Value of: Mike Hoffman to PIT

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
That's why the Pens have turned to Jared McCann, Dominik Kahun, and Dominik Simon to play next to Crosby and Malkin. They need at least one top six winger (it doesn't have to be Hoffman) if they want to seriously compete.

sure they can always tinker, but last I checked, they were doing pretty damn well (8-2-0 in L10) without that 'other' top 6 winger and kahun and simon injured

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
sure they can always tinker, but last I checked, they were doing pretty damn well (8-2-0 in L10) without that 'other' top 6 winger and kahun and simon injured

Simon is currently in the lineup. Meanwhile, Kahun and, more importantly, Guentzel are not. The team needs to bolster the top six in order to compete with Washington, Tampa, and Boston.

RSPens

May 25, 2015
Let's say the Panthers lose every game between now and the TDL (they won't). Then a swap of UFA's isn't a big issue for either team. The Pens could even entertain adding POJ to the trade. However the Pens don't really have anything that the Panthers need and trading Hoffman now leaves a huge hole. I just can't see either team working out right now. However maybe draft day trading UFA's may be an option if either team really wants the other player for next season.

Last edited:

inthe6ix

Oct 3, 2008
Toronto, Canada
Simon is currently in the lineup. Meanwhile, Kahun and, more importantly, Guentzel are not. The team needs to bolster the top six in order to compete with Washington, Tampa, and Boston.

whut

they just beat the caps and b's recently - not even my second favourite team, but respect where due

they can compete with anyone even without bolstering

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Let's say they Panthers lose every game between now and the TDL (they won't). Then a swap of UFA's isn't a big issue for either team. The Pens could even entertain adding POJ to the trade. However the Pens don't really have anything that the Panthers need and trading Hoffman now leaves a huge hole. I just can't see either team working out right now. However maybe draft day trading UFA's may be an option if either team really wants the other player for next season.

Seems weird to me that the Panthers would not want to re-sign him now? No state tax too. Panthers loosing Hoffman is a bigger loss than some fans think.

- 52 PP points in 134 games
- 25 PP goals in 134 games

This is very good PP production. Panthers loose him on the PP and they take a major hit IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: BHD

RSPens

May 25, 2015
Seems weird to me that the Panthers would not want to re-sign him now? No state tax too. Panthers loosing Hoffman is a bigger loss than some fans think.

- 52 PP in 134 games
- 25 PP goals in 134 games

This is very good PP production. Panthers loose him on the PP and they take a major hit IMO.

I agree, the only way Hoffman is moved is if he wants to move and the team has no chance of making the playoffs. It's just poor asset management to move him now.

Reactions: harv33173

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
whut

they just beat the caps and b's recently - not even my second favourite team, but respect where due

they can compete with anyone even without bolstering

While being heavily out-shot and out-chanced. You're not guaranteed to win a 7-game series playing like that. Believe Pens fans when they say the team needs another winger.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I agree, the only way Hoffman is moved is if he wants to move and the team has no chance of making the playoffs. It's just poor asset management to move him now.

He might be giving them the "I want to explore my options on July 1st" narrative. Who the hell knows. It just seems reasonable that the Panthers need him now and for the next few years. Why wouldn't they try to sign him? You are correct, the only way they trade him is if they know he wants out

Reactions: Pens and Flames

GrumpyKelly

May 15, 2011
Bottom of a bottle
He might be giving them the "I want to explore my options on July 1st" narrative. Who the hell knows. It just seems reasonable that the Panthers need him now and for the next few years. Why wouldn't they try to sign him? You are correct, the only way they trade him is if they know he wants out

We need to choose between him and Dadonov in the summer, can't afford both. It seems pretty obvious that Hoff is the guy out. It makes sense to trade him we get defenseman back but otherwise keep him as a rental.

Reactions: Beezeral

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Dumoulin would help. But I don't know what the deal would look like.

The Pens aren't moving him. The only guys available would be Schultz (down year) and Johnson (big contract). Hardly the guys the Panthers should be going after. Like others have said, I don't think there is a deal here.

Reactions: Beezeral and Kellyr

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
Don't even think your 1st and Poulin will get you Rakell. Who trades a player in their prime, on a value contract with term, and trending very well for unproven futures? If you were in their shoes, why would he be considered a problem vs a solution? He's 26, not 30+

Agree on Hoffman likely returning a 1st. However, doubt the Panthers sell cause they will be in the mix.

I actually think Kovalchuk is your cheapest option for a playoff run. Kovalchuk with Malkin seems like a great fit to me and Kovy improves your PP.
No thanks on Kovy. He’s been doing better than expected but still I don’t really want that style player on my team. I think he’s slow and historically has a bad attitude.

Rakell has regressed a bit since his 30 goal campaign in 2017. He also has not played a full 82 game season once in his 7 year career.

Ducks fans are blaming his regression on Getzlaf not producing the same anymore, but that’s not a good argument that his production is contingent upon another player.

Don’t get me wrong I think Rakell is great and worth trading our top prospect and a 1st for. But I don’t think he fetches more than that. I think it’s fair given his injury history and recent 2 year dip in production. And it’s not like Poulin is a slouch or anything he’s gonna be a good NHLer.

Ducks fans were asking for prospects and picks in another Rakell thread so I think that’s a pretty decent return if that’s the ask. They could maybe do a 1 for 1 for another good player like Dumba, but if picks and prospects is the ask I think Pittsburgh certainly has the ammunition.

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
I like Hoffman as a player. But I think he is a poor fit for the Penguins. You bring him in to bolster your 1st unit power play. He isn’t going to get his preferred spot on the first unit because that’s Genos spot. He has salary next year we’d struggle to fit with resigning our RFA’s. Then to flip it to Florida, they are in the playoff hunt. Why would they trade one of their top six weapons in the first place, let alone to an Eastern conference team while trying to push for being top 3 in the division short of an overpayment. I just see the entire situation with trading for Hoffman as unattainable full circle.

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
I like Hoffman as a player. But I think he is a poor fit for the Penguins. You bring him in to bolster your 1st unit power play. He isn’t going to get his preferred spot on the first unit because that’s Genos spot. He has salary next year we’d struggle to fit with resigning our RFA’s. Then to flip it to Florida, they are in the playoff hunt. Why would they trade one of their top six weapons in the first place, let alone to an Eastern conference team while trying to push for being top 3 in the division short of an overpayment. I just see the entire situation with trading for Hoffman as unattainable full circle.
Penguins did extremely well with a one shot winger..he would fit in very well and the penguins power play has struggled without kessel. Good fit. Can they find a piece the cats want?

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
Penguins did extremely well with a one shot winger..he would fit in very well and the penguins power play has struggled without kessel. Good fit. Can they find a piece the cats want?
It’s not his shot, but his position on the PP, correct me if I am wrong. But Hoffman plays the right side on the power play. That’s where Malkin plays. So ether he goes to his off side, the left. Or he goes to second unit. I just don’t see it as a good fit.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
I don't see why Florida would do this without it being a 3 way trade. Even then I don't see why we want to help a team we could meet in the playoffs, although we are unlikely to battle over a playoff spot.

For Pittsburgh, I think the pieces they'd give up would only make sense if they think this is the end of their window, which might be true...

Jerkbait

Dec 12, 2019
Hoffman would not be my first choice.
There not many who would fit better. Maybe saad. Maybe kreider. I see zucker as a step down. Tatar below that even. A line of sid jake and hoffman would be fun to watch...

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
No thanks on Kovy. He’s been doing better than expected but still I don’t really want that style player on my team. I think he’s slow and historically has a bad attitude.

Rakell has regressed a bit since his 30 goal campaign in 2017. He also has not played a full 82 game season once in his 7 year career.

Ducks fans are blaming his regression on Getzlaf not producing the same anymore, but that’s not a good argument that his production is contingent upon another player.

Don’t get me wrong I think Rakell is great and worth trading our top prospect and a 1st for. But I don’t think he fetches more than that. I think it’s fair given his injury history and recent 2 year dip in production. And it’s not like Poulin is a slouch or anything he’s gonna be a good NHLer.

Ducks fans were asking for prospects and picks in another Rakell thread so I think that’s a pretty decent return if that’s the ask. They could maybe do a 1 for 1 for another good player like Dumba, but if picks and prospects is the ask I think Pittsburgh certainly has the ammunition.

Kovalchuk: "I think he is slow and historically has a bad attitude". This quote from you tells me you really don't know his game today. I'll be honest, I was not that high on him before he join the Habs but did I really watch him that closely with the Kings? NO! Habs signed him cause Gallagher got hurt and our injuries were adding up. Habs are playing Kovalchuk in a top 6 role and on the PP. I think you need to watch him play bud. He's not slow. Pretty sure a lot of fans are really not even watching him play. Kings mismanaged him it appears. He's an impact player on the ice for the Habs... you should be unbiased and watch him for a few games.

Rakell: Good luck getting a value contract with term like this and a player just touching prime years. Ducks won't be trading him for cheap IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad