Value of: Mike Matheson

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Exactly. Habs fans simply won't allow this obvious truth to enter their brains.

Their brains have a singular focus. Give us a 1st round pick.
Hmmm...

Habs fans 1
McJedi 0

Obvious truth is easy to miss when one operates with thick blinders.

Matheson won't get a 1st this year, BC Hughes wouldn't trade him for that little :teach:

• Haha
Reactions: McJedi

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
Matheson's playing too much. He's put in a role above his head.

It affects his effectiveness.

But in the proper deployment, he'd be an excellent #3-4.

Give him less playing time, with less responsibilities and he'd be a serviceable defenseman. He skates like the wind, have a good size and can absorb 21-22 good minutes.

He'd worth easily a late 1st + b prospect.

But TD isn't the time when this kind of player (contract) is traded.

Summer would be more appropriate, but not the next one. Later, maybe...

ElPrimeTime

Dec 23, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Barrie (along with a 1st) was traded for Ekholm.
So a PMD will always have value especially when his contract is cheap.

I guess that's part of the point of some of the posts here. A playoff team, will value an Ekholm type player over an offensive, PMD with defensive warts all day. It was Barrie, a 1st, a 4th, Reid Schafer (former 1st round pick) for Ekholm and a 6th. Barrie was not netting a 1st round pick himself and I don't believe his value in this trade was equivalent to a 1st.

Now, I'm not comparing Barrie to Matheson, because I haven't watched Matheson enough. But your statement of a "60 point d-man even if he was the worst defensively" being worth a 1st+ is factually wrong since the Preds have been trying to trade Barrie for most of the year. If any team offered the Preds a 1st, he would be long gone by now.

Reactions: Big Daddy Cane

Eegs

Jan 9, 2018
BC
There is a big difference between Barrie and Matheson at this point in their careers. One is still in their prime, the other has dropped off significantly over the past couple years.

4-5 years ago, there's a really good chance that Barrie would have gotten a 1st at the TDL.

I'm not sure why these 2 players are being compared other than that they both profile(d) as an Offensive Defenseman.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
dude Barrie started to fall off when he was 27 and got traded from Colorado, also Barrie has averaged like 65% ozone starts throughout his career, he's been playing easy minutes throughout his career

his coaches never put him in tough situations (PK etc), there's a reason for that, completely different than Matheson

Mathson:
Untitled.png

Barrie:
Untitsadled.png

Last edited:
Reactions: Andrei79

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
I guess that's part of the point of some of the posts here. A playoff team, will value an Ekholm type player over an offensive, PMD with defensive warts all day. It was Barrie, a 1st, a 4th, Reid Schafer (former 1st round pick) for Ekholm and a 6th. Barrie was not netting a 1st round pick himself and I don't believe his value in this trade was equivalent to a 1st.

Now, I'm not comparing Barrie to Matheson, because I haven't watched Matheson enough. But your statement of a "60 point d-man even if he was the worst defensively" being worth a 1st+ is factually wrong since the Preds have been trying to trade Barrie for most of the year. If any team offered the Preds a 1st, he would be long gone by now.
Barrie was the most valuable piece in the Ekholm trade. Shafer was a 1st round pick technically but would have been a 2nd rounder pre Kraken days. Also a team trading a prospect could be a red flag the kid is not developing properly.
The 1st rounder is a late one. Those are overvalued around here. Not a high chance the pick becomes an NHLer. So basically Barrie was the most important piece in the trade.

If I remembered his cap hit was 5.5M vs 4.5M for Matheson

ElPrimeTime

Dec 23, 2014
Edmonton, AB
Barrie was the most valuable piece in the Ekholm trade. Shafer was a 1st round pick technically but would have been a 2nd rounder pre Kraken days. Also a team trading a prospect could be a red flag the kid is not developing properly.
The 1st rounder is a late one. Those are overvalued around here. Not a high chance the pick becomes an NHLer. So basically Barrie was the most important piece in the trade.

If I remembered his cap hit was 5.5M vs 4.5M for Matheson

Barrie was also $4.5M. I don't believe Barrie was the most valuable piece from Nashville's perspective, but used to balance out contracts.

But regardless of that trade, my point still remains that 60 point offensive d-men, who struggle in their defensive zone are not guaranteed to net 1st round picks + or else Nashville would have one and Barrie would be somewhere else.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad