Player Discussion Mike Reilly (D) acquired from the Montreal Canadiens

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Mike Reilly is here to help and that’s it. With the inevitable callups of Batherson, Norris, Balcers the Bingo team will need an injection of talent from Brannstrom and this allows Ottawa to do that with Reilly coming in.

reilly isn’t a Claude Julien guy so that’s makes me think he’s not a solid Dman, but a 5th isn’t worth worrying about.

if Ottawa nails their 2 x 1st round picks and the 3 x 2nd round picks this year - the 5th isn’t meaningless but no one will notice.

we haven’t even talked about Bowen Byron anywhere here, and he was taken #4 last year. So the 5th in 2021 is nothing to worry about

Mark Stones Spleen

Jan 17, 2008
T.O.
Well thank God we have two 6th round picks this season and both of our 6th round picks for 2021 and 2022. Wait, what was your point again?

Here is an idea, how about we "raise" our asking price for Pageau from a 1st round pick and prospect to something like 3-4 fifth round picks?? Maybe we can squeeze out two 5th rounders for Boro or Hainsey at the deadline too?
I feel like we should just trade our third round picks straight up 1:1 for a 5th rounder.

We don't draft well in the 3rd anyway, with the real exception being Chris Kelly.

slamigo

Skate or Die!
Dec 25, 2007
Ottawa
One of DeMelo or Boro or Hainsey is almost certainly gone at the TDL. Rielly is a 5-6 Dman signed for this year and next. I'm sure the Sens will get that 5th round pick back at the TDL from dealing one of the UFAs.

Reactions: NB613

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Who is saying the opposite though, that draft picks do not have value? I could argue all day that a 7th round pick has tremendous value, but it would make absolutely no sense to defend that position without the basis of context. The context for our current situation as follows:

For this draft and next year, we have three 1st rounders and six second round picks. Name one other team in the league that comes close to that? We also have two 6th round picks and plenty of time to add 4th and 5th for next season.

This conversation literally becomes redundant the moment Dorion makes another insignificant trade where we ship out an wanted player for a 4th or 5th round pick, I mean honestly.
"I already have two 10-dollar bills in my pocket, why would I need another one?"

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
I can see outrage if Dorion moved a first or second or even a third round pick.

But a fifth....value-wise, they are pennies in your pocket. And let's be honest, with the recent trend on picking no-names on 20-year-olds play in obscure leagues and bottom tier US high school leagues over the last few years, most of those late round picks are throwaways for us anyways.

And yes, Dorion screwed up at the beginning of the year by assuming so many young kids could simultaneously start in the NHL on the blueline. But, that mistake needs to be fixed, and it is. Lord knows we'll be spending more picks in the future to fix more of his mistakes. It is what it is when you go bargain bin hunting for NHL management.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
When you are getting something more valuable than a 5 th round pick the pick doesn’t matter.

When you can recoup that pick at next years TDL by moving that player that pick doesn’t matter.

when you have too many prospects and picks in the next 2 drafts you could conceivably fill up your reserve list the pick doesn’t matter.

I doubt that the Senators will get a pick for Reilly.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria

But a fifth....value-wise, they are pennies in your pocket. And let's be honest, with the recent trend on picking no-names on 20-year-olds play in obscure leagues and bottom tier US high school leagues over the last few years, most of those late round picks are throwaways for us anyways.

And yes, Dorion screwed up at the beginning of the year by assuming so many young kids could simultaneously start in the NHL on the blueline. But, that mistake needs to be fixed, and it is. Lord knows we'll be spending more picks in the future to fix more of his mistakes. It is what it is when you go bargain bin hunting for NHL management.

You crack me up.

We started the season with exactly one kid on defence, and even then Branstrom was up by default because Wolanin got injured to start the season. Not exactly a situation that should have been pre planned for.

At least get your information straight..... Geezus

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Feels similar to acquiring Demelo. A good chance we like this trade a little more this time next year. The kid makes $1.5 and wil protect us if Demelo, Brann, Jaros, Borocop get moved.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

they did move out a third rounder.. and the people that complained got the "WHY ARE YOU MADE WE HAD OTHER PICKS THAT THIRD ROUNDER IS MANINGLESS

Larionov

Feb 9, 2005
Ottawa, ON
"I already have two 10-dollar bills in my pocket, why would I need another one?"

Because you need to spend that $10 on lunch. Otherwise, you'll be walking around hungry all afternoon. Reilly is lunch - we needed a depth defenceman, and we got one at a pretty reasonable price. ($10 is about what takeout lunch costs these days.)

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau

Draft picks can be used as currency. They can help a GM move up in a draft. Reilly was about to go on waivers, but since Dorion mismanaged the contract limits, the Sens were forced to give up a draft pick in order to save the roster spot. Who cares where the pick is, the point is that instead of giving up nothing and claiming the player a day later, Dorion gave up a draft pick. It's bad asset management no matter how you cut it. A pick for Names, a pick for Reilly, give up a pick in the Zaitsev trade. These things add up.

If you want to use draft picks on trades, use them as sweeteners in deals for useful players, not for depth and spare parts.

Reactions: lancepitlick

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Draft picks can be used as currency. They can help a GM move up in a draft. Reilly was about to go on waivers, but since Dorion mismanaged the contract limits, the Sens were forced to give up a draft pick in order to save the roster spot. Who cares where the pick is, the point is that instead of giving up nothing and claiming the player a day later, Dorion gave up a draft pick. It's bad asset management no matter how you cut it. A pick for Names, a pick for Reilly, give up a pick in the Zaitsev trade. These things add up.

If you want to use draft picks on trades, use them as sweeteners in deals for useful players, not for depth and spare parts.

Yes, but a fifth round pick is a tiny piece of currency. I'm not going to lose sleep over tossing a fifth rounder for a warm body.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Yes, but a fifth round pick is a tiny piece of currency. I'm not going to lose sleep over tossing a fifth rounder for a warm body.
Agree with you that it is a tiny piece, however, tiny pieces here and there add up.

This has nothing to do with the player they acquired, as I think they absolutely needed a warm body on defence. I am actually excited to see what he has to offer.

Last edited:
Reactions: lancepitlick

lancepitlick

Nov 20, 2016
It seems weird to me that people are fine with shipping out picks when the Sens are a rebuilding budget team. If anyone needs draft picks, it should be this team. It is also weird when a number of our recent best players have been later round picks: Pageau, Duclair, Hoffman, Dzingel and Stone.

The more picks you have the more likely you are to get a Hoffman, Stone, Zach Smith, Lubomir Visnovsky etc. The more likely it is you'll get them for cheap, compared to a Zaitsev/Namestnikov, who have already burned through their entry level deals. Cheap players = more money to sign other players.

Can't see how you can't blame Dorion, one way or another, for being in a position where he is trading picks for roster players multiple times in a season where the team is tanking. Unless the guys are prospects, which they aren't, it doesn't make sense. It's poor management. Even if it makes sense as a solution to a current problem, it is still a problem created by Dorion.

Also, the team is competing for last place. That should be the main goal. If you have to play Ron Hainsey 30 minutes then go ahead. If you have to replace Boro/Demelo with bums for 20 games post TDL, then that's fine too.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
Because you need to spend that $10 on lunch. Otherwise, you'll be walking around hungry all afternoon. Reilly is lunch - we needed a depth defenceman, and we got one at a pretty reasonable price. ($10 is about what takeout lunch costs these days.)

not mine. I try $5 or less, eating smaller quantities and no pop.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
Because of the junk food I ate needlessly I ended up not having room for all the food that was available for free, so now I need to spend that $10.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad