Player Discussion Mike Matheson

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
I'm sure most are already familiar with him but he's a tremendous skater, great hands, can move the puck up the ice. Despite being talented he never put up the offensive production you would expect. Part of the reason could be because he never got a lot of PP time. He played on the 2nd PP pretty much all year and the 1st unit eats time.

Makes a lot bad decisions in his own end, and when he does they look bad. Letang already had the quota of defensive gaffes so the both them on one team was a bit much at times. I know you guys are rebuilding so it will be interesting to see where he goes from here.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I expect Eddy to move to the right he has played it a lot in the past.

It will be interesting to see if any/some/all of Barron, Guhle and Harris make the team. If Edmundson goes to the right then Guhle and Harris will be competing for a spot behind Savard and Matheson with Schueneman.

Maybe Harris moves to the right where he played at Northeastern......

Does not seem ideal but there is still alot of time. I have to wonder if Hughes doesn't try to move Savard for a RHD with a similar contract.

Kennerback

Juraj NoShootsky
Jun 2, 2021
Totally a younger lower case Petry.

I don’t know about losing Poehling. I’ll need to think about it more. But Petry was gone. Everyone in the league knew Habs hands were tied. I’m happy we get a D Matheson’s caliber to put in his place.

Reactions: HabsQC

Habssince89

trolls to the IL
Sponsor
Apr 14, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Doesn't look like a great return but Matheson as a player isn't too bad. I suspect he'll help the powerplay with that shot, and should help transition. Could easily deal him before his contract is through. I still don't think we got enough for Petry but Matheson could end up being a positive contributor.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
It will be interesting to see if any/some/all of Barron, Guhle and Harris make the team. If Edmundson goes to the right then Guhle and Harris will be competing for a spot behind Savard and Matheson with Schueneman.

Maybe Harris moves to the right where he played at Northeastern......

Does not seem ideal but there is still alot of time. I have to wonder if Hughes doesn't try to move Savard for a RHD with a similar contract.

Savard is a RHD

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Welcome to Montreal!!

He play really good hockey since he is a Penguins Pittsburgh, happy to have him.
Absolutely. Like everyone coming to the club, I start them off fresh and let their play dictate my opinion on them.

Matty is a tremendous skater who should help with our new up tempo type of game we want to play. Excited to see how he does

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Interesting to note that last year was the 1st year he started on the offensive zone more than the defensive zone and the points and goals showed up more.

His corsi for is solid. Close to 50% with 50/50 zone starts.

Reactions: WinterLion

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
He’s really good if you put him in the right role. The wheels can come off if you put him in the wrong spot. He’s a very confidence centered player- took a year for Pittsburgh to rebuild him from Florida. Just keep him away from the top pair or any silliness like that.

Reactions: HomeAndHome

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Matheson on the Panthers got more goals than Weeger and Yandle in around the same amount of games. But he was -30 and Weeger was + 77. Yandle was -27 in a bit more games.

Did he improve defensively with the Pens? Not sure yet.

Maybe Hughes likes his shot and skating and his defensive side works for the tank?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad