OT: Mike Komisarek retires

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
I always had a feeling that he would end up a coach some day. It happened a lot sooner than I thought though.

http://www.mgoblue.com/sports/m-hockey/spec-rel/010915aab.html

ANN ARBOR, Mich. -- University of Michigan ice hockey head coach Red Berenson announced that former Wolverine defenseman Mike Komisarek will join the coaching staff as an undergraduate student assistant.

Komisarek played two seasons at Michigan (2000-02) before embarking on an 11-year NHL career with the Montreal Canadiens, Toronto Maple Leafs, and most recently the Carolina Hurricanes in 2013-14. Komisarek retired from professional hockey this summer, and decided to return to the University of Michigan to complete his undergraduate degree through the athletic department's Degree Completion Program.

"This is a great opportunity to give back to the University of Michigan, which has given me so much," Komisarek said. "Coach Berenson and the Michigan Hockey program set a foundation for me as a person and as a player. This is an opportunity to get my degree and help the team out and share my experiences. There are very few opportunities in life that are truly a win-win situation, and this is definitely one of them."

Jee

uwu
Aug 25, 2006
Montréal
komisarek.jpg

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
Couldn't care less about the traitor.

InglewoodJack

Jun 10, 2009
Châteauguay
Came here to launch into a paragraph of "hahahaha" but this is good for Mike. Any reason he's getting his degree, or is it so he can have status as an undergraduate assistant (assumably a good entry point for a future coach)

ThaDevilGirl

Every day is a day off
Oct 1, 2006
YUL
Oh, Komi. And to say that I used to love him... Good on him to good back to school and finish his degree.

68*

**** him. Probably won't get his degree without the help of Marky.

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
Was never the same after Lucic destroyed him. Liked him his first few years...

Couldn't care less about the traitor.

Takes two to tango. Couldn't get the contract he wanted, Leafs offered it to him. Who knows, maybe he would have deserved that kind of money had he stayed with Markov..

MasterD

Giggidy Giggidy Goo
Jul 1, 2004
For the record, I think the Lucic fight messed him up real good, but I also think that all the crap that happened at the end of his stay here, Darkest Day in Habs History, him being brought behind the bench while injured... I think Carbo and Gainey seriously mismanaged both the team and him personnlly.

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
Lot of butt hurt people.

Hockey is a game something many of us would love to do for a living. He lived his dream.

Komi making the money he did by leaving mtl seems like a wise business decision now with how short his career was

MayorFord

Feb 13, 2007
Lot of butt hurt people.

Hockey is a game something many of us would love to do for a living. He lived his dream.

Komi making the money he did by leaving mtl seems like a wise business decision now with how short his career was

his move to the leafs shortened his career. he would of made millions more if he would of stayed here. BAD business decision

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
Takes two to tango. Couldn't get the contract he wanted, Leafs offered it to him. Who knows, maybe he would have deserved that kind of money had he stayed with Markov..

He signed for the Leafs for only .5 M$ more. It's not like he couldn't make the money here.

He could've been captain here, was a fan favorite and was brought behind the bench as an injured player to show him how much he was appreciated.

Guy is a jerk.

Stripper

Mar 4, 2013
Why is there so much hate for the guy? Did he urinate on your mothers grave or something?

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
People really ought to get over the whole 'traitor' thing. He got a better offer from Toronto. Not a lot of people would turn down a million plus just to be 'loyal'. Regardless, Lucic really derailed his career. Shame, but all the best.

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
People really ought to get over the whole 'traitor' thing. He got a better offer from Toronto. Not a lot of people would turn down a million plus just to be 'loyal'. Regardless, Lucic really derailed his career. Shame, but all the best.

I agree. It's infantile.

Alexdaman

Wolfman
Mar 12, 2012
Hell/Heaven
Why is there so much hate for the guy? Did he urinate on your mothers grave or something?

Yeah just know that the majority of sports fans are always ******** about athletes for infantile reasons.

Im sure NOBODY here would say know to be an athlete and sign a contract with the leafs or the bruins.

AntonCH

Jul 6, 2009

Beg to differ
There's been plenty of instances in sports where an athlete has given the team who drafted and developed him a "hometown" discount.
In hockey it typically ranges from 500k - 1M / yr.
Komisarek was well within his rights to take the money in Toronto, but the fans are well within theirs to call him traitor among other names.
In hindsight it was the worst move possible and hastened the end of his career.
I'm surprised that he got the chances that he did after the leafs
Regardless, this guy owes Markov a steak dinner every time that they're in the same city and a pair of isotoners every Christmas

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad