Mike Richards. Interest & Asking Price

Ainsy01

Jun 12, 2014
Its no secret that Mike Richards has gone out of style in LA. After lengthy buy-out discussions this off-season, that eventually led to him promising Lombardi & Sutter that he would get in shape. Summer has come & gone, 40 games in and he is averaging around 11 minutes a game. He has a huge salary with term left on it.

Posted a similar thread when buy-out rumors were swirling around Richards this summer, 90% of flames fans said he would not be bought out, and the other 10% said they had no interest in him even if he was. Here we are in Calgary, half way through the season, surprising a lot of early season predictions and in the play-off race, with a fat wad of cash.

My question, or questions, are:

1. Is this guy a fit to a rebuilding flames team? He is 29 years old, plays center and has a huge contract that only a handful of teams could take on, Calgary being one.

2. Is the fire out in Mike Richards? The guy has won everything, done everything, made his millions. I am from Mike's home town and used to see him out and about (usually at the bar, pre-philly fiasco, of course), but the last year or so the guys been a recluse. He built a massive gym at his house and hired a trainer, but it doesn't seem to have helped.

3. If the answer to question 1 is yes, and 2 is no, what would his value be?
Gotta think Lombardi is shaking his head at missing the compliance buy-out window on this guy, and is looking to make amends for his decision any-way possible. LA has some ELC's coming off the books and needs to sort this out. Calgary has cap space, but in 3-4 years down the road the young guns and GIO will be looking for hefty raises, while Richards would be on the books until 2019 (5.75 per).

I honestly think he could be had for just about nothing, maybe a few late picks, possibly a mid-grade prospect if salary was retained. The real risk is on the buyer not the seller. (Luongo 2.0?)

Let me know what cha think !

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
I think this is one where if you want to move him, you'll be looking at paying to do so. Richards + A prospect for B prospect sort of thing. He wouldn't have too much value to us, because we have quite a few good centres in our organization that need playing time.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
I guess Calgary could take on him, however, he wouldn't really be given top 6 minutes like some think he would.

Makes no sense when we plan to roll with Monahan - Bennett - Backlund for the future, along with a lot more center prospects waiting for a shot at the big leagues too.

Imo, M. Richards is declining and every Flames' fan should not have any interest in him unless LA is giving us a 1st/2nd/good prospects to take him off of their hands.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
While the Flames center depth is strong, adding Richards would improve it. I'd be fine moving Bennett to the wing if the Flames could bring in Richards for next to nothing. However, the only way I'd do this trade is if Stajan were going back the other way.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
We have cap space, I'd do it for the glut of depth guys we have coming up.

Byron/Seto/Setoguchi and a 4th?

Richards can come in and as seen before, he can play 2nd line minutes. Maybe he just needs to be the goto-guy again?

Ainsy01

Jun 12, 2014
I guess Calgary could take on him, however, he wouldn't really be given top 6 minutes like some think he would.

Makes no sense when we plan to roll with Monahan - Bennett - Backlund for the future, along with a lot more center prospects waiting for a shot at the big leagues too.

Imo, M. Richards is declining and every Flames' fan should not have any interest in him unless LA is giving us a 1st/2nd/good prospects to take him off of their hands.

How can anyone " plan to roll with" Bennett when the guy hasnt played a single game in the NHL? We all predict these prospects to be saviors before they even play, and the fact is we have noooo idea how they will be (Beartschi :() I get that hes a huge talent and will be awesome, but will he be a #2 center his first year? Is Monahan a #1 center this year? On Calgary yes, 25-27 other teams , no. I am optimistic they will be great and lead us to glory blah blah blah.. but if David Jones is playing first line minutes, why couldnt Mike Richards? He has 10 times more experience, he plays center he kills penalties and could quarter back a young explosive powerplay. He could reignite the fire with the flaming C, (that was bad)

I am not saying its a great option, but its not a bad one to consider.

Yung Rotini

6 Summers
May 18, 2013
Penticton, BC
Honestly, I don't think Richards is in decline. I think he performs better as the top guy and if he comes here, he could be that again and really succeed. But LA still values him and it would take quite a bit for them to trade him.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
How can anyone " plan to roll with" Bennett when the guy hasnt played a single game in the NHL? We all predict these prospects to be saviors before they even play, and the fact is we have noooo idea how they will be (Beartschi :() I get that hes a huge talent and will be awesome, but will he be a #2 center his first year? Is Monahan a #1 center this year? On Calgary yes, 25-27 other teams , no. I am optimistic they will be great and lead us to glory blah blah blah.. but if David Jones is playing first line minutes, why couldnt Mike Richards? He has 10 times more experience, he plays center he kills penalties and could quarter back a young explosive powerplay. He could reignite the fire with the flaming C, (that was bad)

Plan to roll with Bennett. Never did I say he was definitely getting the spot.

I just don't like his contract. It's way too long, and I think it will be a problem if we are eventually contending around that time.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria

Regardless of whether Bennett is immediately successful or not, trading for a guy who will be here for three years hampering our spending ability while probably not contributing a whole lot is not a good idea. Our centre ice position right now is Monahan-Backlund-Jooris-Stajan. None of those guys needs to go anywhere. We also have Granlund, Reinhart, Knight etc. Whether or not we should get Richards has nothing to do with Bennett, really.

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
I don't think Burke likes these contracts. Let alone giving up any assets to acquire one.

and I think I'd rather keep Stajan, his contract, his term and his ability to move up and down the line up.

It's one thing to be willing to take on a bad contract if another piece comes along, but it's not if that bad contract has term like Richards does.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
He's under contract until 2019 - he'd only be 34-35 then. He won't (shouldn't) be a washed-up wreck at that point.

I'd be mildly interested, but Stajan would almost have to go the other way (does he have a NTC? where do I learn these things without Capgeek?!), and I'm not sold on the idea of selling off a ton of prospects to get him. Move Bennett to RW and the Flames are basically set at centre for the near future with Richards / Monahan / Backlund / 4th line person/Jankowksi.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
I would only trade for Richards if it was for Matt Stajan straight up.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
He's under contract until 2019 - he'd only be 34-35 then. He won't (shouldn't) be a washed-up wreck at that point.

I'd be mildly interested, but Stajan would almost have to go the other way (does he have a NTC? where do I learn these things without Capgeek?!), and I'm not sold on the idea of selling off a ton of prospects to get him. Move Bennett to RW and the Flames are basically set at centre for the near future with Richards / Monahan / Backlund / 4th line person/Jankowksi.
check the super awesome mega thread and click the player information link. ;)

you're welcome

slappipappi

Jul 22, 2010

This makes a ton of sense to me.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
If I recall correctly, Richards doesn't have a NTC. The Flyers traded him before it was activated and the Kings choose not to honour it. Stajan has a partial NTC.

The only way I'd consider taking on Richards is if the Kings included their first round pick and the Flames were only giving up Stajan. Without the first, I'd rather just keep Stajan since his contract runs out much sooner and he'll be easier to trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad