OT: Mike Komisarek retires

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
I have nothing against him. Good for him on knowing when to call it quits and worrying about life after hockey. Coaching job+Degree. He's doing what he needs to do.

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
Seen Komisarek only once in person yrs ago (he had so much obvious heavy attitude).

The Hab players were in Mtl (playing the Bruins in playoffs) getting on a bus from the hotel that would bring them to the Bell Center... I remember Gorges, A.Kostitsyn and a few other Hab players were very cheerful, friendly and thankful that some fans (not more than 20) were politely cheering them on before the players got on the bus. It was just luck that I was passing by and saw all of that! (was walking towards a pub/bar to meet friends to watch game).
I remember Gorges and Andrei Kostitsyn having huge smiles amongst other Hab players (who were all happy to see Hab fans before getting on the bus)...Gorges especially looked happy and humbled by the fans.

And then there was Komisarek...what a grouch.
(at least for that day!).

He had an obvious heavy attitude ''I'm going to puke/vomit'' look on his face as he tried his best not to make eye contact with any fans and hurried on to the bus. It's almost like he intentionally put effort in showing his disdain for the few Hab fans that were cheering!! He looked so pissed off that 20 fans were cheering them on before they got on the bus (I didn't understand the look of hatred on his face). I've never seen a Hab player (Komisarek) look so ungrateful towards a few Hab fans that were just cheering them on!!

Also, I remember quickly seeing Carbo in front of the bus (seated)...he looked confident and positive before that Bruins' game.

After the Habs...Komisarek was an AHLer, imo.

Yeah he made it to the NHL, but owes most of his post-Hab paychecks to Markov and our Habs (for making him look way better than he was).

Last edited:

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
I will always remember, Peanut Mcguire gushing over Komi the first time the Leafs and Habs played, and he said that Markov would seriously miss Komi going forward......and we all knew, it was the other way around.....we were right!!
Looch destroyed Komi's confidence, and the Habs knew it.....Burkie gave more money to Komi, and a USA promise to play in the Olympics...he was a traitor, but hey, it's business sometimes...

Good luck to him, in his retirement....maybe a coach in the NHL someday?

JuicyHam

Dec 16, 2013
windsor
At least emelin and weise were never stupid enough to fight lucic. I mean I loved the guy while he was here but he fought lucic like two or three times and got pummeled each time.

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
I have gotten over him signing with the Leafs. If I remember correctly he signed a five year contract there. If you guys who have said that he signed for just half a million more that what the Habs were offering was correct, that is an extra 2.5 million dollars. That is a lot of money people. Just think of yourself and work. If a company who is in direct competition with who you work for now comes and offers you a 10-15% raise would you be loyal?

Plus let's be real here. I am as much if a Habs fan as anyone but when he was here they were a good team for the most part but not a great team. It is not like he was leaving a Cup contender. Sure he went to a pretty bad team so you can make that argument to my point.

Good for him to calling it a career at 32 as opposed to trying to find AHL work or to go and play in Europe. He has went back to school so good on him. I wish him nothing but the very best.

By the way it was his shoulder injury that he suffered from a Lucic fight that was the start of the end for him. He was never the same after that and started to shy away from physical play.

nyhabsfan

Jun 23, 2005
Connecticut
Some people on this board are ridiculous.

If someone offered you a million dollars more in a lower tax bracket you would take that in a heartbeat and run!

Komi was picked by the Habs and you could see the disappointment in Mikko Koivu's face as he was picked by Minny one spot later.

Komi should have stayed with the Habs as he was a perfect fit with Markov.

But after the disastrous 100th anniversary year Komi was overheard saying he was "outta here.

That year also marked Gainey as one of the WORST GMs in Habs history, right up there with Rejean Houle. Gainey let 11 free agents go without getting a single asset back, then made our team smaller!!

Komi's career was destroyed by the Lucic fight and confidence shattered in the Laughs organization. He may still have been playing if he stayed with the Habs.

Good luck to you Mike, you and your buddy Higgins were my favorites next to Koivu .

Woland

Mar 10, 2007
Montreal
Komi was picked by the Habs and you could see the disappointment in Mikko Koivu's face as he was picked by Minny one spot later.

I don't know what it is you remember , but it was the other way around. Minni took Koivu away from the Habs.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
He signed for the Leafs for only .5 M$ more. It's not like he couldn't make the money here.

He could've been captain here, was a fan favorite and was brought behind the bench as an injured player to show him how much he was appreciated.

Guy is a jerk.
You (and I) don't know that. No one knows for sure what the habs offered. Perhaps term was shorter, perhaps salary was lower...

FF de Mars

Mar 2, 2002
42 rue Fontaine
Thanks Komi for those awsome bodychecks and playing defensive block shoting D alongside Markov. You can't blame him for taking an overpriced contract with the Leafs, then the game changing towards a more PMD way. Farewell.

feds91

May 17, 2004
Everyone is insulting Komisarek, but I remember when he was still a member if the Habs, us fans would boo the U.S. national anthem before the beginning of every home game. I used to tell myself I wouldn't fault him if he left Montreal. We have some ****** as fans. :shakehead

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Everyone is insulting Komisarek, but I remember when he was still a member if the Habs, us fans would boo the U.S. national anthem before the beginning of every home game. I used to tell myself I wouldn't fault him if he left Montreal. We have some ****** as fans. :shakehead

Nothing against Komisarek it was about the war in Irak.

Fans treated him like a King, voted him into the ASG and pumped his tires non-stop. Around the league, a lot of players take pay cuts to stay with their teams.

To most fans there is no difference between 17.5M and 20M...at the end of the day you are still filthy rich.

Mr. Hab story is very telling about Mr. Komisarek. **** him.

googlymoogly

Oct 27, 2007
Why are people so angry? he did the Habs a favor by joining the Leafs. If we had signed him it would of been an overpriced contract and worse for the team.

The only reason to be angry is he helped Toronto tank and give Boston Seguin because of Toronto's stupidity of wanting Kessel. Then Boston corrected the lousy trade by committing even more stupidity and trading away Seguin. You see everything is back in alignment:laugh:

Bruins and Leafs are both stupid;)

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal
People really ought to get over the whole 'traitor' thing. He got a better offer from Toronto. Not a lot of people would turn down a million plus just to be 'loyal'. Regardless, Lucic really derailed his career. Shame, but all the best.

One could even argue we lacked the loyalty in not offering him market value. Just playing devils advocate however, as I do believe he'd have been better off here even if the pay was a bit less.

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal
the difference between Montreal and Toronto is 8% (40% vs 48%)

4,5 M -40% tax = 2 700 000
4M - 48% taxe = 2 080 000

that quiet a big bifference

Actually, a while back there was an article that did the actual breakdown for a player making x million (forget the number sorry, pretty sure it was the avg salary in the league) and the difference between the lowest team to highest team was around 400k iirc.

Wish I could find the article it was actually posted here, but it was essentially proving that tax dollars aren't exactly the biggest concern at the end of the day, sure 400k is a lot, but most of the higher taxed teams also were in areas where the quality of life was better or there was more to do. There's always a trade off. Montreal likely has far more opportunities for endorsement deals too, so ultimately an elite player won't be too bothered by the taxes imo, probably it'd be more of a concern to a lower paid player who also wouldn't be as likely to get as many endorsements as say a guy like PK.

Compile

Feb 27, 2008
In an Igloo
Was never the same after Lucic destroyed him. Liked him his first few years...

Takes two to tango. Couldn't get the contract he wanted, Leafs offered it to him. Who knows, maybe he would have deserved that kind of money had he stayed with Markov..
He went the Leafs for less term and $250,000 more. Hardly a better fit.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I met and knew Mike Komisarek years ago. I remember one night driving home and getting a call on my cell, it was Mike Komisarek. He was a great kid. No way he should be hated by any Habs fan. He made a business decision and it turned out to be a wise move.
I truly wish him well.

Strat

Nov 24, 2011
Toronto
For the record, I think the Lucic fight messed him up real good, but I also think that all the crap that happened at the end of his stay here, Darkest Day in Habs History, him being brought behind the bench while injured... I think Carbo and Gainey seriously mismanaged both the team and him personnlly.
What's the Darkest Day in Habs History?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad