Player Discussion Mike Reilly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
Pierre McGuire said Mete wouldn’t last 20 games, but he did. So yes he would last in the playoffs.
That's because Pierre thinks logically most of the time unlike the Clown Boss

dc563c49f3a8942b9dc6fe87ac9ff6c2--pants-for-men-corduroy-pants.jpg
Subido-Kid_s-High-Visibility-Reflective-Tee-Neon-Camo-1-Back_grande.png

Seriously, who wears this t-shirt to a GM's meeting? Only MB the clown does, how embarrassing for all of Montreal.

The book is not in on Reilly yet though..

Reactions: hersky77

mariolemieux66

Sep 17, 2008
Vancouver
I highly doubt mete would have any issues playing in playoffs due to his height.

Just look at the play of Krug, Schmidt etc...
Krug was also 22 when he played his first NHL season after playing 63 games in the AHL. Schmidt has at least 3 inches and 15 pounds on Mete and turned pro at 21. Mete is still very young, small and lack experience to deal with bigger and stronger bodies. He's not NHL.

Reactions: Cobra Commander

schnapshot

Mendoza baby
Jan 8, 2015
Montreal
Krug was also 22 when he played his first NHL season after playing 63 games in the AHL. Schmidt has at least 3 inches and 15 pounds on Mete and turned pro at 21. Mete is still very young, small and lack experience to deal with bigger and stronger bodies. He's not NHL.
We didn’t make the playoffs this year and probably won’t make them next year so what’s your point?

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
20 regular season games on a bottom 5 team isn't the same thing as playoffs hockey.
Well, you've kind of inadvertently praised Mete, considering it is much harder to play on a team as bad as the Habs (especially defensively) as it is to play for a contender like Nashville or Tampa Bay, who are more insulated at all positions and their goalies were much better this year than Price was.

Given Mete was able to play NHL hockey and continue improving in as tough a season as this one on as bad a defensive core as we had, it certainly bodes well for his future development and ability to play tougher minutes down the road.

Reactions: Astormynight

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
He's got a spot on my team for sure as a 2nd paring LD

the problem is that we have THREE bottom pairing LD behind him...and 0 for the #1 LD...

Only Bergevin.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Not sure how we can have any type of opinion on Reilly after the little games we saw him play in such a not important stretch of games. This guy will have to be better than the 6 d-men we will have in the preseason. It's really not like the Wild is so deep defensively either and he was seen as unimportant for them. So if we already have a spot for him on our defense, it means that we are even worst than we thought. Let,s wait to see what we will do. Let's have him compete for a spot. And then re-assess.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Not sure how we can have any type of opinion on Reilly after the little games we saw him play in such a not important stretch of games. This guy will have to be better than the 6 d-men we will have in the preseason. It's really not like the Wild is so deep defensively either and he was seen as unimportant for them. So if we already have a spot for him on our defense, it means that we are even worst than we thought. Let,s wait to see what we will do. Let's have him compete for a spot. And then re-assess.
To be fair, MIN have a strong defense on the left side (Suter, Brodin and Scandella before this season) so it's not like we grabbed him from DET or something. Anyway, I know some are holding their optimism regarding Reilly but I really liked his game based on what I saw (which is not more than 5-6 games due to this team being shit). I am hopeful that he can be an upgrade on Beaulieu and play 18 minutes a night for us.

A55P2

Jul 14, 2009
Québec, Québec
To me he passed the eyes test. He's got wheels. I remember some plays where he went into the O-zone at a very high speed, I was even surprised to see him having that much speed.

He could still get better at stickhandling, but if there's something outside of positioning that can take some time to adapt when coming to a new team, its the choice of what type of play to make and when to make them. Therefore, I think is stickhandling can get better and it's not like it was that bad.

He seems to have a decent offensive IQ, made some good passes at times in a limited role. Seemed more intelligent than Beaulieu and may be a bit more than Barberio. While Reilly has the same type of physical tools as Beaulieu with a higher IQ, he's more of an NHLer physically than Barberio.

Defensively it's still hard to tell. He doesn't seem that great, but not excessively bad like Beaulieu. We'll have to wait and see. I have to say that I'm very optimistic about that guy. I think he'll find his way as a regular, but that's based on a limited viewing of his play with the CH this year. Let's see.

Reactions: 27Galchenyuk94

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I think he will have a good season. Should get all the PP time and offensive chances in the world. Will make a great trading asset, and a weak defensive game is looked at lightly on an awful team imo.

Reactions: montreal

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
I could see him winning the 1LD spot next to Petry to start the season. I think it would be between him and Mete. While I think bringing in Depres and Ouellet is a good thing, I don't think they'll do enough to win the 1LD spot.

Reactions: Redux91

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I could see him winning the 1LD spot next to Petry to start the season. I think it would be between him and Mete. While I think bringing in Depres and Ouellet is a good thing, I don't think they'll do enough to win the 1LD spot.

have been saying Reilly at 1LD since the season ended. I don't like him with Petry but I think he would be a very good fit with Weber, who could be back in November possibly since they are saying 5 to 6 months which would be around Nov 19th. Reilly would give Weber the puck moving D he needs to be paired with and Weber would help with Reilly's terrible defensive game.

I really hope Mete is in the AHL working on his offensive game but I think management thinks they can win and will do what is best to win games vs development.

Reactions: Redux91

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
You'd be right.... if this was 1996.

Teams don't try to annihilate themselves like they did before. There's more hits for sure, but systems focus on puck separation a lot more than pure violence now. As long as he's playing with a bigger player on his right to push players away from Price, I see no reason why he couldn't compete in the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad