Confirmed with Link: Mike Johnston fired

Status
Not open for further replies.

Contender

Sep 22, 2014
I'm glad this finally happened, and wasn't going to wait until the end of the season. Even if they do end up missing the playoffs, it will be very beneficial for the next season to get the players back to their old selves in an offensive system. The only complaint is that Johnston and Agnew are gone, but Tocchet still has a job. Maybe Johnston had more of an impact on the power play than we realized.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
A couple thoughts:

-Is Sullivan the new head coach now or is he the interim coach?
-I bet Sprong plays more now, Sullivan loved using his young players with WBS and I don't doubt JR is in his ear about Sprong playing

I wouldn't be surprised if a reason for MJ getting canned is Sprong playing 11 minutes in 2 games combined after JR has been lobbying for him to play. Seems like a middle finger to JR to be playing Sprong that little.

The GM

Jun 7, 2012
A few things:

Is Sullivan interim or is the gig his? Can someone give me a rundown of his system?

I also feel like this decision was already made before the last couple games. They played well against Colorado and the Kings.

Probably true - the behind the scenes work was likely just making sure they had their ducks in a row with a replacement in WBS and to also convince Martin to take an assistant role to replace Agnew.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Yeah I agree. Solid win against Colorado and all things considered a good performance against LA.

This screams that they fancy themselves winning a Cup this year and they cant beat the best right now.

This board better prepare for a costly trade.

Contender

Sep 22, 2014
Remember,

tumblr_nguhlkfC2Y1r6f9y3o1_500.gif

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Still puzzled why Tocchet's still here. Then again, I kind of expected a half-assed housecleaning. Nonetheless, thank god Johnston's gone...

Agnew was the assistant coach Sullivan brought in and Tocchet wasn't. I also wouldn't be surprised if the players aren't Iistening to Tocchet well either.

I actually really like our coaching staff now. Sullivan is more of a hard ass, kinda like Tocchet was supposed to be.

brewski420

Sep 29, 2009
Ohio
I initially liked the hire of MJ. I admit to being terribly wrong and I am surprised /happy they did this as quick as they have.

tbassett

Jun 12, 2014
Barnesboro, PA
I really wouldn't say Johnston was fired. What he did with Sprong last night was basically forcing Rutherfords hand. I'm happy either way but that was basically saying f*** you GM.

Don't know much about Sullivan but he can't be nearly as bad as MJ. Let's get it together!!!

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh
Good. I don't know that much about Mike Sullivan though, what is he generally about in terms of systems/philospohy?

After speaking with a few long-time Rangers fans, Sullivan was a very defensive coach when he was an assistant with the Rangers and was a champion of the "six goalie" system they played. Less about puck possession and more about collapsing and blocking.

pensfan71

Jun 9, 2010
This screams that they fancy themselves winning a Cup this year and they cant beat the best right now.

This board better prepare for a costly trade.

I wish JR would explore trading Pouliot. Not a huge fan of him at all

MtlPenFan

Apr 14, 2010
With a couple of days off between games, you knew this was coming.

Good riddance to him and Scuderi lover Agnew. They can both eat a bag of *****

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
This is about more than how the Pens played. No one will report this, but Mike Johnston repeatedly figuratively spit in JR's face.

At the end of camp, JR made it very clear that he didn't want Sprong kept up, but Sprong's play, plus pressure from the 9, plus the mistrust of DS' junior organization, convinced JR to keep Sprong up. When that happened, JR made it clear - crystal clear - that he did NOT want Sprong to sit in the press box.

Moreover, before the Ottawa game (At the beginning of the year), JR - on behalf of ownership - made it explicitly clear that management wanted younger players (more than just Sprong) in. At the time, the intimation was, "stop playing Scuderi."

So MJ stopped playing Scuderi... for 3 periods. Then right back to scratching Clendending and the Sprong **** started, and it was down hill from there.

And regardless of what people want to say, Sidney Crosby was not keen on both KCD NOR the constant changing of his lines every other period.

And that - well, not Crosby's line specifically, but finding combinations that work and being more proactive with what JR considers to be an immensely-deep forward group - was another slap in the face of JR.

GMs don't dictate towards the coach, and JR and MJ are no different, but JR was saddled with certain things he couldn't control (Dupuis, Scuderi, etc...) and he made sure to accumulate enough talent to afford MJ the opportunity to reduce (or eliminate entirely) the roles those players played.

And don't overlook the firing of Agnew. All of this is connected, and it's really inexplicable, unless MJ actually wanted to get fired.

The next month will be a tryout for Sullivan. If he can pull of some Bylsmagic, he'll likely retain the job. If the team continues to falter, then the Penguins will look at other options when the compensation rules change.

You can expect the team to play a more aggressive style fro the next month, at least.

(This likely would have happened Thursday, but they were expecting a Dupuis tribute on Friday and didn't want to overshadow things. Then the Dupuis tribute was pushed back, and while they still don't want to overshadow it, the team wanted to move on ASAP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad