Prospect Info: Mike Kostka Discussion Thread

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
The way they play, simple but good. They look similar to me. Bouwmeester is weak in his own zone, Kostka slapshot is better. Just few differences, and yes JayBow is a great skater, better than Kostka, but Kostka is a better skater than Phaneuf/Komi/Gunar/Holzer/Fraser :laugh:

:facepalm:

New Leaf

Oct 16, 2008
The legend of Kostka is becoming ludicrous on these boards. If he regresses, these same people will say they knew it the whole time.

New Liskeard

Jul 7, 2007
Have never seen a guy jump up our depth chart so quickly. Even Gardiner didn't get #1 PP time out of the gate.

Kostka must have really turned some heads this year. He's going to be on the team all year long if he keeps it up. This guy is actually a keeper. Did we actually win the lotto for a change?

It'll be interesting to see how the icetime shakes down once Gardiner returns and gets back to full speed.

Might be:

Phaneuf Kostka
Garinder Franson
Gunnarson Liles
Komisarek Holzer

We're going to be trading someone soon I think.

Highly doubt it. If anything, someone gets sent down whether it is Kostka/Holzer or Fraser. Going to need defensive depth this season no doubt.

BooRadley

Aug 7, 2007
I have this feeling they're "Matt Stajaning" him. Throw him on the top line with top minutes and try to pry another Phaneuf from another team. Mike is going to Kosta a playoff spot if he keeps up the big minutes (I've been dying to write that).

Lansdown

Feb 1, 2007
Toronto
we're 8-5 with some guy called mike kostka averaging 25 minutes of icetime a night. i'd say that's pretty damn good. but he's more like the thor that was banished to midgard

Center Ice Scrum*

Aug 20, 2010
The World Wide Web
Kostka has played 25, 20, 20, 25 last 4 games. I think the most ideal move for us would be to let him and Holzer alternate and play 25 and 20 minutes every other game. It will keep them both fresh and unexposed continuously.

Alazais

Jun 19, 2010
Kostka has played 25, 20, 20, 25 last 4 games. I think the most ideal move for us would be to let him and Holzer alternate and play 25 and 20 minutes every other game. It will keep them both fresh and unexposed continuously.

This.

They both play fundamentally different games and can have success with their respective efforts.

Kostka has been impressive though. He is a smart player who can read the play and anticipate the action. He doesn't make to many mistakes and seems to be a quality guy who can give you safe minutes.

Blayzer

Jul 3, 2011
I think we are going to be moving Liles. With Gardiner and Kostka, he is expendable. Maybe package him with MacArthur and a prospect/pick to garner a return.

Parkdale

Jan 14, 2013
Toronto
Bottomline for me is that Randy Carlyle has control of Kostka's minutes and in his mind Kostka is one of his studs. When it comes to a D's playing time, I trust this coach's view above all others.

Fearless Leaf*

I don't like Kostka's play to be honest. I hope he gets demoted from top 4 to the bottom pairing role or gets shipped out in a trade or Marlies as soon as Gunnar and Komi is back.

The guy is too slow, his passes are horrible, not strong enough to play the body, and flat out sucks on the PP.

I will give him credit for his effort but he is barely an NHL calibre player. I had rather Fraser over him aswell. If we weren't on such hot start, he would absolutely be crucified.

I hope Gards, Gunnar, and Komi are back up soon.

Anth93

Jul 2, 2012
Bottomline for me is that Randy Carlyle has control of Kostka's minutes and in his mind Kostka is one of his studs. When it comes to a D's playing time, I trust this coach's view above all others.
That's fair, but it's not easy to forget Ron Wilson and his ridiculous ways.

Parkdale

Jan 14, 2013
Toronto
That's fair, but it's not easy to forget Ron Wilson and his ridiculous ways.

Carlyle's actions are mostly transparent. It's not hard to see that he tries to maximize his resources. The only roster decision that "seems" to go against that is Komisarek's....which makes me believe that other factors are in play with him. (My guess is that Komi is ticketed for the compliance buyout this summer and unless they absolutely have to use him, he is basically mothballed to prevent an injury which could derail the buyout).

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
I don't get the hate for Kostka. The guy plays a solid two-way game. He doesn't wow on the offensive end but he does a good job of keeping the puck in on the offensive end. He looks to pass, isn't bad, because he's aware he won't be blowing his shot by a goalie.

He's been fairly solid for us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad