Player Discussion Mike Reilly (D) acquired from the Montreal Canadiens

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
As long as its not a stupid extension (more then 2 years and/or more than 3 million) I would be fine with it i guess.

Was really hoping we would actually try and improve our defense...

Reactions: Cosmix

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Take the super late pick, Mike Reillys aren’t hard to find, sign or acquire.
No no no we’ve been down this road before. A d man is playing well for us. Keep him. Within reason obviously. Good d man very clearly are not easy to find.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
No no no we’ve been down this road before. A d man is playing well for us. Keep him. Within reason obviously. Good d man very clearly are not easy to find.
He's played his way into the conversation for an extention, I'm not a fan but credit where it's due he's been playing better than our other options so might as well hold onto him unless we get a good offer or he has no interest in sticking around.

There is the alternative option of looking to upgrade, I'd love to replace him with a guy like Ekholm, don't see it happening but that would be pretty sweet.

Reactions: Ice-Tray and Cosmix

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I want absolutely no part of a Reilly extension. Sorry. He has good moments here and there but he's an easily replaceable player. A 2-3 year extension would look bad and just take time away from Brann / Sanderson.

If he's easily replaceable, Brannstrom should be the ine taking away from him...

Ideally hes a bottom pair guy, if we can sign him to a deal that reflects that, I'm fine with it.

Reactions: DrEasy and Cosmix

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
I want absolutely no part of a Reilly extension. Sorry. He has good moments here and there but he's an easily replaceable player. A 2-3 year extension would look bad and just take time away from Brann / Sanderson.

The issue is our pro scouts are so terrible that he isnt easily replaced. At least history suggests he's not.

Says more about our scouts than it does Reilly tho to be fair.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
For this team its seems to be hard to find decent NHL blueliners so idk lol

The issue is our pro scouts are so terrible that he isnt easily replaced. At least history suggests he's not.

Says more about our scouts than it does Reilly tho to be fair.

Guy, let’s be real here the Sens added him for a 5th last season and he doesn’t seem to have increased his value despite top 4 ice time and PP deployment.

This isn’t an irreplaceable guy or even hard to find/acquire player.

The evidence is that even with their brutal pro scouting the Sens acquired him last season for a 5th. Would it really make that much difference in the Sens results if you unloaded him and picked up Sbisa, Holden, Harrington, Carrick, Wolanin (I know), Tennyson on waivers? We’re taking about a bottom pair guy vs #7 guys.

Last edited:
Reactions: aragorn

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
Guy, let’s be real here the Sens added him for a 5th last season and he doesn’t seem to have increased his value despite top 4 ice time and PP deployment.

The evidence is that even with their brutal pro scouting the Sens acquired him last season for a 5th.

All im saying is he's one of the few guys over the last 2 years who looks like an NHL dman. He should be replaceable, I agree.

Reactions: Bileur

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013

The evidence is that even with their brutal pro scouting the Sens acquired him last season for a 5th. Would it really make that much difference in the Sens results if you unloaded him and picked up Sbisa, Holden, Harrington, Carrick, Wolanin (I know), Tennyson on waivers? We’re taking about a bottom pair guy vs #7 guys.
No one is saying give him 7 million over 3 years. If he wants to stay at reasonable money and term. Keep him. He’s playing well.

Us losing a d man playing solidly and replacing him with Sbisa is EXACTLY why I say “keep the dudes playing well for you if they’re contract demands are reasonable.”

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
No one is saying give him 7 million over 3 years. If he wants to stay at reasonable money and term. Keep him. He’s playing well.

Us losing a d man playing solidly and replacing him with Sbisa is EXACTLY why I say “keep the dudes playing well for you if they’re contract demands are reasonable.”

Fair enough, you seem to think there would be a drop off, I don’t think there would be a significant drop off between Reilly and most of those guys.

He’s playing fine, but IMO a lot of guys can do what he does given the opportunity.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
It's not easy to find a mid-20's defenseman that can contribute at EV, PK and PP the way Reilly has. Garrioch is correct when he says that if he's traded, the Sens are immediately looking for somebody just like him to fill that role.

We don't have any LD prospects that are close to pushing him out of the NHL, and we aren't a destination for UFA's. Even if we were players on the free agent market, a decent argument can be made that Reilly is among the 3 or 4 best LD UFA's anyway.

Keep him the fold. 2 years, 2.5M per.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
We're rebuilding. Trade everybody for futures and chips we can play at the draft. Pray. Hit up the waiver wires and UFAs for stop-gap replacements. Don't trade good assets for them like we did this year.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Say NO to a Michael Reilly extension. I can't believe what I'm reading. That one game in Vancouver was enough for me to never want to watch him on the Senators ever again.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
All im saying is he's one of the few guys over the last 2 years who looks like an NHL dman. He should be replaceable, I agree.

if he is so replaceable, why does our GM not do so? Our GM has traded for J. Brown, Gudbranson, Coburn. That says a lot about our GM.

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
if he is so replaceable, why does our GM not do so? Our GM has traded for J. Brown, Gudbranson, Coburn. That says a lot about our GM.

Thats my point lol. He should be replaceable, but im not convinced we have the GM and scouts to pull it off.

Replacing a Mike Reilly should be one of the easier things a GM has on his plate.

Reactions: TheNewEra

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Thats my point lol. He should be replaceable, but im not convinced we have the GM and scouts to pull it off.

Replacing a Mike Reilly should be one of the easier things a GM has on his plate.
It depends on your view of Reilly. To me he looks easily replaceable but the coach seems to like him paired with Zub. What does the analytics community have to say about Reilly.

Reactions: cudi

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Say NO to a Michael Reilly extension. I can't believe what I'm reading. That one game in Vancouver was enough for me to never want to watch him on the Senators ever again.

I agree to a point but do you really trust dorion/our pro scouts to replace him with an upgrade

its a sad thing but i dont

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
It depends on your view of Reilly. To me he looks easily replaceable but the coach seems to like him paired with Zub. What does the analytics community have to say about Reilly.

Personally I dont care if they keep him or trade him. He doesn't move the needle much. He's played better than I thought he could tho I'll give him that.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I wouldn't be opposed to re-signing Reilly for 1YR if I knew that DJ wouldn't play him over Brannstrom, but since it's been made clear he thinks Reilly is far better re-signing him will result in Brannstrom's development being stunted by playing limited minutes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad