Player Discussion Mike Reilly (D) acquired from the Montreal Canadiens

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
What does that say about Brannstrom if he can't beat out Reilly who most agree is a bottom pair D at best? If they can get anything for Reilly trade him, my guess is he will probably be available over the summer anyway, who would sign him for an entire season next yr besides Ottawa anyway? And if he's not available there should be a dozen defencemen equally as good or bad.

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Ship him out at the deadline. I’ve really enjoyed how he’s played this year but you need to give Brannstrom his spot.
I’m all for “earn your spot” but with the politics around the Stone trade, you need Brannstrom to work out.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Buy low sell high. He’s been very passable this season should be able to get at least a 3rd for him maybe a 2nd if we’re lucky. Playoff teams will be lining up to stock up their dmen. Reilly more than fits the bill for a team looking for a bottom pair D that can move up in case of injuries

Reactions: aragorn and robsenz

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Buy low sell high. He’s been very passable this season should be able to get at least a 3rd for him maybe a 2nd if we’re lucky. Playoff teams will be lining up to stock up their dmen. Reilly more than fits the bill for a team looking for a bottom pair D that can move up in case of injuries
I would eat all 3 of those hats if we could get a 2nd for Reilly.

If we can get that return and decide to keep him then I would shit those hats out whole.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Sell absolutely high.

Whether we re-sign him, or whether we sign an equal or worse replacement, we will still finish bottom 5 next year so might as well pickup a free pick while you're at it.

Thought of re-signing this guy makes me shudder. Wouldn't mind him on bottom pair but absolutely nothing higher.

Reactions: Bileur and branch

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Sell absolutely high.

Whether we re-sign him, or whether we sign an equal or worse replacement, we will still finish bottom 5 next year so might as well pickup a free pick while you're at it.

Thought of re-signing this guy makes me shudder. Wouldn't mind him on bottom pair but absolutely nothing higher.
The goal next year should be the playoffs. No way this team will finish bottom 5 next year. We might not even finish bottom 5 this year the way it’s going

WaitingInVain

Jul 5, 2012
Sell absolutely high.

And that's the kicker.

Fourth line forwards and third pairing defenceman spots should be easy enough to fill year-to-year.

In a year where the team isn't contending, Reilly is exactly the type of player you have to move for draft capital.

Reactions: ReginKarlssonLehner

alfstheman

Jul 2, 2009
The goal next year should be the playoffs. No way this team will finish bottom 5 next year. We might not even finish bottom 5 this year the way it’s going
I'm sorry but chances of making playoffs next year are slim to none.

imo we have 2 nhl playoff quality defenseman in chabot and zub. And chabot needs less time on ice to be effective. We are bottom 5 till sanderson gets here

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
I'm sorry but chances of making playoffs next year are slim to none.

imo we have 2 nhl playoff quality defenseman in chabot and zub. And chabot needs less time on ice to be effective. We are bottom 5 till sanderson gets here
Nah, this team will be way better than that as long as our goaltending is fine. The goal should be playoffs. The time of being in the basement is over

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
What does that say about Brannstrom if he can't beat out Reilly who most agree is a bottom pair D at best? If they can get anything for Reilly trade him, my guess is he will probably be available over the summer anyway, who would sign him for an entire season next yr besides Ottawa anyway? And if he's not available there should be a dozen defencemen equally as good or bad.

It simply means that the coach is either incompetent or is not a fan of Brannstrom for some reason (attitude, chemistry)...
From what we've seen Brannstrom is not worse than Coburn, Gudbranson, Reilley, Brown or Zaitsev..

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Nah, this team will be way better than that as long as our goaltending is fine. The goal should be playoffs. The time of being in the basement is over

If only we could will it to be so.

We should certainly have better talent with the influx of a couple (or more) youngsters but they are still youngsters and it wouldn't be fair to expect them to launch us in to playoff consideration by next year.

Goaltending can't be any worse so should get a few more wins by having just average goaltending but overall the team will still struggle with consistency and ultimately we finish bottom 1/3 in league again IMO.

BUT then we get lucky, win the lottery and #1 pick and grab a superstar to launch us in to F(ifteen)YOUS

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
It simply means that the coach is either incompetent or is not a fan of Brannstrom for some reason (attitude, chemistry)...
From what we've seen Brannstrom is not worse than Coburn, Gudbranson, Reilley, Brown or Zaitsev..
Four of those guys are 6th defencemen & some call Zaitsev a 5th or 6th defencemen, you are comparing Brannstrom who was suppose to be a top 4 at the least to 3rd pairing defencemen. That is not the coaches fault, that is the fault of the player, good players force coaches to play them.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
I'm glad he's been getting some pp time lately. Should help inflate his trade value hopefully.

C'mon 3rd round pick lol

Reactions: Matsens15

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
And that's the kicker.

Fourth line forwards and third pairing defenceman spots should be easy enough to fill year-to-year.

In a year where the team isn't contending, Reilly is exactly the type of player you have to move for draft capital.

You would think that, but in the end that logic forces Chabot to play 30 minutes a game and draw the ire of fans . Why not keep him in the mix before he is Demelo'd out of town?

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
And that's the kicker.

Its funny how that argument moves around and the wide range (divergence) of opinions on this subject.

Some here have stated that no free agents are willing to sign here. And yet, FA have signed here. Interesting subject.

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
His on-ice impact is easily worth a 2nd round pick, but if often takes a long time for the perception of a player to match the reality. I doubt a team would give up more than a 4th to acquire him.

Gotta keep him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad