Gunnarson Gardiner
Liles Franson
Komi/Holzer

Gunnarsson Phaneuf
Gardiner Kostka
Liles Franson
Komi Holzer

I liked him, but didn't love him.

I'm worried he'll get exposed by better teams. His skating really isn't NHL level.

Don't expect to see him up for too long, but would be pleasantly surprised.

Kb21

Dec 27, 2011
Toronto
he didn't stand out but also didn't look out of place. i'd be fine with him as one of our top 6 Dmen.

hope he can keep this up for the full season, if he can we sure found a gem.

DeathToAllButMetal

Let it all burn.
May 13, 2010
Gunnarsson Phaneuf
Gardiner Kostka
Liles Franson
Komi Holzer

I liked him, but didn't love him.

I'm worried he'll get exposed by better teams. His skating really isn't NHL level.

Then that makes him a nice bookend to Phaneuf, whose skating isn't close to NHL level, either. I didn't notice any serious skating issues with Kostka at all tonight.

Sure this will soon turn into another bizarre hatefest here, though. Kostka sucks, Komarov is awesome. Same deal with the hate for MacArthur and his consistently solid play, while most posters here love Kulemin, who's pretty much just terrible.

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
I don't know why people are getting after his skating. It's average at the very least.

But I guess people need to pick out something to be down about in ol' bitter nation. Just like the people complaining about Phaneuf and Kessel tonight.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
I don't know why people are getting after his skating. It's average at the very least.

But I guess people need to pick out something to be down about in ol' bitter nation. Just like the people complaining about Phaneuf and Kessel tonight.

No, his skating was below average for someone who's been playing hockey all year. If his skating doesn't improve he will be exposed by faster teams. I know it's the first game and nobody is really up to speed, but he's been playing in the AHL all year. I'm not sure he has what it takes to be effective in the NHL for a long period of time. The players on both ends of the ice weren't up to their normal speed and his skating wasn't keeping up very well at this pace.

It was only his first game though, so we should give him a few games before we start judging him overall. This game I'd say was very average.

Badger Mayhew*

A good ol' Etobicoke boy! /Don Cherry

But seriously, people bashing him are just looking for something to whine about

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
No, his skating was below average for someone who's been playing hockey all year. If his skating doesn't improve he will be exposed by faster teams. I know it's the first game and nobody is really up to speed, but he's been playing in the AHL all year. I'm not sure he has what it takes to be effective in the NHL for a long period of time. The players on both ends of the ice weren't up to their normal speed and his skating wasn't keeping up very well at this pace.

It was only his first game though, so we should give him a few games before we start judging him overall. This game I'd say was very average.

I didnt think he was slow at all. The only one that really looked slow for us was Franson. I think Kostka's skating was on par with Gunnar or maybe a little below that. Somewhere between Gunnar and Komi which I would say is about average.

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
A good ol' Etobicoke boy! /Don Cherry

But seriously, people bashing him are just looking for something to whine about

No really huh? They need to make an official whining thread where people can take all their whining and crying about petty stuff there. People can then whine about Kessel's commitment, Dion's captaincy, and now I guess Kostka's skating all they want in there.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
No really huh? They need to make an official whining thread where people can take all their whining and crying about petty stuff there. People can then whine about Kessel's commitment, Dion's captaincy, and now I guess Kostka's skating all they want in there.

You're whining an awful lot about some pretty tame criticism, lol.

Kyle Doobas*

I just watched the game twice on Gamecenter and can't recall a single glaring mistake he made. :dunno:

Looked very very good for his first NHL game.

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009

If the Leafs have Stamkos, and Chara people would find something to complain about

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I hope people temper their expectations for this guy. He's done well but one game doesn't define a player.

True but if he does continue like this he has a deserved spot. Maybe trade someone down the line. We should stock up on picks this year regardless.

thatshype

Jul 3, 2010
I hope people temper their expectations for this guy. He's done well but one game doesn't define a player.
Agreed.

Another thing to consider is that he's played a full-season of hockey so far this year, unlike most of our other D. I think Franson might be the only other D-man that played competitively this season. Kostka said in an interview himself that he feels he's in mid-season form. I think as the season wears on, Kostka's performance will come down to Earth as the players around him get up to speed.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Agreed.

Another thing to consider is that he's played a full-season of hockey so far this year, unlike most of our other D. I think Franson might be the only other D-man that played competitively this season. Kostka said in an interview himself that he feels he's in mid-season form. I think as the season wears on, Kostka's performance will come down to Earth as the players around him get up to speed.

I believe Gunnarsson was playing in Allsvenskan during the lockout.

Rockinz

Leafs 4 the cup
Feb 25, 2010
Leaf Land
he had a good game. Hope he keeps it up.

Not sure about him on the PP... Guess he is holding the spot for Gards.

Frelimo

Jul 6, 2012
Toronto
If the Leafs have Stamkos, and Chara people would find something to complain about

Stamkos is not great defensively, therefore not a real first liner
Chara's skating is suspect
Trade them both or bury them in the minors, we need to let the young guys play.
;)

TML g u n n e R s*

i doubt he stays when gardiner comes back.

Was really solid last night, kept the game simple.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
i doubt he stays when gardiner comes back.

Was really solid last night, kept the game simple.

Ya, I was thinking this last night.

Pretty sure he sits when Gardiner comes back. Komi played a solid game last night, and if he keeps it up hes not sitting. He brings a totally different game then Kostka, one which we need.

IMO its between Kostka and Franson.

TML g u n n e R s*

Ya, I was thinking this last night.

Pretty sure he sits when Gardiner comes back. Komi played a solid game last night, and if he keeps it up hes not sitting. He brings a totally different game then Kostka, one which we need.

IMO its between Kostka and Franson.

yup that's what i think as well.

member 147413

Don't want to be negative, he had a great game, but you can tell he's lacking in foot speed, once everyone else in the league gets going again, he'll have a hard time keeping up with the pace imho.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad