Confirmed with Link: Mike Johnston fired

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrBurghundy

I may be older but I'm never forgetting #47 & #41
Oct 5, 2009
I Love Scotch
I'm cautiously optimistic. Things could just get worse. I don't know much about Sullivan at this moment in time.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
This x100.

Johnston was willing to lose his job over not playing Daniel Sprong. idiot.

And yes I believe this was 98% the reason he was fired.
I'd say it has more to do with barely making the playoffs this year and trending towards barely making them or just missing them this year.

I definitely think not playing Sprong played a part though. When that story came out, it was putting the wheels in motion and Johnston didn't do anything to slow them down by playing the kid.

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010
This is about more than how the Pens played. No one will report this, but Mike Johnston repeatedly figuratively spit in JR's face.

At the end of camp, JR made it very clear that he didn't want Sprong kept up, but Sprong's play, plus pressure from the 9, plus the mistrust of DS' junior organization, convinced JR to keep Sprong up. When that happened, JR made it clear - crystal clear - that he did NOT want Sprong to sit in the press box.

Moreover, before the Ottawa game (At the beginning of the year), JR - on behalf of ownership - made it explicitly clear that management wanted younger players (more than just Sprong) in. At the time, the intimation was, "stop playing Scuderi."

So MJ stopped playing Scuderi... for 3 periods. Then right back to scratching Clendending and the Sprong **** started, and it was down hill from there.

And regardless of what people want to say, Sidney Crosby was not keen on both KCD NOR the constant changing of his lines every other period.

And that - well, not Crosby's line specifically, but finding combinations that work and being more proactive with what JR considers to be an immensely-deep forward group - was another slap in the face of JR.

GMs don't dictate towards the coach, and JR and MJ are no different, but JR was saddled with certain things he couldn't control (Dupuis, Scuderi, etc...) and he made sure to accumulate enough talent to afford MJ the opportunity to reduce (or eliminate entirely) the roles those players played.

And don't overlook the firing of Agnew. All of this is connected, and it's really inexplicable, unless MJ actually wanted to get fired.

The next month will be a tryout for Sullivan. If he can pull of some Bylsmagic, he'll likely retain the job. If the team continues to falter, then the Penguins will look at other options when the compensation rules change.

You can expect the team to play a more aggressive style fro the next month, at least.

(This likely would have happened Thursday, but they were expecting a Dupuis tribute on Friday and didn't want to overshadow things. Then the Dupuis tribute was pushed back, and while they still don't want to overshadow it, the team wanted to move on ASAP)

This is good ****, thank you

It would be outright stupid to trade him at the moment. He has very little value, just let him keep working on his defensive game down in the A.

I meant eventually. Hopefully he turns out as expected. I'm sure someone would overpay for a player like him.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
This is about more than how the Pens played. No one will report this, but Mike Johnston repeatedly figuratively spit in JR's face.

At the end of camp, JR made it very clear that he didn't want Sprong kept up, but Sprong's play, plus pressure from the 9, plus the mistrust of DS' junior organization, convinced JR to keep Sprong up. When that happened, JR made it clear - crystal clear - that he did NOT want Sprong to sit in the press box.

Moreover, before the Ottawa game (At the beginning of the year), JR - on behalf of ownership - made it explicitly clear that management wanted younger players (more than just Sprong) in. At the time, the intimation was, "stop playing Scuderi."

So MJ stopped playing Scuderi... for 3 periods. Then right back to scratching Clendending and the Sprong **** started, and it was down hill from there.

And regardless of what people want to say, Sidney Crosby was not keen on both KCD NOR the constant changing of his lines every other period.

And that - well, not Crosby's line specifically, but finding combinations that work and being more proactive with what JR considers to be an immensely-deep forward group - was another slap in the face of JR.

GMs don't dictate towards the coach, and JR and MJ are no different, but JR was saddled with certain things he couldn't control (Dupuis, Scuderi, etc...) and he made sure to accumulate enough talent to afford MJ the opportunity to reduce (or eliminate entirely) the roles those players played.

And don't overlook the firing of Agnew. All of this is connected, and it's really inexplicable, unless MJ actually wanted to get fired.

The next month will be a tryout for Sullivan. If he can pull of some Bylsmagic, he'll likely retain the job. If the team continues to falter, then the Penguins will look at other options when the compensation rules change.

You can expect the team to play a more aggressive style fro the next month, at least.

(This likely would have happened Thursday, but they were expecting a Dupuis tribute on Friday and didn't want to overshadow things. Then the Dupuis tribute was pushed back, and while they still don't want to overshadow it, the team wanted to move on ASAP)

You're back :)

Thanks for the insight. I'm excited to see Sullivan attempt line combos that make sense and the team to play aggressive.

Ironic that the junior coach was pretty much done in by a 'juniors' player.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Sure they kept RT. But im just happy MJ is gone. And the PP hasnt been THAT bad lately....still should be much better.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

This all makes perfect sense, I'm not surprised MJ's usage of Scuderi over the young guys led to his demise.

Question though, is Sullivan an interim coach or the new head coach?

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
I still think a change was worth a try. They weren't getting to the next level with the prior regime. Just unfortunate the new guard wasn't of great quality.

The lineup still isn't up to snuff on D no matter the coach though.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
You're back :)

Thanks for the insight. I'm excited to see Sullivan attempt line combos that make sense and the team to play aggressive.

Ironic that the junior coach was pretty much done in by a 'juniors' player.

Nope, just finally happy to be rid of this piece of **** (coach, great human, I'm sure).

I enjoy the Penguins way more not posting here, but there was a lot of behind-the-scenes **** going on with MJ that I figured people would enjoy. Or not. Whatever. It's over with now.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
You think Sullivan will have any influence on calling up some young guys in the next few days? Like DP,wilson,simon or sundqvist?

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
I'm glad that Johnston/Agnew got the axe but I have to say that I'm a little concerned about what Sullivan will bring to the team. I am unfamiliar with his philosophies and style. Can anyone shed some light on this? Is he willing to play the young guys over the old? Will he make the tough decisions on whats best for the team?

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Still puzzled why Tocchet's still here. Then again, I kind of expected a half-assed housecleaning. Nonetheless, thank god Johnston's gone...

I think quite literally he's part of the good ol boy club. He's as big of a problem as either Agnew or MJ.

We have Sully and Tocchet now...technically we need another assistant? Wonder if Martin will have any role?

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Yeah I agree. Solid win against Colorado and all things considered a good performance against LA.

It probably boiled down to his record and then doing **** all when JR said he wanted to see more of Sprong and Clendening. Because these last two games did look like a team that gave a damn and needed to find a finishing touch but MJ was still up to his greatest problems. That **** was a shot off the bow and Johnston didn't heed it. JR is impulsive (or call it decisive, whatever) enough that he wouldn't pull a Shero and spend the next year and a half pondering what to do or needing to be reassured over it. It's not always a good trait but here it was.

Don't **** it up, Sullivan, and **** off, Tocchet.

cassius

Jul 23, 2004
giphy.gif

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
YES!!!! FINALLY!

Hope the new coaching regime is better for Sid and G and that Sprong gets more ice time!! (And that Scuderi is permanently healthy-scratched)

He has already been told that Sprong will be playing. They probably gave him what they expect his ice time to be per game as well. Believe that.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Nope, just finally happy to be rid of this piece of **** (coach, great human, I'm sure).

I enjoy the Penguins way more not posting here, but there was a lot of behind-the-scenes **** going on with MJ that I figured people would enjoy. Or not. Whatever. It's over with now.

Well thanks for dropping in at least. While we still got you, do you know how GM and the organization are feeling about Kunitz and his play right now?

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I'm glad that Johnston/Agnew got the axe but I have to say that I'm a little concerned about what Sullivan will bring to the team. I am unfamiliar with his philosophies and style. Can anyone shed some light on this? Is he willing to play the young guys over the old? Will he make the tough decisions on whats best for the team?

Being Torts' assistant for a lot of years, I think he's a slightly tamer version of him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad