News Article: Mike Matheson receiving Death Threats

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
Now that’s going to the extreme, but really with social media and keyboard warriors, it’s not surprising.

He did appologize to Petterson.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
death threats to him and his dog is too far. We are all big shots behind a keyboard or phone.

Curmudgeon

Aug 18, 2018
Once again it's another black eye for the city and fanbase and completely unacceptable.

Get the names and get they're identity out there. Their families, friends, employers, and schools should be made aware of the conduct of these people. Press charges where possible.

Soups On

Apr 27, 2012
The double edged blade of social media.

People who do this are pathetic mouth breathers.

Reactions: m9

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Yes, I saw some of this on his twitter account, I'd say there were 25-30 threats of violence at least. Very disturbing but I can't say I was surprised.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Wouldn’t surprise me if a few of them were some of the posters around here.
I would hope not

Now i feel for the guy

I wrote my thoughts on the first page of the second thread on the suspension in the main forums and i stick to it. I dont think hes a goon or rat or dirty guy, but did an idiotic thing and the league probably could have made an example of the attack by punishing the Panthers as a whole so that teams talk to their players about not doing crap like that and protecting the stars of the league so they can do their thing

Reactions: daddyohsix

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Hopefully Matheson complains to the authorities about this. Just looking at the comments a couple of days ago, the first thing that came to mind was that these idiots aren't as anonymous as they seem to think they are.

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
Once again it's another black eye for the city and fanbase and completely unacceptable.

Get the names and get they're identity out there. Their families, friends, employers, and schools should be made aware of the conduct of these people. Press charges where possible.

You don't think that the same would happen to other fan bases if their star players get taken out the way Petterson did.. It's called social media and the internet. There will always be some sour apples. Lets not waste police resources on a couple of hot heads.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Not that surprised to be honest. Outrage culture has been steadily leading to increased threats of violence for a while now. People have no problem seeing people they don't like as less than human and deserving of violence and harm.

Canuck fans are mad at our history and everyone is desensitized to open threats of violence that they justify in their minds. Canuck fans are upset at the state of our franchise, they like they've been wronged by Matheson, and they skip all the normal levels of being pissed off and go straight to threats of violence because that's how you show you're really really angry for realsies. People want justice, their version of justice is doing harm to those they feel harmed them, and if nobody else does it they will threaten to do it themselves.

It's too bad this is bleeding into hockey, especially for things like this rather than losing the cup final (though that still obviously isn't okay), but I think it will just get worse. This won't be the last time this type of thing happen. It's interesting how everyone can rationalize it in their minds.
"It's disgusting that Matheson injured someone, so I'm going to threaten to intentionally hurt him. I have the morale high ground here! I'm just doing justice!"
These people will not take a step back and think about what they're doing or the harm that it can lead to.

Also what kind of person threatens a dog. I can understand humans rationalizing violence to other humans, enough though again obviously it's wrong. Doggers are pure and innocent, someone who is willing to hurt an uninvolved person or creature just to cause suffering for the person they feel wronged by is pretty disgusting. Even worse than threatening violence directly, and that's saying something. These people really need to take a step back and think about if this is the kind of thing a good person would be doing, but they're so sure they're on the right side they wont even question themselves.

Dangerous stuff and it won't stop. I wish there was a way to make people stop and really consider if it's really a good idea to threaten people because they know they're right, as if some of the worst things people do, or have done throughout history, aren't completely justified in their minds. Luckily I don't think anyone will actually follow through, it's much easier to talk a big game on the internet but everyone expects someone else to do the dirty work for them. Wouldn't want to miss the next episode of sportsball or the finale of Game of Thrones.

Reactions: Master Radishes

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Sometimes it's outright embarrassing to be a Canucks fan. We're still the only franchise in NHL history where the 'so called fans' trashed and looted the City, torching cars downtown after a Game #7 loss to Boston. Doesn't appear to take much to send them over the edge again....I'm afraid it could get ugly when Matheson and the Panthers come back to Rogers Arena in January.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Geez, I went downtown and rioted after the game and got it out of my system. Egged a few cars, smashed some windows and set fire to a couple of dumpsters and I was right as rain the next day. People need to learn to channel their emotions better.

Reactions: nucks88

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
Sometimes it's outright embarrassing to be a Canucks fan. We're still the only franchise in NHL history where the 'so called fans' trashed and looted the City, torching cars downtown after a Game #7 loss to Boston. Doesn't appear to take much to send them over the edge again....I'm afraid it could get ugly when Matheson and the Panthers come back to Rogers Arena in January.
Well at least his parents aren't churchgoers here in the city.

Look at it that way ;)

Reactions: Zippgunn

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
You don't think that the same would happen to other fan bases if their star players get taken out the way Petterson did.. It's called social media and the internet. There will always be some sour apples. Lets not waste police resources on a couple of hot heads.

Flyers guy got death threats from Oilers fans too when he broke McDavid's collarbone. Some people just suck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad