News Article: Mike Matheson receiving Death Threats

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
People send “death threats” over the Internet because someone likes/dislikes cilantro. Seriously, treating this as credible or newsworthy just encourages more morons to seek attention in the future.

To be clear, I’m not saying it’s OK (uttering threats is a criminal offence in Canada), just let’s not pretend this is some “Canuck fan” thing. It’s an idiot thing. And when you have 7 billion people on earth, some of them are idiots.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
I guess with the stupidity of the threats the only positive to come from it is he probably will think twice about doing something like that again

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Self haters take their self hate to the tank thread please...
Self-hate? My observations of the fandom in this city have nothing to do with myself (or any specific person who's a fan). It's not a representative hive mind that we should be protective of or take pride or shame in being associated with. It's just a group of people that have nothing to do with us.

If you were American, would you take offense to an American noticing and wondering why America seems to have an obesity problem, and consider that self hate? That level of pride and nationalism would be pretty dumb.

Last edited:

stampedingviking

Jul 2, 2013
Basingstoke, England

adamzilla

Mar 9, 2008
Vancouver
I must have missed the Vancouver meeting where we discussed threatening Matheson.
Oh well, guess I have to go along with it because apparently all of Vancouver is represented by a few people.

f*** Messier.

Oh wait...

f*** Matheson.

Reactions: EP40

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
I must have missed the Vancouver meeting where we discussed threatening Matheson.
Oh well, guess I have to go along with it because apparently all of Vancouver is represented by a few people.

**** Messier.

Oh wait...

**** Matheson.
There was no meeting it was just some randomn internet tough guys. PC is an internet tough guy, not necessarily saying hes the only one who could have made these threats but it is what it is

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
It's in to be offended, and we think we have a god given right to exact vengeance for our perceived slights, because no one will trace it back to us on the internet. Matheson doesn't deserve that, few do, but a least he can feel certain no one will act on it.

At least we haven't done anything overtly racist or sexist as a fan base in the last few weeks :facepalm:

Hollywood Burrows

Jan 23, 2009
EAST VANCOUVER
People send “death threats” over the Internet because someone likes/dislikes cilantro. Seriously, treating this as credible or newsworthy just encourages more morons to seek attention in the future.

To be clear, I’m not saying it’s OK (uttering threats is a criminal offence in Canada), just let’s not pretend this is some “Canuck fan” thing. It’s an idiot thing. And when you have 7 billion people on earth, some of them are idiots.

If Sergio Ramos wanted to get stabbed 1000 times he could take a walk through downtown Liverpool today. A few mild death threats online are a non-story by comparison.

Even though it is a bullshit story I do like seeing Canucks fans portrayed this way in the normie media. To me it shuts up the haters who live in the shitty parts of Canada, who say we're all bandwagon fans, or that we aren't "real" hockey fans because we don't live in some prairie hell hole. We have some passionate ass fans AND we don't live in edmonton

Reactions: Jyrki21

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
It's in to be offended, and we think we have a god given right to exact vengeance for our perceived slights, because no one will trace it back to us on the internet. Matheson doesn't deserve that, few do, but a least he can feel certain no one will act on it.

At least we haven't done anything overtly racist or sexist as a fan base in the last few weeks :facepalm:
Curious what you're referring to?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad