Rumor: Mike Reilly hoping to be traded

CellyHard

May 27, 2012
Massachusetts
Mike Reilly has been waived twice now, both times clearing. He was not in the AHL lineup last night and is expected to not be in the lineup tomorrow. Mark Divver of the New England Hockey Journal reported that he is hoping for a trade via twitter.

No teams want him for free, so what sweetener would you be looking for from the Bruins to take Reilly?

For what it is worth, Reilly is still an NHL caliber defenseman, probably best on your third pair but can move the puck well.

Reactions: jsol

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
It's the contract. He's simply not a $3 million a year player. Never was. Never will be. He's a 6-7. Skates well, makes a decent pass, but under pressure makes a lot of bad decisions. If the Bruins are prepared to eat 50% of the remaining amount due, they might find a taker.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Best option is probably to bury him.

I'd be ok with Buffalo taking him with a 2nd on top.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I would be interested if BOS retained 50%.

3M in cap for this year (especially so early in the season when teams haven’t had time to accrue cap space) and 3M in cap next season is a committment not many teams can or want to make right now.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
I’ve said this many times on the Bruins board, but what I find amazing is watching the way Reilly plays hockey and considering how his trajectory as a player was as a defenseman.

He’s pretty bad at everything to do with defense along with making plays in his own end under pressure. But his skating and vision are both very good. I’m surprised he didn’t work his way up during younger ages as a center.

I guess I can’t criticize too much because he did make the NHL as a defenseman, but 3 million/year for his skill set is and was always too much.

Yeti34

Apr 13, 2013
Tampa
I’d prefer to get rid of Craig Smith if possible. Reilly is still serviceable and had some games he looked really good. It’s also nice to have extra depth come playoffs on defense

Nucker42

Nov 27, 2011
Mike Reilly has been waived twice now, both times clearing. He was not in the AHL lineup last night and is expected to not be in the lineup tomorrow. Mark Divver of the New England Hockey Journal reported that he is hoping for a trade via twitter.

No teams want him for free, so what sweetener would you be looking for from the Bruins to take Reilly?

For what it is worth, Reilly is still an NHL caliber defenseman, probably best on your third pair but can move the puck well.
Reilly and 4th for Pearson?

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
So is he refusing to play in the AHL or are they just choosing not to play him?

I’ve never understood how someone on a full NHL salary paid to play hockey for a living could be so against playing hockey a tier below. It’s not like Reilly hasn’t spent his fair share of time in the A. And he already knows that NHL teams don’t want to take him and his salary for free…

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
If im boston i think its better to just bury him for the year and try to trade him next vs adding sweeteners to dump him today.

Reactions: kthx

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
There are so few teams who can take on his salary in full. I'm sure one likely will if they get the bump they want from the Bruins but cap and more importantly salary expenditures are not easy to come by right now.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
I would be interested if BOS retained 50%.

3M in cap for this year (especially so early in the season when teams haven’t had time to accrue cap space) and 3M in cap next season is a committment not many teams can or want to make right now.
BOS can't retain. They are going to be carrying bonus overages for Bergeron and Krejci, plus new contracts that need to be negotiated. $$ will be even more of a premium next year, so they can't afford to retain. They'll have to make the sweetener be enticing enough for teams that can fit the $3m.

Reilly and 4th for Pearson?
How does that save cap?

The Andrew Peeke Fan

Feb 26, 2020
He is fun to watch and offense tends to happen when he's out there. Sucks he's making 3M, though. I really like him.

An AHL middle 6er that can throw some hands would be cool.

Reactions: Colt.45Orr

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Ducks and Bruins are recent dance partners. I could see Anaheim taking on both of Boston's buried contracts (Rielly and Wagner) if the right incentives were involved.

John Moore (LTIR) 2.75M final year

for

Mike Rielly 3M one year remaining
Chris Wagner 1.35M final year
2nd round pick
4th round pick

I'd then see Anaheim buying Rielly out this summer at a cost of 1.33M x 2

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad