Rumor: Mike Reilly hoping to be traded

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
Avs maybe take a look if there is 50% retention. Their D depth is taking a beating at the moment and even next year they will need depth. At 50% retained that contract is also movable next year if the Avs don't want him/need the room.

• Haha
Reactions: pearljamvs5

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Mike Reilly has been waived twice now, both times clearing. He was not in the AHL lineup last night and is expected to not be in the lineup tomorrow. Mark Divver of the New England Hockey Journal reported that he is hoping for a trade via twitter.

No teams want him for free, so what sweetener would you be looking for from the Bruins to take Reilly?

For what it is worth, Reilly is still an NHL caliber defenseman, probably best on your third pair but can move the puck well.
how is free when he is on cap hit of 3mill for this and next season and he is owed 4mill for next year. When we oiler fans tried to move Foegele a few weeks ago we were told we would need add a 1st and a 3rd to move him--he is owed about .750k less then Reily

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
I think some teams would be interested if the Bruins retained. He could be what Schultz was for the Pens.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
As a Kings fan I would trade Sean Walker for him straight up.

But Walker's cap hit is only slightly lower at 2.65M, so the cap savings would be minimal.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Interesting, I though Bruins fans were high on Reilly last season.
I didn't think he'd slip through waivers tbh. Now that he has twice, we've been humbled.

He's ok. Honestly if a team could get a pick out of Boston for taking him. Then ship him out next deadline, it's basically 2 picks for free at this point.

BergyWho37

Only The Strong Will Survive (Never Give Up)
Jun 18, 2012
True North
I think eventually it’ll be for someone that makes close to a million a year and a 5th for Reilly and a 3rd is my guess.

Last edited:
Reactions: quietbruinfan

cbjthrowaway

Jul 4, 2020
The GM he said "no" to was Kekalainen.
Wasn't one of those "first round college-bound player doesn't want to sign for the team that drafted him" things, either. He was an undersized fourth round pick.

He came to their dev camps every year. Gave every indication that he was gonna sign after finishing school. Then told them at the last minute he wasn't gonna sign.

That said, I did give us one of the funniest CBJ fan moments I can remember: Ryan Johansen tweeting "we didn't want him anyway"

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Seeing that he cleared waivers. no one is taking Reilly at full salary. It would take a sweetener to dump him or retention. Or an equally bad contract in return. Or all of the 3.

I could see him being moved at the deadline in some fashion.

DangleCity

Jun 23, 2016
Bruins are probably going to need him at some point if they plan on making a deep run this spring. You can never have to many d men. They can figure out moving him in the offseason

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
I think eventually it’ll be for someone that makes close to a million a year and a 5th for Reilly and a 3rd is my guess.

nobody is giving up an actual decent prospect for him. A contract— yes.

givrn he has another year left, getting a late 3rd for a 5th does not move the needle in a team acquiring him unless thry are desparste.

remrmber his salary next year is higher than cap hit. Thsts another huge factor. Had it been re erased where last year had less money than cap there would be more interest.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Leafs probably will be interested.

They have injuries on D, and with Mete/Benn already around it seems like Dubas is trying to reunite that stacked 2017-2018 Habs' D.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Leafs probably will be interested.

They have injuries on D, and with Mete/Benn already around it seems like Dubas is trying to reunite that stacked 2017-2018 Habs' D.
Sold.

Reilly to Toronto for one signed Photo of John Tavares in Leafs PJs (doesn't even need to be JT's signature)

Bruins are probably going to need him at some point if they plan on making a deep run this spring. You can never have to many d men. They can figure out moving him in the offseason
Bruins need to move someone though... so he's a luxury they literally can't have unless another player is moved.

Right now, it's no secret, but Reilly and/or Craig Smith are probably had for dirt cheap.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Mike Reilly has been waived twice now, both times clearing. He was not in the AHL lineup last night and is expected to not be in the lineup tomorrow. Mark Divver of the New England Hockey Journal reported that he is hoping for a trade via twitter.

No teams want him for free, so what sweetener would you be looking for from the Bruins to take Reilly?

For what it is worth, Reilly is still an NHL caliber defenseman, probably best on your third pair but can move the puck well.
Canucks can trade you OEL for Mike Reilly. Dont worry you dont even need retention on Mike

Avs maybe take a look if there is 50% retention. Their D depth is taking a beating at the moment and even next year they will need depth. At 50% retained that contract is also movable next year if the Avs don't want him/need the room.
we will give Avs poolman for free

burstnbloom

Mar 10, 2006
One of the worst D in the league.

lol this is hilarious.

Mike Reilly is so misunderstood. If there were no covid cap, Reilly would have been easily moved, but there are only 4 teams that can add $3mil in cap and in this environment, teams aren't making massive re-arrangements to supplement the bottom of their rosters.

Reilly is above average at zone entry defense, puck retrievals, controlled zone exits and play driving. He's a victim of the bruins cap structure and having 5 NHL LHD. He's played solidly with every bruins RHD, achieving xG% of 55% with all three of them. He was better than that the year he was traded out of Ottawa despite larger than average D zone deployment. He's a good player who makes just enough money to be a cap casualty in Boston because he's not as good at his role as Gryz.

The Murph

Feb 25, 2018
He's actually not that bad. Thought he definitely improved his playoff play last year, willing to work hard and battle in the corners, unlike the previous year.

He's an everyday NHL defenseman and he knows it, he wants to play. Just a terrible situation for him right now in Boston.

Reactions: bme44

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad