Prospect Info: Mike Kostka Discussion Thread

TmlHockeyFan

Jul 19, 2012
Toronto
Late blooming prospect?

He had the second most minutes after Phaneuf. Carlyle seems to really like him. He played well today also. I don't see him going back down to the Marlies once Gardiner comes back if this keeps up.

I understand this is one game but hopefully he can stay consistent.

Last edited:

cup67

May 8, 2010
TORONTO
Late blooming prospect?

He had the second most minutes after Phaneuf. Carlyle seems to really like him. He played well today also. I don't see him going back down to the Marlies once Gardiner comes back if this keeps up.

now we can trade gardiner for luongo

Hyperglide

Sep 20, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Looked pretty good to me out there. Didn't look phased at all. Need to see how he does over a 15 game sample for me to get a better idea of what he is but he looked good tonight.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
I've liked him all season with the Marlies. Hope he sticks cause he's a smart player.

Has a bullet of a shot that we didn't see much of tonight, But perhaps soon.

Apr 11, 2010
Toronto
He's on the slower side (almost like Franson slow), but he seems very defensively sound and didn't look out of place (at least compared to what I would have assumed). One game is too small a sample size but he can be a serviceable 2nd pairing guy if he keeps this up.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
He was very good tonight. Has to keep it up though. Will see how he does facing some higher octane offense against Capitals and Bruins. The Sabres look like at tougher matchup than the Habs.

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
Kostka is already game ready, he has been playing a lot in the AHL all year. Many players haven't played in months. Going to have to wait and see how he plays once everyone has their game legs back.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
He's on the slower side (almost like Franson slow), but he seems very defensively sound and didn't look out of place (at least compared to what I would have assumed). One game is too small a sample size but he can be a serviceable 2nd pairing guy if he keeps this up.

Don't need to be all speed to be a good defensive d. Positional play is key reading play etc

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
I found him to be slow and to make some very minor-league looking plays with the puck. He should correct those with time, but I wasn't as big of a fan as everyone else seems to be. His defensive play was a positive though. I thought he looked very average for the amount of time that he got. The commentators however seem to have felt otherwise.

He's from my hometown (Ajax) so I'm very happy for him, however I wasn't completely blown away with his play. He was very average while playing inflated minutes, IMO.

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
He played great, may be a little bit too slow, but his playing style helped cope with it. He's smart with the puck, good defensively, and has some nice offensive abilities

darty

Dec 1, 2008
Like others have said, he's slow. It'll be interesting to see how he's doing when everyone in the league is up to speed. Let's be honest the speed of tonight's game was closer to AHL speed.

Don't get me wrong though, I thought he did a great job and exactly what we needed him to do. He's earned a chance to prove himself.

smitty10

Aug 6, 2009
Toronto
Like others have said, he's slow. It'll be interesting to see how he's doing when everyone in the league is up to speed. Let's be honest the speed of tonight's game was closer to AHL speed.

It was about AHL preseason speed for the most part. It seems most teams are pretty slow right now. They should have their legs in a week or 2.

HOTD

Jan 11, 2013
Great positional play, smart, poise,d smooth skater, and a GREAT first pass.

JackJ

Feb 7, 2012
Late blooming prospect?

I understand this is one game but hopefully he can stay consistent.

Phaneuf Kostka
Gardiner Gunnarsson
Liles Holzer/Komisarek/Fraser

yakfish

"Holy Mackinaw!"
Dec 21, 2012
Ohio
He looked good to me. Nice to see him get that much ice time. I think he has a bright future with the leafs.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
If my memory is correct, Kostka was the Norfolk Admiral that scored the pinball goal off the boards from centre ice on Scrivens to clinch the Calder Cup last last summer against the Marlies.

Jacob8hockey*

Wasn't Kostka the one who did some training to become a firefighter because he wasn't sure how he was going to do as a hockey player?

Seems about right that he would play great in his first NHL game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->