.

Cap hit if Richards is bought out this summer:

2015-16 $1.217
2016-17 $1.717
2017-18 $2.717
2018-19 $4.217
2019-20 $4.217
2020-21 $1.467
2021-22 $1.467
2022-23 $1.467
2023-24 $1.467
2024-25 $1.467​

It's not so bad outside of 2017-2020 but those three years are killer. But there's no reason to make things easy on the Kings especially now that they're a division rival. The more trouble they have with this the better it is for Calgary. If they can't get rid of Richards' contract or choose to buy him out and are thereby forced to lose Williams or Toffoli or miscellaneous depth, or carry a bunch of dead cap space of years, that only benefits the Flames.

Two of Stajan, Raymond (some salary retention), Smid for Richards (some retention) plus a first round pick. They can proceed to buyout/trade/waive the players they get if they want more cap space.

If the Burliving can put the screws on Lombardi, they have to.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad