Mike Hoffman's Girlfriend allegedly behind harassment against the Karlssons

Status
Not open for further replies.

oilwave

Jan 15, 2011
Edmonton
I think one of the main misconception here is about the peace bond. A peace bond is issued when there is not enough evidence for a case. I think based on the fact that the karlsson's filed a peace bond means they do NOT have evidence to prove it was Caryk. If you include the fact that they wanted this matter to be private really strengthens this point.

They believe that based on Caryk's previous behavior that she is the one but they have no proof. If they did have proof they would have not filed a peace bond they would have pressed charges. At this point nobody can say with certainty that it was in fact Caryk.

I believe in an innocent until proven guilty mentality especially in this case considering there is NO evidence so far that directly points this at the Hoffman's.

I really hope this matter is resolved as quickly as possible as the longer it gets the worse it's going to get for everyone.
That's not how peace bonds work. There are many reasons to pursue a peace bond over pressing charges, or in conjunction with charges. The legal system in Canada has tons of different mechanisms for different situations in lieu of charges, they don't mean there was not enough evidence for a case.

Yes it's a lower burden of proof and easier to get. But it in no way means there is no evidence, nor does it mean a case wouldn't be successful or won't still be pursued in the future.

A peace bond also significantly obstructs a person's civil liberties and reputation. You don't get a peace bond without evidence. They don't just give them out anytime charges aren't pressed. It's simply a negotiating tool like any other and is not evidence of what happened one way or the other.

Nico the Draft Riser

Devils, Rams, Hawks, Twins fan
Nov 18, 2017
People are talking about Melinda getting sued here. Unless i missed something, has she publicly said she thinks Caryk did anything or is this all media reporting. She can't be sued for defamation for filling a Peace Bond or making statements/accusations in private court. If Melinda did not go public i don't see why she would be at any risk of defamation.
Are those records not public knowledge?

sens13

Mar 16, 2017
That's not how peace bonds work. There are many reasons to pursue a peace bond over pressing charges, or in conjunction with charges. The legal system in Canada has tons of different mechanisms for different situations in lieu of charges, they don't mean there was not enough evidence for a case.

Yes it's a lower burden of proof and easier to get. But it in no way means there is no evidence, nor does it mean a case wouldn't be successful or won't still be pursued in the future.

A peace bond also significantly obstructs a person's civil liberties and reputation. You don't get a peace bond without evidence. They don't just give them out anytime charges aren't pressed. It's simply a negotiating tool like any other and is not evidence of what happened one way or the other.

I'm using this as a reference: Victims Right's in Canada – Peace Bonds Fact Sheet

According to that, that's how they work. Quote: "There are no reasonable grounds to believe that an offence has actually been committed".

Anyone can get a peace bond. In this case they applied for a peace bond but it has not been approved yet since Caryk was never served.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
Melinda is no getting sued even if she is wrong lol its supposed to be a confidentional process .the only person in trouble is the one who leaked the information

it is a public process unless a confidentiality order is made, which did not happen here. it is just an obscure process. normally reporters do not randomly check through the month old filings before a justice of the peace looking for things to report on. so yes, there was a tip here but the tipster was "leaking" public information.

it is unlikely melinda would be successfully sued for filing it even if she cannot prove it. you'd have to prove she knew she couldn't prove it when she filed and also that she filed it in bad faith so the allegations would be reported by the media. it does occasionally happen that people file legal claims so reporters will be able to report the story without being sued, but it is very hard to prove. the fact she filed it in her maiden name and it only leaked over a month after filing suggests she did not want to draw attention when it was filed.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
After reading this story which says Monika Caryk has hired a lawyer to investigate all this I'm not sure what to think.

EXCLUSIVE: Hoffman, fiancee deny harassing the Karlssons

I do know in the eyes of the law you're innocent until proven guilty.
Unfortunately in the public eye many lives have been almost ruined because of false accusations or just plain horrible policing.

Sad situation no matter how it ends up.

I do know if someone sends you an email their IP address is easily obtained.
Though with Twitter and Instagram I believe only a court order requesting the IP address and other info would give you access to it.

All that said even if you have an IP address, it only tells you what ISP and a general location.
To get conclusive identifying info would require a warrant.

Though it would help if the party had sent you emails before and identified themselves.

Last edited:
Reactions: amethyst

Refuse

Sin City Soldiers
Aug 23, 2005
After reading this story which says Monika Caryk has hired a lawyer to investigate all this I'm not sure what to think.

It feels a bit like grandstanding to be honest. Some of the quotes seem really off and clashes with their message. When I got to this part it got uncomfortable.
“I got a horrific email from a girl named Taylor Winnik, I believe her husband plays in the NHL, saying that I’m a horrible and disgusting person, accusing me of writing negative stuff about the fact that Erik and Melinda lost their child,” Caryk said.
"horrific email from a girl" (Taylor Winnik is 39). "Accusing me of writing negative stuff..." (negative stuff is really downplaying it).. that whole quote sounds like something from Mean Girls.

Reactions: dukeofjive

RalphyDanger

"Where's the Hustle Boys!"
Nov 1, 2010
I feel like the online harassment is only the half of it. Even if there is no evidence that Caryk was the “internet troll”, the Karlssons still claimed that Caryk made threatening remarks in person; and it appears some other hockey wives might back that up. I would think that’s also grounds for a peace bond, although I haven’t looked into all that much.

oilwave

Jan 15, 2011
Edmonton
I'm using this as a reference: Victims Right's in Canada – Peace Bonds Fact Sheet

According to that, that's how they work. Quote: "There are no reasonable grounds to believe that an offence has actually been committed".

Anyone can get a peace bond. In this case they applied for a peace bond but it has not been approved yet since Caryk was never served.
I see, thanks for providing the source.

I've worked with peace bonds in the past which is why I replied. Sometimes this is true, cause the lower burden of proof means you can get one when you can't get a conviction. But they're also used in lots of other situations simply because they are useful and its a less extreme response.

And the court's prefer it in situations where they think it'll work as it takes up way less time and court resources. Lots of cases get funnelled into peace bonds for that reason.

CalgarySnow

Oct 21, 2017
Maybe they didn’t go ahead with the peace bond because Melinda and Erik were distraught with grief and couldn’t deal with it all becoming public at that time? The fact that at least 2 ex Sens’ wives are not surprised makes me think Caryk didn’t keep it civil despite her saying she did. Hopefully they will be able to prove who the troll was so the Karllson’s can move forward

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
I think one of the main misconception here is about the peace bond. A peace bond is issued when there is not enough evidence for a case. I think based on the fact that the karlsson's filed a peace bond means they do NOT have evidence to prove it was Caryk. If you include the fact that they wanted this matter to be private really strengthens this point.

They believe that based on Caryk's previous behavior that she is the one but they have no proof. If they did have proof they would have not filed a peace bond they would have pressed charges. At this point nobody can say with certainty that it was in fact Caryk.

I believe in an innocent until proven guilty mentality especially in this case considering there is NO evidence so far that directly points this at the Hoffman's.

I really hope this matter is resolved as quickly as possible as the longer it gets the worse it's going to get for everyone.

You're talking about it from the perspective of a police investigation where the police are asking for the peace bond because they don't have enough evidence to press charges, but they know the person they are filing it against is likely to do something bad. You use the peace bond to create a situation where the behaviour stops or the person is arrested and then charged for violating a condition of the peace bond. For example, an ex-husband is stalking his ex-wife, he hasn't done anything wrong per say, but she is worried because he has a previous criminal record for domestic abuse. The police will apply for a peace bond that he cannot go within X metres of her or he'll be violating his peace bond. She sees him outside her work, calls the police and they arrest him for violating the condition of the peace bond.

In this situation, it the peace bond was applied for privately. It's a similar process, but actually very distinct from a situation where the police are involved (as that article explains).

Maybe they didn’t go ahead with the peace bond because Melinda and Erik were distraught with grief and couldn’t deal with it all becoming public at that time? The fact that at least 2 ex Sens’ wives are not surprised makes me think Caryk didn’t keep it civil despite her saying she did. Hopefully they will be able to prove who the troll was so the Karllson’s can move forward

I feel like a broken record, but I'm going to keep saying it. The tweets of the Julie Turris and Marlee Hammond provide nothing other than a vague opinion in support of Melinda Karlsson. They offer nothing substantive and neither confirm or deny any of the allegations against Monika Caryk.

MiscBrah

Mar 16, 2012
it is a public process unless a confidentiality order is made, which did not happen here. it is just an obscure process. normally reporters do not randomly check through the month old filings before a justice of the peace looking for things to report on. so yes, there was a tip here but the tipster was "leaking" public information.

it is unlikely melinda would be successfully sued for filing it even if she cannot prove it. you'd have to prove she knew she couldn't prove it when she filed and also that she filed it in bad faith so the allegations would be reported by the media. it does occasionally happen that people file legal claims so reporters will be able to report the story without being sued, but it is very hard to prove. the fact she filed it in her maiden name and it only leaked over a month after filing suggests she did not want to draw attention when it was filed.

This is actually very interesting part of the story that not many are talking about. Peace bond applications are not public, until they have been served. It's very unclear how the reporter acquired the documents. I listened to an interview with her on Hockey Central last week and she would not explain how she got the documents. At this point, the only people who should have had a copy would be the person who filed the application and presumably their lawyer.

Now, there is a caveat here. There was a court date missed on May 25, 2018 because the application was never served on Monika Caryk. Sometimes, when applications are not served they are considered "to never have been sworn" and will be treated as if they did not exist (i.e. there would be no public access to the documents). On the other hand, it's possible that after the court date was missed the application became public record as it was considered to have been withdrawn.

Another interesting angle is that Melinda last name was spelled incorrectly. I don't mean that she should have been named as Melinda Karlsson, but that her maiden name is "Currey" and the application has her name spelled as "Curry". Note the absence of "e" in the last name. This is likely nothing, a simple typographical error, but according the rules this would have been sworn by Melinda Currey/Karlsson. It seems strange to me that she would look at the document and not realize her name is spelled wrong or realize it's spelled wrong and still submit it anyways. This isn't like guest list for a party, this is a court proceeding where the details matter. If they really did have a high profile lawyer/law firm doing this work it's extremely concerning that an error like this a) would have happened and b) wouldn't have been corrected.

Again, probably nothing, but it adds another question to a situation that is already very troubling.

Reactions: gab6511

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
This is actually very interesting part of the story that not many are talking about. Peace bond applications are not public, until they have been served. It's very unclear how the reporter acquired the documents. I listened to an interview with her on Hockey Central last week and she would not explain how she got the documents. At this point, the only people who should have had a copy would be the person who filed the application and presumably their lawyer.

Now, there is a caveat here. There was a court date missed on May 25, 2018 because the application was never served on Monika Caryk. Sometimes, when applications are not served they are considered "to never have been sworn" and will be treated as if they did not exist (i.e. there would be no public access to the documents). On the other hand, it's possible that after the court date was missed the application became public record as it was considered to have been withdrawn.

Another interesting angle is that Melinda last name was spelled incorrectly. I don't mean that she should have been named as Melinda Karlsson, but that her maiden name is "Currey" and the application has her name spelled as "Curry". Note the absence of "e" in the last name. This is likely nothing, a simple typographical error, but according the rules this would have been sworn by Melinda Currey/Karlsson. It seems strange to me that she would look at the document and not realize her name is spelled wrong or realize it's spelled wrong and still submit it anyways. This isn't like guest list for a party, this is a court proceeding where the details matter. If they really did have a high profile lawyer/law firm doing this work it's extremely concerning that an error like this a) would have happened and b) wouldn't have been corrected.

Again, probably nothing, but it adds another question to a situation that is already very troubling.
I like how every few pages, someone comes in and posts some version of this post.

Lol

ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Oct 26, 2017
Edmonton

That reporter has AWFUL vocal fry, I couldn't listen to her for more than 30 seconds.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I don't think Melinda is a bad person. Her history of philanthropy indicates quite the opposite. But she is currently trying to destroy someone else's life, and until we have a verdict, she should be grilled just as much as the accused. For Melinda and Erik's sakes, they better be right because this is a bell that doesn't get unrung.
Getting a peace bond is destroying someone else's life?
There's no "verdict" here to await. The Karlsson's just want the harassment to stop, and had to get a judge involved for it to happen. The peace bond is basically being used as a mini-restraining order to prevent contact between Caryk and them.

Victims Right's in Canada – Peace Bonds Fact Sheet

Last edited:
Reactions: Sidney the Kidney
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad