Player Discussion Mike Reilly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Cool. The core still sucks and Weber is declining.

I wouldn't say Weber, Petry, Mete or Juulsen suck. Far from it.

-Weber may be declining, but he played the whole season on an injured foot. Let's wait until he's healthy to see how good of a defenseman he is at the age of 33. Chara is still pretty darn good at 40. Markov was pretty darn good at 38. Let's let him get healthy and actually watch him when he's healthy.

-I'm a Petry fan.

-Juulsen. He's definitely not reached his peak, but he's shown signs he can play like a solid young veteran, despite his young age. We'll see how good he is when the games mean something next year.

-Mete. I doubt he'll suck when he's fully developed. I like his game a lot. Fast and already fearless with the puck. He does need to deal with the forecheck better and big bodies in front of the net. Will he be ready to be a top 4 next year? It's possible. I expect him to be a top 4 when he's fully developed.

So, Reilly is the wild card. But he should be able to fill a bottom pairing role.

And, we still need to fill the hole left by Markov. If we fill that hole we're good. If we don't, we're in a precarious position, no doubt.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
If we get Dahlin or another one of the stud d to play on the left top pairing that d core looks great

As it stands now, if Mete and/or Reilly step up their game next year, as both youngins will be a year older and more experienced, that would also be huge:

Mete Weber
Reilly Petry
Alzner Juulsen
Benn/Valiev/Lernout

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Cool. The core still sucks and Weber is declining.

Does Weber suck?
Does Petry suck?
Does Juulsen suck?
Does Mete suck?

Cause that's our core.

Then you have Alzner who has looked like a servicable bottom pairing dman with Juulsen (a number 4 already). And, the book is still open on Reilly.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Doesn't make it right to not have a number 2 though. It's okay to play your number 2 on the 2nd pairing but you got to have a number 2. We don't have a number 2 right now. We have a number 1 in weber, a number 3 or 4 in Petry and a bunch of 5/6.

There's no trouble with

#4 - #1
#2 - #3

There's a big problem with

#4 - #1
#5 - #3

Ideally, you’d want:

#3 - #1
#4 - #2

But we don’t have a #3 or #2 depending how you classify Petry.

WinterLion

Oct 1, 2017
Does Weber suck?
Does Petry suck?
Does Juulsen suck?
Does Mete suck?

Cause that's our core.

Then you have Alzner who has looked like a servicable bottom pairing dman with Juulsen (a number 4 already). And, the book is still open on Reilly.

Doesn't suck, but Mete & Juulsen are pretty young and are still prone to errors. A lot will depend on how those guys & Reilly do moving forward.... and who we pick with our 2018 1st as well... because there is a very good chance it will be a D.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Personally I'm fine with Weber/Petry mentoring Juulsen/Mete as top-4 guys. It's not a spectacular D like Nashville but if Price regains form (as is expected of him with that contract) I wouldnt be worried about the defense. Scoring goals is gonna be a much bigger problem without a true 1C.

I view Reilly as an upgrade over Benn/Alzner because at this point blueliners who can skate and move the puck are the way to go. Benn and Alzner are not bad skaters but are terrible with the puck. Defensive Ds are basically dead in the NHL at this point. You need puckmovers who can also be solid in their own end. None of Subban, R.Ellis and Josi were ever considered good in their own zone but they got better through the years. They were always offensive puck movers.

I know we say this often, but if everyone on our backend plays ''like they should'' i.e. according to their potential and stay healthy, I'm fine with going into next season without a new acquisition on D. What we need is a 1C to bring in more offense IMO.

Price backstopping Mete-Weber, Alzner-Petry and Reilly-Juulsen is fine by me, with Benn as #7. Schlemko/Lernout/Valiev in Laval.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Does Weber suck?
Does Petry suck?
Does Juulsen suck?
Does Mete suck?

Cause that's our core.

They’re not world beaters but it’s an okay top 6.....the emergence of Reilly and Juulsen makes this top 6 a lot more mobile and mirror more of today’s nhl D corps.

What’s important is that they maintain their ascension.....Alzner is the obvious weak link but WTF, if he can b on that 3rd pairing with Juulsen.....

Then there’s Mete, the nice progression of Fleury and Brook, plus this years draft, looks like we'll b okay for the foreseeable future.

Would b nice to add Dahlin to that group, would be drool worthy.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Ideally, you’d want:

#3 - #1
#4 - #2

But we don’t have a #3 or #2 depending how you classify Petry.

Juulsen is a #4. Can Mete be a #4 next year? He's a #5 now. Reilly and Alzner are #5's. Can Reilly become a #4?

So imo we have

#4/5 #1
#4/5 #2/3
#5 #4

i.e.

Mete Weber
Rielly Petry
Alzner Juulsen

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
Juulsen is a #4. Can Mete be a #4 next year? He's a #5 now. Reilly and Alzner are #5's. Can Reilly become a #4?

So imo we have

#4/5 #1
#4/5 #2/3
#5 #4

i.e.

Mete Weber
Rielly Petry
Alzner Juulsen

I think more realistically it’ll be

Reilly Weber
Mete Petry
Alzner Juulsen
Schlemko or Benn

Reilly a little older and can produce more offence than Mete has shown. In fact, I wouldn’t be surprised if Mete plays in Laval next year and Schlemko or Benn slot in the top 6 instead.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Does Weber suck?
Does Petry suck?
Does Juulsen suck?
Does Mete suck?

Cause that's our core.

Mate and Juulsen are already part of the core ?? really ?? one of the guy recently recalled because of injuries is already part of the Habs core ??

damn!

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
I think more realistically it’ll be

Reilly Weber
Mete Petry
Alzner Juulsen
Schlemko or Benn

Reilly a little older and can produce more offence than Mete has shown. In fact, I wouldn’t be surprised if Mete plays in Laval next year and Schlemko or Benn slot in the top 6 instead.

I wouldn't be surprised if Mete is in Laval either. But hopefully it's not because Schlemko or Benn are next to Weber. Hopefully it's because we brought in someone else. Mete beat out everyone in camp last year. Can he do it again?

But really, I don't think Mete will be strong enough yet to go against top lines either. But, I also don't want want Reilly in that role. Although Reilly is older, he's still more jittery with the puck. I'd like to allow him time/a full seaon to settle in before putting hiim in that role. Although Mete is not strong physically, he's very daring and confident with the puck. That's why I have him ahead of Reilly, if we don't find someone else. I also have Mete ahead of Benn and Schlemko. They're simply unacceptable. If Mete can handle the physicality I think he may be able to grow into the role. Hopefully we bring in someone else.

Reactions: shutehinside

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
Mate and Juulsen are already part of the core ?? really ?? one of the guy recently recalled because of injuries is already part of the Habs core ??

damn!

Imo Juulsen has so far been a stabilizing force on the backend, despite his youth. He's very mature as far as how he reads the play. He's starting to make mistakes, though. So we'll see what he is at this stage of his career by the end of the season, will more games under his belt.

As for Mete, yes he's got his flaws. He's more of a positive moving forward.

It's a young man's game now. It's not necessarily bad to have two young guys as your 3rd and 4th best dmen. Let's see what Mete can do next year when he comes to camp 1 year older, 1 year more physically developed and with a year of experience in the NHL under his belt. One things for sure: he's never shy when he gets the puck.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Imo Juulsen has so far been a stabilizing force on the backend, despite his youth. He's very mature as far as how he reads the play. He's starting to make mistakes, though. So we'll see what he is at this stage of his career by the end of the season, will more games under his belt.

As for Mete, yes he's got his flaws. He's more of a positive moving forward.

It's a young man's game now. It's not necessarily bad to have two young guys as your 3rd and 4th best dmen. Let's see what Mete can do next year when he comes to camp 1 year older, 1 year more physically developed and with a year of experience in the NHL under his belt. One things for sure: he's never shy when he gets the puck.
one post they're part of the core, next post "we'll see"...

so are they part of the core or not ? ? ?

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
one post they're part of the core, next post "we'll see"...

so are they part of the core or not ? ? ?

They're definitely part of the young core we'll build around. I'm not ready to put Reilly in that category. I'm not sure if Mete is top 4 out of training camp next year. If I had to guess, I would say yes. I am comfortable with Mete in the top 4 all year next year.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
have to wait and see with Reilly obviously.

Put Dahlin next to Weber and that's likely one of the best top pairings in the league.

Will see how much he declines. I doubt it would be that much. He's too smart where I really doubt his physical deterioration, real or not, will effect his game to the extent some would think.

Reactions: jaffy27

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
They're definitely part of the young core we'll build around. I'm not ready to put Reilly in that category. I'm not sure if Mete is top 4 out of training camp next year. If I had to guess, I would say yes. I am comfortable with Mete in the top 4 all year next year.
not sure about Mete, not ready for Reilly, forgot Juulsen...

that's not really a core...

core remains Weber, Petry, Alzner for now.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
have to wait and see with Reilly obviously.

Put Dahlin next to Weber and that's likely one of the best top pairings in the league.

Will see how much he declines. I doubt it would be that much. He's too smart where I really doubt his physical deterioration, real or not, will effect his game to the extent some would think.
Every time I look at your avatar I think of Don Knotts :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->