News Article: Mike Matheson receiving Death Threats

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Poor intangibles by the people making these threats and poor intangibles by Matheson to whine about what some kids are writing to him on the internet.

Although considering he's a nothing player on the Florida Panthers this must represent the majority of his interactions with hockey fans as an NHLer, which cannot feel too good.

Reactions: sexydonut and Grub

Master Radishes

Nov 29, 2011
Poor intangibles by the people making these threats and poor intangibles by Matheson to whine about what some kids are writing to him on the internet.

Although considering he's a nothing player on the Florida Panthers this must represent the majority of his interactions with hockey fans as an NHLer, which cannot feel too good.
No. Wrong approach to this. Matheson is a human being who does not deserve death threats for what he has done. Just shrugging it off as saying 'welp, that's the internet!' is ignoring the problem in the same way people say 'boys will be boys!' when women are being harassed or 'kids are like that sometimes!' when someone is getting bullied at school.

Also, his role on the team doesn't factor into it one bit. Doesn't matter who it is, this kind of thing is unacceptable.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
No. Wrong approach to this. Matheson is a human being who does not deserve death threats for what he has done. Just shrugging it off as saying 'welp, that's the internet!' is ignoring the problem in the same way people say 'boys will be boys!' when women are being harassed or 'kids are like that sometimes!' when someone is getting bullied at school.

Also, his role on the team doesn't factor into it one bit. Doesn't matter who it is, this kind of thing is unacceptable.

Not sure what you mean here. I never said the people making threats were correct, in fact I've been criticizing them.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Why did Frodo Baggins turn into a skull? :(
:laugh: You're the only one who noticed that.

And that was a still from Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency, not LotR. Filmed here, in fact. A friend of mine was in it, actually. Even had a few lines in the 2nd season. Everyone go watch it. It's on Netflix, and deserves a 3rd season.

Also, it's the regular season now and I decided to switch things up.

Reactions: ziploc and Grub

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
We are not evolved as a species to handle this anonymous connectivity thing AKA social media.

I hope someone smart resolves this fast. I would start with preventing anonymous social media accounts. Every account should be linked to a person so that the company running the media platform can trace who posted what easily. That brings its own problems....

Grub

First Line Troll
Jun 30, 2008
B.C
We are not evolved as a species to handle this anonymous connectivity thing AKA social media.

I hope someone smart resolves this fast. I would start with preventing anonymous social media accounts. Every account should be linked to a person so that the company running the media platform can trace who posted what easily. That brings its own problems....

Agreed. It’s becoming a platform for hate, fake news and showing off.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Once again it's another black eye for the city and fanbase and completely unacceptable.

Get the names and get they're identity out there. Their families, friends, employers, and schools should be made aware of the conduct of these people. Press charges where possible.
Some people are crazy as f***

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017

99% of it would go away if twitter accounts costed $50 each

Reactions: Etteduag ot Reseob

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Not saying it's right but death threats aren't as serious as they used to be. I'd be playing video games growing up and people would just be like kill yourself. Keyboard warriors be saying anything that first comes in their mind. We all know Matheson isn't in any sort of imminent danger. im pretty sure 90% of all social media / celebrities have received death threats. If you haven't received death threats your either a saint or no one knows you.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Not saying it's right but death threats aren't as serious as they used to be. I'd be playing video games growing up and people would just be like kill yourself. Keyboard warriors be saying anything that first comes in their mind. We all know Matheson isn't in any sort of imminent danger. im pretty sure 90% of all social media / celebrities have received death threats. If you haven't received death threats your either a saint or no one knows you.

tbh even people here have told me to kill myself

doesn't mean its a good thing to do, and someone actually threatening to kill you is another story. he's most likely not in any danger but you never know, sometimes someone is actually crazy enough to do it and when they threaten things you love like your kids or your dog it's pretty scary stuff

don't forget, some people have actually tracked down and killed people over video games before

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland

And that needs to change.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Social media culture is cancerous.

I'm sorry that Matheson has to deal with this, as much as I think it was a genuinely stupid play, but he also has to realize that all of these are just fake tough guys, outraged that our team did nothing to counter it.

If our team had responded on the ice, you'd have seen the death threats a lot less.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Social media culture is cancerous.

I'm sorry that Matheson has to deal with this, as much as I think it was a genuinely stupid play, but he also has to realize that all of these are just fake tough guys, outraged that our team did nothing to counter it.

If our team had responded on the ice, you'd have seen the death threats a lot less.

Its an issue with social media that needs to be changed instead of what appears to be happening.
People seem to be accepting it as just part of the way things are.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
:laugh: You're the only one who noticed that.

And that was a still from Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency, not LotR. Filmed here, in fact. A friend of mine was in it, actually. Even had a few lines in the 2nd season. Everyone go watch it. It's on Netflix, and deserves a 3rd season.

Also, it's the regular season now and I decided to switch things up.
Great show. Friend of mine was in it too. Don't think it gets another season though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad