Rumor: Mike Komisarek: Gave a list of 12 teams, but wants a trade.

Ari91

Nov 24, 2010
Toronto
There is nothing about Komisarek that tells me he's anything less than a stand up kind of a guy. I'm sure the guy would prefer to play and would be open to discussing options of doing that in Toronto or elsewhere if the opportunity presents itself but I'm not inclined to believe he's demanded a trade and even if he did, I'm not at all surprised that he would address it with the decorum he has thus far.

He may be getting paid to sit in a press box but these guys don't dedicate their lives to this and overcome adversity to continue playing unless they love what they do. He loves to play and wants to play and it's great to hear that both he and Liles, have been really supportive of the team.

Drugstorecowboi

May 5, 2009
The Wings' front office will be interested in neither Liles nor Komisarek. The Wings have five offensive defensemen playing nightly already, making Liles completely unnecessary; and as Komisarek is an underperforming, hugely overpaid defenseman with a year still left on his contract, there's not a chance that they'll touch him either. For that matter, no team that is interested in being competitive will make a play for Komisarek; the impending decrease in the salary cap would ensure that even if his inadequate play hadn't done so already.

As other have noted, if he's moved he'll probably be heading to a cap floor team, and---assuming that he isn't the Leafs' amnesty buyout (which would be a tacit admission that Nonis might not be able to move him at all---it'll happen in the offseason. Every team is above the floor for this season already.

As I noted, there's not the faintest chance of this happening. More, what you've said is incorrect. The Wings do not need another defenseman---they currently have eight who are capable, and the defense has really begun to gel over the past few games---and though the Wings have indeed have a lot of success at reclaiming players who have fallen upon tough times, never are those players who are on large contracts. Picking up a down-and-out player and giving him league minimum is a risk only in the most minimal sense. Taking on a guy who'll be a salary cap liability if he doesn't perform is an entirely different story.

Further, how many Leafs defensemen have actually moved directly from that team to the Wings over the past decade? I can't remember any. There certainly haven't been any since Larry Murphy who have moved on to the Wings and retired as a member. For that matter, there have been very few ex-Leafs defensemen on the Wings at all during that period. And for those on the team right now Detroit is very unlikely to be the final destination. White is unlikely to get another contract with the team after this season, and Carlo will likely spend his days with the Wings as a depth defenseman; barring a tremendous resurgence, he's likely to be on the way out after his contract ends too.

His giant contract plus the shrinking of the salary cap plus the incapacity under the new CBA for teams to stash bad contracts in the minors equals many reasons for competitive teams to stay away.

I'm going to laugh all the way to the bank if Komi joins White & Coala in Detroit. :naughty:

audiotunesx

Jul 6, 2006
komi.jpg

Nice!

Doug Gilmour

Oct 5, 2010
Not one bit surprised. It was only a matter of team either he said something about his situation with the team. Just trade him to the West 'cause when he is on his game he will hurt this team if he is playing in the East against us.

hockeyfanz*

Not one bit surprised. It was only a matter of team either he said something about his situation with the team. Just trade him to the West 'cause when he is on his game he will hurt this team if he is playing in the East against us.

hahaha...the Leafs speed will turn Komisarek into a turnstile..can you see Kessel flying down his wing? Please.

rban*

Just wanted to say I am AMAZED by the deterioration of Komi and Liles.

Believe it or not couple of yrs ago I thought Leafs would have the best defense corps in the NHL. Komi never generated much offense but was an absolute TERROR in Mtl, hitting and flattening people with abandon. And Liles in Colorado always generated gr8 offense.

I thought pairing Komi and Liles together would be a dream defense pairing, one of the best in the NHL.

And on top of Komi-Liles, you guys have former all star Phaneuf, and guys like Gunnarson and Franson...

Again, I thought that defense corps would be the best in the NHL.

Quel surprise. Komi not playing anything like he did in MTL, Phaneuf not being an all star like in Flames, and now Liles benched...

What the he*? happens to defencemen when they come to Toronto?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Wilson%20Cemetery.jpg

"Ron Wilson Cemetery - Where Defenders Careers Go To Die"

So true

Would have been interesting seeing what Carlyle has done for Fraser that he could have done with Luke Schenn.

Komisarek is clearly no longer a part of Leafs plans, so hopefully Nonis can pull a rabbit out of his hat and find him a new destination to play.

ChuckWoods

Sep 13, 2009
So true

Would have been interesting seeing what Carlyle has done for Fraser that he could have done with Luke Schenn.

Komisarek is clearly no longer a part of Leafs plans, so hopefully Nonis can pull a rabbit out of his hat and find him a new destination to play.

I completely agree with being interested to see what Randy could have done with Luke.

But he has found more than adequate replacements within the system and pushed JVR to the next level, adding a piece we didnt have in this system.

His player managment has been fantastic.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad