Player Discussion Mike Reilly (D) acquired from the Montreal Canadiens

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Good asset management trade here, allows Brannstrom to play a prominent role to push the BSens into the post-season, while the team should inevitably trade some defensive bodies such as Hainsey and maybe even Boro or DeMelo (who shouldn't cost much to re-sign, good value as a mid-bottom pairing defenceman with PK1 abilities). Those trades will fetch more than the 5th that was traded to shore up the NHL backend by adding Reilly to the mix for this year and next.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
From the hockey news:

In 10 games, offensive defenceman Mike Reilly has four assists, but the glaring statistic is his plus-minus rating of minus-11. At that rate, if Reilly played in all 82 games, he would be on pace to set the new standard for the worst plus-minus record ever. Bill Mikkelson of the 1974-75 Washington Capitals, widely considered the worst team in NHL history, finished the season with a record low rating of minus-82.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I wish he would just go away. Wolanin can't come back soon enough

Literally can’t wait. Brannstrom has been excellent in his play. That will allow Wolanin to not be looked on as the second best puck mover in the lineup anymore and he can ease his own game in the bottom pair. Zub has been a revelation too so Wolanin won’t have try and do everything himself like he tried to before.

Reactions: DJB and Icelevel

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
His last game was a bit better.

He's ok going forward with the puck, and making plays inside the offensive zone, but my god his defensive pivots are hard to watch and he falls down constantly.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
From the hockey news:

In 10 games, offensive defenceman Mike Reilly has four assists, but the glaring statistic is his plus-minus rating of minus-11. At that rate, if Reilly played in all 82 games, he would be on pace to set the new standard for the worst plus-minus record ever. Bill Mikkelson of the 1974-75 Washington Capitals, widely considered the worst team in NHL history, finished the season with a record low rating of minus-82.

I actually checked this out, and what's more astonishing is that Quinn Hughes is -12 with 16 points on the season.

Reactions: Xspyrit

2CHAINZ

Feb 27, 2008
aUCiRQK.jpg

Seriously with Reilly less is more. With Brannstrom here Reilly isn't forced into paying so much and he looks better not being forced into playing so many minutes in so many situations.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
I don't think I've seen a player as bipolar as this guy.

Half of his games this season have been an utter disaster, and the other half, he looks like a solid top-4 where he shuts down McDavid and has a fantastic assist.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I don't think I've seen a player as bipolar as this guy.

Half of his games this season have been an utter disaster, and the other half, he looks like a solid top-4 where he shuts down McDavid and has a fantastic assist.

He looked pretty good his last half games - what ever DJ is doing with him is working well.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
He looked pretty good his last half games - what ever DJ is doing with him is working well.

He looked good in the first couple of games too. Then dreadful on the road trip. Then good again.

Either he's bad on the road. Or he struggles when he can't trust the goaltending. Or he's just straight up inconsistent.

If he can keep playing like he did last night, he can have a future on the team.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
He was a completely different player against the Oilers on Tuesday (in a good way). He made great defensive plays, he made an awesome pass to find Dadonov on his breakaway goal, he helped limit Draisaitl and McDavid to zero points all game.

I still do not love the player, but at least he is proving that he can be a decent player and not a constant liability every game. Hopefully he is worth something at the trade deadline.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
He looked good in the first couple of games too. Then dreadful on the road trip. Then good again.

Either he's bad on the road. Or he struggles when he can't trust the goaltending. Or he's just straight up inconsistent.

If he can keep playing like he did last night, he can have a future on the team.

That's the answer. He was exactly like that in Montreal too. Top-4 level to AHL level from one game to another

Reactions: Stuzchuk

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
He’s a waiver wire fill in. Nothing more, nothing less.

When he leaves here his career will be in the AHL with cups of coffee filling in when there’s injuries.

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata

He’s one of those guys, like Weircioch was, where advanced stats just can’t tell the whole picture. Reilly can be a pretty efficient dman but his mistakes are also so bad that it’s not worth it. He’s definitely been better lately but his decision and last minute fumbles are brutal.

Edit: not necessarily a comment on his recent performances, but my view of him as a whole.

Sensmileletsgo

Oct 22, 2018
He’s one of those guys, like Weircioch was, where advanced stats just can’t tell the whole picture. Reilly can be a pretty efficient dman but his mistakes are also so bad that it’s not worth it. He’s definitely been better lately but his decision and last minute fumbles are brutal.

Edit: not necessarily a comment on his recent performances, but my view of him as a whole.
That’s what I see as well. Look at Thorton’s goal tonight. Zero pressure on Reilly and he passes it right into Mathews skates for a turnover at our blueline. He regularly makes these type of turnovers that turn into the puck being in the back of our net.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
He's playing great. Should actually be a solid guy to shop at the deadline for a team in need depth on defense.

The Reilly-Zub pairing has crazy fancy stats.

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
He's playing great. Should actually be a solid guy to shop at the deadline for a team in need depth on defense.

The Reilly-Zub pairing has crazy fancy stats.
Great may be an overstatement... he's been much better though and can provide an element that we really lack, especially with Brannstrom out and Wolanin being ineffective.

All in all, probably one of our better trades in terms of paying close to the bare minimum for a type of player who can do the bare minimum in an area that we really needed help. I think we should be able to get a late pick for him, maybe not fully recouping what we gave up but close.

That’s what I see as well. Look at Thorton’s goal tonight. Zero pressure on Reilly and he passes it right into Mathews skates for a turnover at our blueline. He regularly makes these type of turnovers that turn into the puck being in the back of our net.

Hes definitely a guy who will consistently underperform expected goals against for that very reason. His mistakes are glaring. That said, he has had bad puck luck on top of that fact.

Reactions: Sensmileletsgo

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
I never thought I'd rather have Reilly in the lineup over Wolanin, but here we are.

I wonder if this is the first time Reilly has had a real decently long stretch to work his game out before being scratched? Def could/should return an OK pick at the deadline.

Reactions: DrEasy and Icelevel

The Devilish Buffoon

🇵🇸 viva 🇵🇸 free 🇵🇸
Dec 24, 2018
I never thought I'd rather have Reilly in the lineup over Wolanin, but here we are.

I wonder if this is the first time Reilly has had a real decently long stretch to work his game out before being scratched? Def could/should return an OK pick at the deadline.

He played basically every night with us last year, no? He played some long stretches in MTL the year before, too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad