Player Discussion Mike Matheson

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
Matheson’s game is where Petry’s was when acquired in 2015… ironically roughly same age as well.
True, but Petry basically had Weber in front of him who took the tough matchups and allowed him to flourish. Matheson would need that too but there's no one to do that this time around. Edmundson doesn't quite cut it.

Matheson's play depends a lot on his usage. If you can shelter him a bit like Pens did and not bury him defensively, he will be a good player. But if he finds himself playing against top competition and getting shelled in the defensive zone, his weaknesses take over and he's a liabilty.

That's an issue right now, since Habs are basically just completely missing a 1st pairing. You have to try to manage it somehow without destroying Matheson's confidence.

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
True, but Petry basically had Weber in front of him who took the tough matchups and allowed him to flourish. Matheson would need that too but there's no one to do that this time around. Edmundson doesn't quite cut it.

Matheson's play depends a lot on his usage. If you can shelter him a bit like Pens did and not bury him defensively, he will be a good player. But if he finds himself playing against top competition and getting shelled in the defensive zone, his weaknesses take over and he's a liabilty.

That's an issue right now, since Habs are basically just completely missing a 1st pairing. You have to try to manage it somehow without destroying Matheson's confidence.
Good point.

The job should still be Edmundson's for lack of a better option. Problem is, we no longer have a partner for him to go out and take on those suicidal minutes. That's the reason why I think (or at least hope), Hugo is not done. Signing a guy like Stralman would at least be something, but we need to clear cap for that.

Last edited:

absolute garbage

Jan 22, 2006
The job should still be Edmundson's for lack of a better option. Problem is, we no longer have a partner for him to go out and take on those suicidal minutes. That the reason why I think (or at least hope), Hugo is not done. Signing a guy like Stralman would at least be something, but we need to clear cap for that.
Yea, agreed. Edmundson-Savard is just too much of non-skill and slowness in one pairing, simply doesn't work maybe outside of PK, and putting Barron in that role would be just insane based on his play last season (he was like a deer in headlights in his own zone).

Reactions: Archijerej

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
He’s a down grade from Petry but is younger. Definitely will be a mainstay in the top 4. Is another LD though, so who moves to right D? Would rather not force one of our young D to their wrong side. Wonder if we see Edmundson moved at the TDL to open up a spot on the left side.

Reactions: CDN24

Chadstudsky

Nov 19, 2008
Ottawa
Good West Island boy, I was living in DDO at the time he was playing for LSL. Man that team was fun to watch with Drouin, Duclair, and Matheson! Welcome aboard!

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
He brings more O than Romanov .

You will soon see Matheison on the Top pairing this season .
He will play 20 plus minutes .
That doesn't say much though...When Edmundson is your best Dman, it says a lot about your depth.
Romanov had 13pts last year, not exactly tough to beat.
What I dislike is, he isn't a physical Dman.

We lost Romanov-Petry-Chiarot....that's a lot of hitting we lost. We are getting Edmundson back, but we need some hitters.
I'm all for sucking, but I'd like to see some big guys lay out some bodies while we're at it.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
That doesn't say much though...When Edmundson is your best Dman, it says a lot about your depth.
Romanov had 13pts last year, not exactly tough to beat.
What I dislike is, he isn't a physical Dman.

We lost Romanov-Petry-Chiarot....that's a lot of hitting we lost. We are getting Edmundson back, but we need some hitters.
I'm all for sucking, but I'd like to see some big guys lay out some bodies while we're at it.

I think Guhle will be able to fill that role. Savard plays physical, too.

Kennerback

Juraj NoShootsky
Jun 2, 2021
...Guhle will be a welcome addition when he's ready...Savard couldn't catch a cold; he's fine at stationary opposition but when they move, he's out of his element...and that element is quicksand...
Savard is the heaviest guy on the team. Just get him to lean on the forwards in the slot…

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Hoping Guhle doesn't stick around, more development down low. Savard was already here though.

Something tells me he will make the Habs out of camp. The good news is they don't need to rush him. So if he makes the team, that is because he actually earned the spot and it's not a Mete-type situation where you're forced to use him because you're so thin on the back end that if one guys gets hurt, you're stuck.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
Well he put up half of Petry's lifetime playoff points in one run last year, so maybe he has more big game in him then Jeff, who is a total ghost when it gets difficult.

Reactions: GrandBison

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Something tells me he will make the Habs out of camp. The good news is they don't need to rush him. So if he makes the team, that is because he actually earned the spot and it's not a Mete-type situation where you're forced to use him because you're so thin on the back end that if one guys gets hurt, you're stuck.
Well we are thin on the blueline, but we aren't trying to compete so you won't jeopardize development because Mete is better than some veteran bottom feeder, and you're so desperate for puck movement.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad