Value of: Mike Matheson

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Drouin stuff is lie. No fans of Montréal ever said that, ever.

Anderson was never on the market

You were proven wrong this year about Monahan

Price would have bring in a f***ing pirate for sure, had he been healthy, and more than likely, your own team would have been after him. You know it, I know it.

Tatar was benched during the 2021 playoffs, nobody was expecting anything. Again, this is a lie

Domi was traded for Anderson who at the time, was seen as a potential great Power forwar. It was a roll of dice

Point taken on Petry

We f***ed Up on Petry and arguably on Anderson, the rest is kind of bullshit man
There have been many more.

I remember Tatar for Girard or Byram and a 2nd.. LOL.

You guys missed badly on Domi's value. Badly on Petry's value and Petry is by far the best proxity for this situation. An offensively gifted defender with a long term contract. Petry put up some impressive point totals a few years ago. And Habs had to give him away. Defenders that can't defend don't have big value to playoff contenders.

Your GM would dump Anderson in a heartbeat for nothing more than "future considerations". He'd do the same for Armia and Gallagher. Another guy that was perceived to have big value by the Habs a few years ago.

I was adamant Monahan would fetch nothing last season because of his injuries last season and I was proven right. He fetched nothing and went into UFA where he resigned. He could have also signed with Peg if he wanted. He was much healthier this season and I had no such comments on his value given he was "available" and my argument his health was an issue was dulled by his presence on the roster most nights. So you're wrong there.

Matheson doesn't have anywhere close to the value you think he does. Mainly because very few teams in the playoff race need a guy like him. Would you ever want Matheson on the ice in overtime of a playoff game? Those turnovers, those defensive lapses in judgement. Nearly every playoff team has a much better defense than Montreal. Have much better overall players than Matheson.

You think Dallas needs him? Nope. Detroit? Nope. Vegas? Nope... Florida? Nope. Peg? Nope. Vancouver? Nope. Rangers? Nope. Boston? Nope.

Who is the team that needs Matheson? The few I can think of aren't playoff teams. And what is their urgency?

Tampa may be the only one I can think of but they can't accommodate his term.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022

You guys missed badly on Domi's value. Badly on Petry's value and Petry is by far the best proxity for this situation. An offensively gifted defender with a long term contract. Petry put up some impressive point totals a few years ago. And Habs had to give him away. Defenders that can't defend don't have big value to playoff contenders.

Your GM would dump Anderson in a heartbeat for nothing more than "future considerations". He'd do the same for Armia and Gallagher. Another guy that was perceived to have big value by the Habs a few years ago.

I was adamant Monahan would fetch nothing last season because of his injuries last season and I was proven right. He fetched nothing and went into UFA where he resigned. He could have also signed with Peg if he wanted. He was much healthier this season and I had no such comments on his value given he was "available" and my argument his health was an issue was dulled by his presence on the roster most nights. So you're wrong there.

Matheson doesn't have anywhere close to the value you think he does. Mainly because very few teams in the playoff race need a guy like him. Would you ever want Matheson on the ice in overtime of a playoff game? Those turnovers, those defensive lapses in judgement. Nearly every playoff team has a much better defense than Montreal. Have much better overall players than Matheson.

You think Dallas needs him? Nope. Detroit? Nope. Vegas? Nope... Florida? Nope. Peg? Nope. Vancouver? Nope. Rangers? Nope. Boston? Nope.

Who is the team that needs Matheson? The few I can think of aren't playoff teams. And what is their urgency?

Wow you wrote a book and said absolutely NOTHING. You must be Elliot Friedman

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Wow you wrote a book and said absolutely NOTHING. You must be Elliot Friedman
All you guys will allow yourselves to hear is that Matheson is very valuable and he'll return a fortune in trade. With literally no idea which team would want him or a reason why they'd part with a fortune to land this guy.

So you must be typical intransigent Habs fans.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014

Petry is a big miss from us

Anderson, until last year, would have gone for a lot. Now we know better, but that's because we live in the future

Tatar, we knew during the 2021 playoffs that he wasn't going to get shit after His no show. Nobody asked anything for him after that

Do you know Who maybe could use Matheson?
You guys.
You are one injury away to go from "no elite defensemen but still Solid overall" d-corps to a catastrophe

What if Ekholm or Nurse goes down with an injury?
Kulak is a solid defenseman, and I'm a fan of his, but would you go in the playoffs with Kulak as your LHD number 2? This is a laughable Idea.

Teams will try to fetch Hanifin and Tanev, but if you can't get them, Matheson is a solid 3rd option, and yes, he blows Kulak out of the water for sure

Matheson, ideally, is a second pair guy Who can Play on first parking, while Kulak is a solid 3rd pairing that can Play on the second

Same logic applies to a bunch of Team you named btw

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Petry is a big miss from us
I'm not sure how Petry is a big miss. We got Matheson out of it and of course, we weren't trading him while we were making the playoffs. His disastrous year afterward that nobody saw coming and the trade request absolutely affected his value. I don't know why you're bothering to respond to that poster, they post that exact same thing every week while disregarding the injury issues that came up for most of those players along with the fact that we never intended to trade the rest at the time. They are annoyed that Habs fans have been far more right than many people here consistently.

Reactions: viceroy

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
All you guys will allow yourselves to hear is that Matheson is very valuable and he'll return a fortune in trade. With literally no idea which team would want him or a reason why they'd part with a fortune to land this guy.

So what was your take on Monahan's value before he was traded?? i can't remember. Can you refresh my memory please?. Thx.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
I'm not sure how Petry is a big miss. We got Matheson out of it and of course, we weren't trading him while we were making the playoffs. His disastrous year afterward that nobody saw coming and the trade request absolutely affected his value. I don't know why you're bothering to respond to that poster, they post that exact same thing every week while disregarding the injury issues that came up for most of those players along with the fact that we never intended to trade the rest at the time. They are annoyed that Habs fans have been far more right than many people here consistently.

The prediction that we would get the moon for Petry was a miss

Reactions: Weltschmerz

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018

Why is it that when Habs fans see what they perceive to be success, they’re likeminded so they can all be right and high five each other? “We were right about Chiarot!” 🎉

But when it comes to the failures, they’re always quick to tell others they don’t share the same brain?

Not saying it’s only the case with Habs fans. But it’s been quite evident recently.

Essenege

Oct 5, 2019
Again... please explain which bad defensive defenders have been moved for excellent compensation since covid.

I can show you several bad offensive Dman that have. Chiarot and Savard are two of them. Guys Habs fans know.

But guys like Petry... given away. Matheson is much more Petry than Josh Manson.

You told use Petry would return a 1st. He didn't get anything.
You told us Domi would fetch a top 10 pick. He was given away + 3rd rounder for Josh Anderson (ouch).
You told us Tatar was worth a haul. He wasn't
You told us Drouin was worth something. He wasn't.
You told us Price has huge value. He didn't.
You told us Anderson is worth something. He isn't.
And last TDL, you told us Monahan was worth something. He didn't get traded.

Lots of misses by the Habs fan base. Many many misses.

But a guy like Kulak did have value at the deadline? Why... he's known for his defense. Is Matheson known for his defense? Nope.

Matheson is probably negative value contract. And when he is traded, it will be for a bad contract like Kevin Hayes.
Matheson negative value. What a dumb take.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
The prediction that we would get the moon for Petry was a miss
When did we say that? I mean I don't know how many expected the moon for Petry after his final season as a Hab and his trade request. His value right after the finals run is very different than his value at the end of his last season with us.
Why is it that when Habs fans see what they perceive to be success, they’re likeminded so they can all be right and high five each other? “We were right about Chiarot!” 🎉
Because we get to laugh in the face of posters like yourself who spent months saying Monahan doesn't have the value we think he does because you watched a couple of periods where he "sucked".
But when it comes to the failures, they’re always quick to tell others they don’t share the same brain?
We are arguably the largest fanbase in the league, of course some people saying stuff like "Anderson for Nemec+Mercer" doesn't represent the majority of them. Most of them DID say Chiarot and Monahan would return 1sts and they were right, they dunked on yourself and many others here ridiculing us.

Last edited:

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022

I haven't explore what teams need him. But Hughes will not move him for less than a 1st+.
Looking at teams I would say Toronto, Carolina and Philly could use him. And then are always GM's going after players that they don't need.

Last edited:

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
I think the flip to Detroit. Petry and Chiarot solid pairing there. Then retained on Petry

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
I think the flip to Detroit. Petry and Chiarot solid pairing there. Then retained on Petry
Yes that is an example where most Habs fans were wrong in thinking Petry at 50% would net a 2nd. Hughes came out and said he wanted to accommodate Petry's request to keep him happy which wasn't anything anyone expected given that it was Petry's fault for not including us on his NTC. Even then, I recall many saying that it would be a deadline trade and Petry doesn't play as poorly as he did in his last year for us.

The first Petry trade where many wanted a 1st was before he had a catastrophic year and requested a trade.

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
When did we say that? I mean I don't know how many expected the moon for Petry after his final season as a Hab and his trade request. His value right after the finals run is very different than his value at the end of his last season with us.

Because we get to laugh in the face of posters like yourself who spent months saying Monahan doesn't have the value we think he does because you watched a couple of periods where he "sucked".

We are arguably the largest fanbase in the league, of course some people saying stuff like "Anderson for Nemec+Mercer" doesn't represent the majority of them. Most of them DID say Chiarot and Monahan would return 1sts and they were right, they dunked on yourself and many others here ridiculing us.

What did I say about Monahan? I’m totally fine with what happened (since he didn’t end up on my team).

General Fanager

Feb 2, 2010
Chambly, Qc

Petry is an unfair comparison. He was injured and his family wanted out of MTL..

You were wrong about Monahan this year. You said a "2nd and b prospect"

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004

These silly takes that claim some homogeneous concencus among Habs fans couldn't be more laughably wrong if one was trying to make a bad take.

Matheson, not unlike Monahan earlier this year, appears to be vastly underrated by posters with a poor grasp of the factors that affect hockey performance... Those exists as much amongst Habs fans as they do in other fan bases. It really would not be hard to see that if one was actually curious as opposed to looking for opportunities to bash a fan base they seem quite obsessed by...

Not saying it’s only the case with Habs fans. But it’s been quite evident recently.

Recency bias... It's at the heart of a lot of poor takes, this one included.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Matheson absolutely returns a first. He's not going to have the same stats when he's no longer a #1 on a bad team, but he's been great for the Habs. Any contender would love to have him on the 2nd pair.

I actually wonder about Vegas for this one if Hanifin is outta their price range.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad