Value of: Mike Reilly to WPG

Gavin Ray

Jul 10, 2016
Mars
And he is also a sh*tty defenseman playing for Ottawa Senators. He's not nearly skilled enough to deal with the bad he creates. Montreal traded him for nothing when they didn't have any half decent LD. Should be an obvious hint to that one.

In response to the OP, any pick any round, and its a deal.

He was traded last year for a 5th while Montreal had plenty of NHL D. Victor Mete still hasn't gotten the shot he deserves.

He has progressed a lot since the trade. He was pretty bad to start this season but since playing with Artem zub instead of Gudbranson and Zaitsev he's been lights out. Maybe watch Reilly and Zub play, they have been our best pairing hands down. There's no point in trading him for a late pick that won't amount to anything. Resign Reilly for another year and see what you have with that shutdown pairing.

TSA0402

Apr 4, 2011
Ottawa
He was traded last year for a 5th while Montreal had plenty of NHL D. Victor Mete still hasn't gotten the shot he deserves.

He has progressed a lot since the trade. He was pretty bad to start this season but since playing with Artem zub instead of Gudbranson and Zaitsev he's been lights out. Maybe watch Reilly and Zub play, they have been our best pairing hands down. There's no point in trading him for a late pick that won't amount to anything. Resign Reilly for another year and see what you have with that shutdown pairing.

Ottawa have plenty of NHL D as well. Just happen to be the bottom pairing, press box kind. Reilly was traded cause of guys like Chiariot, Edmundson, Mete. Meaning they are still looking!

Shutdown pairing? I'm assuming you did not watch that Edmonton Oilers game yesterday. Reilly is scared of McDavid, and got beat up by Yamamoto. Zub is a bit overrated by Sens fans but he is clearly carrying that pairing. Not the best pairing. Even if Chabot screws up too much with the puck, his skill and least compensates that.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
idk his on-ice results look good. i think it's similar to Demelo who was a bit unheralded league-wide, but the stats/analytics guy like him. he's been arguably WPGs best Dman since he's gotten here (which probably says more about WPG's d group :laugh:)

But in GAR (not sure if you follow that stat), Demelo rates really well across NHL dmen over the past couple years

Bruh we took DeMelo off of Morrisseys pairing because he was the weak link there. Morrissey is by far and away a much better defencemen than DeMelo has been or ever will be. Not to mention Pionk has been the Jets best dman by a fair bit this season. When DeMelo came back from his time off there he was actually arguably our worst defencemen. And that's saying something considering he was competing with Forbort, Poolman and a rookie Logan Stanley. Hes gotten better but hes in no way shape or form in any competition to be the Jets best defencemen. You could make an argument for 3rd best but that's not saying much right now.

pegcity

Feb 9, 2011
Winnipeg
The people who are dumping on Demelo haven't looked at the fancy stats. Across all of the fancy stat websites, he has been the Jets second best defenseman. Morrissey has been terrible that last 2 season. Forbert started off the season well, but has sense fallen from earth. And I watched every Jets game (if stats don't do it for you). Morrissey is now the defensive whipping boy. Stanley has looked okay but his minutes have been very sheltered.

For those who are wondering why Maurice is playing Demelo on the third pairing should also be asking why Nik Ehlers is playing the second line and second powerplay unit for basically his entire career.

Reactions: MardyBum and DRW204

pegcity

Feb 9, 2011
Winnipeg
upload_2021-4-8_13-42-30.png

Here is one website. Morrissey's numbers are bad because Maurice keeps on giving him tough minutes (probably because he's got no one else on the left side).

Demelo's minute's are defensively minded and he's doesn't have the size to be noticeable. Thus fans undervalue him.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
The people who are dumping on Demelo haven't looked at the fancy stats. Across all of the fancy stat websites, he has been the Jets second best defenseman. Morrissey has been terrible that last 2 season. Forbert started off the season well, but has sense fallen from earth. And I watched every Jets game (if stats don't do it for you). Morrissey is now the defensive whipping boy. Stanley has looked okay but his minutes have been very sheltered.

For those who are wondering why Maurice is playing Demelo on the third pairing should also be asking why Nik Ehlers is playing the second line and second powerplay unit for basically his entire career.
Stanley has been good not okay. Also Demelo is 2nd. Pionk is clearly 1st by a wide margin. Morissey needs Demelo more than Stanley in his sheltered way. Also demelo must also be being sheltered as they only play him with Stanley and since Stanley is playing against weaker lines so is demelo. Demelo should get more top pairing minutes near end of game with Morissey.

Reactions: DRW204

pegcity

Feb 9, 2011
Winnipeg
Stanley has been good not okay. Also Demelo is 2nd. Pionk is clearly 1st by a wide margin. Morissey needs Demelo more than Stanley in his sheltered way. Also demelo must also be being sheltered as they only play him with Stanley and since Stanley is playing against weaker lines so is demelo. Demelo should get more top pairing minutes near end of game with Morissey.

You should look it up. Stanley's minutes have been the most sheltered on the team (for a defenseman)

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
You should look it up. Stanley's minutes have been the most sheltered on the team (for a defenseman)
No argument there. Yet demelo always plays with him against other times 3rd and 4th line. It’s not like demelo gets extra shifts with morrissey against top lines.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
I mean if WPG gets him as a Beaulieu replacement since hes out for the season that makes sense very similar plays except Reilly doesn't fight.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010

If we are going off fancy stats, I expect at minimum a first round pick for Mike Reilly.

pegcity

Feb 9, 2011
Winnipeg
The Jets holes right now

LD-Pionk
LD-Demelo
Morrissey-Poolman
Forbert/Stanley.

They need a shut down defenseman and a first pairing as well (which is why Ekholm made so much sense, because he does both). Reilly would be an improvement over Forbert or Stanley.....and to be honest, Morrissey as well (based on this season and last).

He's not great, but there isn't a lot on the market right now.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Say what now?
between him and pionk. I think Pionk has higher high's but demelo is more steady (this is since Demelo has been here so TDL 19-20 onward). morrissey has been shit for 2 years now. not sure who has been better? def not forbort, beaulieu, poolman....

people still think this is morrissey of 17-18. he's been an utter disaster on the top pair for going-on 2 years now. i will say his play as of late has been better, but he's still no where near the morrissey of old.
View attachment 419204

Here is one website. Morrissey's numbers are bad because Maurice keeps on giving him tough minutes (probably because he's got no one else on the left side).

Demelo's minute's are defensively minded and he's doesn't have the size to be noticeable. Thus fans undervalue him.
here's also a post from Garret Hohl who frequents the Jets forum

honestly don't understand the demelo hate. the WPG d group hasn't been great so it doesn't take much to be the better one's on the team :dunno:

Bruh we took DeMelo off of Morrisseys pairing because he was the weak link there. Morrissey is by far and away a much better defencemen than DeMelo has been or ever will be. Not to mention Pionk has been the Jets best dman by a fair bit this season. When DeMelo came back from his time off there he was actually arguably our worst defencemen. And that's saying something considering he was competing with Forbort, Poolman and a rookie Logan Stanley. Hes gotten better but hes in no way shape or form in any competition to be the Jets best defencemen. You could make an argument for 3rd best but that's not saying much right now.

look at morrissey's numbers w/ and without demelo over the past 2 years, and reconsider "weak link"

Last edited:

pegcity

Feb 9, 2011
Winnipeg
honestly don't understand the demelo hate. the WPG d group hasn't been great so it doesn't take much to be the better one's on the team :dunno:

look at morrissey's numbers w/ and without demelo over the past 2 years, and reconsider "weak link"

I think it's because Demelo doesn't have size or flash. He's just boring and unnoticeable.

Reactions: MardyBum and DRW204

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I mean if WPG gets him as a Beaulieu replacement since hes out for the season that makes sense very similar plays except Reilly doesn't fight.
beaulieu can't move the puck at all. he's tough but he's a liability everywhere on the ice, offense and defense

reilly seems to be a solid puck mover, and on a team that's -33 (at 5v5) he's a -4, and it's not like he's being sheltered. positive in the shot/chance share as well.
I think it's because Demelo doesn't have size or flash. He's just boring and unnoticeable.
you're probably right. which is better than being addicted to gaffes like morrissey

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
beaulieu can't move the puck at all. he's tough but he's a liability everywhere on the ice, offense and defense

reilly seems to be a solid puck mover, and on a team that's -33 (at 5v5) he's a -4, and it's not like he's being sheltered. positive in the shot/chance share as well.

you're probably right. which is better than being addicted to gaffes like morrissey

Beaulieu can't move the puck? I wonder what happended to him, I watched both play on the Habs and they reminded me of eachother when they were here.

When Beau last played for the Habs he put up 28 points in a season was good offensively and was fairly tough but sucked in his own end.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Beaulieu can't move the puck? I wonder what happended to him, I watched both play on the Habs and they reminded me of eachother when they were here.

When Beau last played for the Habs he put up 28 points in a season was good offensively and was fairly tough but sucked in his own end.
how much of those pts came on the PP? and yeah this year at least, his puck-moving abilities have been bad. pretty sure he ranks at the bottom of the Jets in zone exits. Morrissey takes most of the workload, i think b/c beau is brutal at it.

he has been playing w/ a torn labrum apparently though so :dunno:

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
how much of those pts came on the PP? and yeah this year at least, his puck-moving abilities have been bad. pretty sure he ranks at the bottom of the Jets in zone exits. Morrissey takes most of the workload, i think b/c beau is brutal at it.

he has been playing w/ a torn labrum apparently though so :dunno:

Just under half were powerplay (12 out of the 28). I'm just shocked he has done so poorly in terms of offense

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
between him and pionk. I think Pionk has higher high's but demelo is more steady (this is since Demelo has been here so TDL 19-20 onward). morrissey has been shit for 2 years now. not sure who has been better? def not forbort, beaulieu, poolman....

If we just look at this year DeMelo has been disappointing. I recall a game where he had about 12 opportunities to keep the puck in at the blue line and he let around 10 or 11 get past him. Beauliue shouldn't even have been on the ice. Poolman is playing over his head and that is mainly because for whatever reason DeMelo had a garbage start to the season and the coaches decided to play Poolman up instead. With Morrissey he definitely has been disappointing as well and part of that is based on expectations. We expect way more from him then DeMelo. DeMelo has been getting MUCH easier competition on the 3rd pair so I wouldn't really compare that apples to apples with Morrissey. If I had to choose one to keep between them it's Morrissey all day because we at least know he does have a higher level that he can play.

The Jets need a better D then DeMelo and Forbort to improve the whole team by pushing people down into slots that better fit their abilities. Of course it would be nice to get a D better then all of our guys but those don't just fall off the back of trucks.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
If we just look at this year DeMelo has been disappointing. I recall a game where he had about 12 opportunities to keep the puck in at the blue line and he let around 10 or 11 get past him. Beauliue shouldn't even have been on the ice. Poolman is playing over his head and that is mainly because for whatever reason DeMelo had a garbage start to the season and the coaches decided to play Poolman up instead. With Morrissey he definitely has been disappointing as well and part of that is based on expectations. We expect way more from him then DeMelo. DeMelo has been getting MUCH easier competition on the 3rd pair so I wouldn't really compare that apples to apples with Morrissey. If I had to choose one to keep between them it's Morrissey all day because we at least know he does have a higher level that he can play.

The Jets need a better D then DeMelo and Forbort to improve the whole team by pushing people down into slots that better fit their abilities. Of course it would be nice to get a D better then all of our guys but those don't just fall off the back of trucks.
not sure how you conclude he's been dissapointing? he was meh to start after having his child, but has been V good since. and any time he has been paired with Morrissey - since he's been here - it's been a night-and-day difference in on-ice measures for the top-pair.

this is in RAPM

and iso impact by IneffectiveMath

idk i think maurice should be pairing:
Morrissey-Demelo, give Stanley a look next to Pionk, i think Forbort's game has been faltering as the season has progressed.

problem is, Forbort-Poolman imo are two below-average puck movers, and forbort's speed can be a liability. that's why i think we need an upgrade at LD more than RD (contingent on Demelo being next to Morrissey). I think the chances of the Jets landing a true top pair RD is very slim, but i also do not think the defense group has been optimized to succeed.

Reactions: MardyBum

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad