Prospect Info: Mike Kostka Discussion Thread

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
Don't want to be negative, he had a great game, but you can tell he's lacking in foot speed, once everyone else in the league gets going again, he'll have a hard time keeping up with the pace imho.

This.

However, it is possible for players like a Kostka to adapt as the games get faster. We will see if he is capable of altering his game (ie smarter positioning) to keep up with the bigger and faster teams.

This isnt to trash him, cause he played well, but thats just what I noticed about his speed

Parkdale

Jan 14, 2013
Toronto
Then that makes him a nice bookend to Phaneuf, whose skating isn't close to NHL level, either. I didn't notice any serious skating issues with Kostka at all tonight.

Sure this will soon turn into another bizarre hatefest here, though. Kostka sucks, Komarov is awesome. Same deal with the hate for MacArthur and his consistently solid play, while most posters here love Kulemin, who's pretty much just terrible.

I'm comfortable with this coach that he will always play the best players available which was not always the case with Wilson. That means I think he will only play Kostka if he deserves the ice time...same with everyone else including Orr and Komi.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
If my memory is correct, Kostka was the Norfolk Admiral that scored the pinball goal off the boards from centre ice on Scrivens to clinch the Calder Cup last last summer against the Marlies.

Which also marked the beginning, of his 38pts in 37 pro games streak.

Joufreau

Jan 10, 2013
Ottawa
Kotska looked real solid out there. Moves the puck really well. Sharp/crisp passes all night, very solid defensively.

The whole team looked solid. The first time in years i've seen the leafs consistently step up at their own blue line instead of backin' right up into their own goalie

go leafs go

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
He was okay but I can't wait until Gardiner comes back to replace him.

Gardiner - Phaneuf
Liles - Franson
Gunnarsson - Komisarek
-Holzer

Nice.

Injuries are going to happen so 8 defense is good to have.

Kostka
Holzer
Fraser would all have to clear waivers if sent down.

I would save Holzer and Kostka, I think Fraser could clear now before the league injuries start piling up.

We still don't know how long Gardiner will be. Has he been cleared or contact, or just practicing with the team?

Cappayne

Mar 20, 2011
I haven't kept up with the Marlies, so I didn't know what to expect from him on the 1st pairing, but he did not look out of place at all. I thought he was composed and made some smart plays. I liked him on the PP, he got a lot of shots through, even if they were a little off target, and used guys like Mac for deflections more than once which was nice. Again, it's only 1 game, against the Habs of all teams, so I'd like to see some more of him.

How many minutes does he play for the Marlies? If he's not used to the big minutes, it could be a sign that RC is using him as much as possible early on, so the other D can ease into the game, and then when Gardiner comes back he will be sent down. If he keeps playing like this, though...

mapleleaf979

Jan 14, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
He was okay but I can't wait until Gardiner comes back to replace him.

Gardiner - Phaneuf
Liles - Franson
Gunnarsson - Komisarek
-Holzer

Where is Kostka? I was blown away by all the little small plays this guy made. Recovery plays were unreal. He will play 48 games with the Leafs. Gunnarsson looked TERRIBLE yesterday. I think he has been wrongfully praised on the weakest Dcore in the NHL last few years. Gunnarsson needs to go. Kostka is very smart and poised.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Both Mike's on D looked decent.

I wouldn't mind keeping him up and pairing them, when Gards is back. (fully back)

We can now ease Gardiner back in and eventually get to;

Gardiner-Phaneuf
Gunnarsson-Liles
Kostka-Komisarek/Franson

New Leaf

Oct 16, 2008
Where is Kostka? I was blown away by all the little small plays this guy made. Recovery plays were unreal. He will play 48 games with the Leafs. Gunnarsson looked TERRIBLE yesterday. I think he has been wrongfully praised on the weakest Dcore in the NHL last few years. Gunnarsson needs to go. Kostka is very smart and poised.

This post sums up the Leafs' fan base pretty well. A career AHLer does alright against one of the worst teams in the NHL and he's being placed on a pedestal above proven solid players. He played well last night; can we maybe dial it back a bit and take it a step at a time?

Kyle Doobas*

Did Kostka or Phaneuf play LD last night? I think I remember Kostka on the left side but I was pretty drunk so I could be completely wrong.
Kostka-Phaneuf
Gunnarsson-Komisarek
Liles-Franson

RC mixed and matched a little bit throughout the game, but I think those were the 'main' pairings. Phaneuf looked better on the left side than the right IMO.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Kostka looked good .. He's definitely not a fast skater, but was in good position, made smart plays, and showed good awareness .. A good start for sure, but I am concerned once the the game speed picks up he might get caught

Of course Carlyle's system doesn't require a ton of speed

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
kostka's an ugly skater. he looks like an NHLer but he can't keep getting those kinds of minutes.

goleafsgo87*

Kostka looked solid. but i think he would be better with less minutes per game. then again he is used to playing big minutes in the ahl.

12345*

kostka's an ugly skater. he looks like an NHLer but he can't keep getting those kinds of minutes.

Did his skating cost us scoring opportunities?

Phaneuf, Franson, and Komisarek are all worse skaters than Kostka

Anth93

Jul 2, 2012
Pleasantly surprised by Kostka. He's reliable with the puck, that's one thing I noticed. Watching Gunnar/Komi fumbling the puck in our end makes you appreciate Kostka.

I can see him sticking in our top 4 as long as he plays with a physical presence beside him.

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008

I was wondering if there was anybody out there that sees what I see makes feel better that I'm not losing my mind when it comes to Gunnarson :D

Honestly if I was Carlyle when Gardiner returns Gunnarson should be the one from the 6 that sits to have a D core that could cover all the elements of the game... In my books Holzer provides more to the table of D then the soft, positional game safe minutes when not playing big strong cycling teams that Gunnarson provides.

Gunnarson gets exposed when playing teams like Philly and Boston, he's too much of a tweener for my liking, not strong enough to play vs those teams nor is skilled or fast enough to skate out of trouble when facing those teams. He's a descent #5 or #6 as depth yet he's viewed to be more than that in some circles as the one who helps Phaneuf when it's the other way around:help:

I will also add being that I've followed the Marlies all season last night wasn't the first I've seen from Kostka is that he's strong

Last edited:

THHT

Oct 29, 2009
Pleasantly surprised by Kostka. He's reliable with the puck, that's one thing I noticed. Watching Gunnar/Komi fumbling the puck in our end makes you appreciate Kostka.

I can see him sticking in our top 4 as long as he plays with a physical presence beside him.

Agreed on all points. After scrubbing through my recording to make a video of everything Phaneuf did during the game (almost all positive things), Kostka's plays stuck out quite nicely. Seems to handle the puck well and makes good decisions with it. Effective, but could be a faster skater and a little more physical. You could say that with a lot of our D though.

That said, it was Montreal. They weren't pressuring our D that much. We'll see how the Phaneuf/Kostka plays out against faster and more skilled teams, especially when everyone is back in game-shape.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad