Mike Halmo *Sent to BPT*

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
What has MM done to prove he is even earned to move up ? He isn't half the player he was last season and his offensive game to me hasent got much better at all. Love MM but right now he is no more then a 4th liner

You don't notice a guy like Martin or Clutterbucks value until those grinding playoff games or even rivalry games. Nobody can tell me Clutterbuck hasn't been awesome in Islander Ranger games. Of course a hard hitting, give it all type of player won't look good when your team has trouble winning 5 games in November.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Is he dirty then? I have not seen him play live at all so if the videos and reviews of him are not indicative of his game then disregard, but if he is a dirty player (or borderline dirty) I hope it is a quick stint..gritty and underdog I can root for.. dirty I can not.. I have too many bad memories of Matt Cooke, Darcy Tucker and Dale Hunter to root that kind or player, if that is what he is.. we need guys with size and physical players yes , but to me there is a difference between dirty and physical...

Sometimes to appreciate something in front of you, you just need to shift your view a little. Know all those guys on other teams that "changed their ways" like Cookie? Guys who seem to get one good run off the record at Tavares or Nielsen "for olde tymes sake" that the refs seem to magically ignore while some announcer for the other team immediately commends about how changed they have become?

Consider Halmo, "an answer." But also consider that he has offensive skills as well and is decent defensively. You might say he is a little ball of hate. We need one of those.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
What has MM done to prove he is even earned to move up ? He isn't half the player he was last season and his offensive game to me hasent got much better at all. Love MM but right now he is no more then a 4th liner

He's on a line with two other guys who struggle offensively, so I don't know what you are looking for. His role, which he plays well, is to hit everything in site. His numbers are under what you might want for this year, but he performs his role. And we could absolutely stick him on the first checking unit where the primary concern is to stop goals, not get them, where he can punish the other team's top players.

Nelly

Jul 22, 2011
You don't notice a guy like Martin or Clutterbucks value until those grinding playoff games or even rivalry games. Nobody can tell me Clutterbuck hasn't been awesome in Islander Ranger games. Of course a hard hitting, give it all type of player won't look good when your team has trouble winning 5 games in November.

I love how Clutterbuck heads to the bench with an empty gas tank. He would be more effective if he wasn't on the second unit power play. Save his energy for the 3rd line minutes and penalty kill.

TheWhiteWhale30

Dec 3, 2007
He's on a line with two other guys who struggle offensively, so I don't know what you are looking for. His role, which he plays well, is to hit everything in site. His numbers are under what you might want for this year, but he performs his role. And we could absolutely stick him on the first checking unit where the primary concern is to stop goals, not get them, where he can punish the other team's top players.

Idk I have to disagree. He's not very good this year. I've seen his game drop off and he was on the same line last year

Koobs11

aka Back door Johnny
Feb 4, 2007
Adirondacks
I love the energy he brought last night. I hope he can continue to bring it. Looking forward to a
Martin-Cizkas-Halmo line. That is going to be a hard hitting shut down line that wears opponents down.

N Ireland Nets Fan

May 13, 2013
Rochester, New York
I love the energy he brought last night. I hope he can continue to bring it. Looking forward to a
Martin-Cizkas-Halmo line. That is going to be a hard hitting shut down line that wears opponents down.

I thought Halmo was the biggest surprise last night. He made smart hits and caused so many problems for the Leafs last night while he also showed there is more to his game than just hitting.

He played really well and his between the legs pass across the crease was great. If Halmo keeps this level of performance up I'd pencil him in for a 4th line slot.

The Underboss

Dec 20, 2006
Florida

I thought Halmo was the biggest surprise last night. He made smart hits and caused so many problems for the Leafs last night while he also showed there is more to his game than just hitting.

He played really well and his between the legs pass across the crease was great. If Halmo keeps this level of performance up I'd pencil him in for a 4th line slot.

Really liked his game. Hope he keeps it up.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY

I would be nervous if I were CMac, Halmo is going to be competing for his likely spot next season. Having agitators like CBuck and Halmo would be nice, Matt Martin as the face puncher when needed. Our pain in the ass factor would be that much better with all 3 of them hitting all game.

JT and CMac are the odd couple roomies, they seem really close. His job might be safe to start next season as a result so Halmo will have more time to refine his craft in the AHL. Could be a different story as next season progresses.

N Ireland Nets Fan

May 13, 2013
Rochester, New York
I would be nervous if I were CMac, Halmo is going to be competing for his likely spot next season. Having agitators like CBuck and Halmo would be nice, Matt Martin as the face puncher when needed. Our pain in the ass factor would be that much better with all 3 of them hitting all game.

JT and CMac are the odd couple roomies, they seem really close. His job might be safe to start next season as a result so Halmo will have more time to refine his craft in the AHL. Could be a different story as next season progresses.

Tiny sample size I know but Halmo looked a better hockey player than Martin last night and when I mean hockey player I mean skills with the puck. Martin hits more than anyone but sometimes I think he goes looking for the hit to the determent of taking the puck or making the right play. Halmo made some great hits but in good situations as well.

In an ideal world Martin would be our extra forward with a 4th line of Halmo - Cizikas - Clutterbuck if Halmo keeps performing well. If Clutterbuck was on our 4th line it would mean we have a deep team on our hands. I know I'm getting away ahead of myself.

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
Agree with others, Halmo looks like he's on the fast track to take over for McDonald maybe as soon as next training camp.

Hip Of Rick*

Snow Must Go!
Mar 17, 2007
Philadelphia
After 1 game he seems like a solid guy to have around as a 11-13th forward. I like Martin and Clutterbuck as players (hate the Nino deal) but it shows how expendable a Martin or Clutterbuck type really is.

ichabod13

Oct 5, 2010
Baltimore Maryland
one of my pet peeves is when people start a sentence with..."i mean.........." and he did that three (?) times during his interview after the second (?) period last night. when people say "i mean" it means they want to clarify/explain the point they just made. well jack***, if you havent said anything yet, there is no need to clarify/explain what you meant!!!

loved his game though. if thats what he brings every game, ill be more than happy to deal with his "i mean" crap. he had some nice, heavy, well timed hits. and didnt take himself out of the plays to make them. and that between the feet pass was pretty too. i didnt know he had that in him.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
After 1 game he seems like a solid guy to have around as a 11-13th forward. I like Martin and Clutterbuck as players (hate the Nino deal) but it shows how expendable a Martin or Clutterbuck type really is.

Bottom sixers are always interchangeable to a degree. I wouldn't say Clutterbuck is as expendable as Martin. I think Martin needs to model his game to a degree after Clutterbucks. Sure his hit totals are always high but it seems like 95% of his hits are after the puck already left the players stick and have no bearing on the play at hand.

BTW I'm going today. Hope Halmo dresses for this game also.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
one of my pet peeves is when people start a sentence with..."i mean.........." and he did that three (?) times during his interview after the second (?) period last night. when people say "i mean" it means they want to clarify/explain the point they just made. well jack888, if you havent said anything yet, there is no need to clarify/explain what you meant!!!

loved his game though. if thats what he brings every game, ill be more than happy to deal with his "i mean" crap. he had some nice, heavy, well timed hits. and didnt take himself out of the plays to make them. and that between the feet pass was pretty too. i didnt know he had that in him.

You know, I hate that too. Umm, it drives me crazy. You know, he should really work on that.

;)

bluechipbonzo

Feb 12, 2010
Ottawa
Agree with others, Halmo looks like he's on the fast track to take over for McDonald maybe as soon as next training camp.

I noticed how CMac picked up his effort level there after watching Halmo's first period. He has to worried about a kid like this.

As an aside, it will be nice to see more of our prospects push some of our lets say lesser lights as the season winds down. That's one effect that we've been missing and it will be great for our overall team effort and desperation level.

I just wish it could happen without hurting our draft positioning haha. Still, Ritchie will be a terrific add in the five or six slot this June.

:naughty:

N Ireland Nets Fan

May 13, 2013
Rochester, New York
one of my pet peeves is when people start a sentence with..."i mean.........." and he did that three (?) times during his interview after the second (?) period last night. when people say "i mean" it means they want to clarify/explain the point they just made. well jack***, if you havent said anything yet, there is no need to clarify/explain what you meant!!!

Speaking from experience, I used to play another sport professionally, being interview at the end of, or during a game is a complete nightmare. Your mentally and physically drained being focused on the task at hand and therefore to put a coherent answer together is extremely difficult.

In the sport I was involved in we were given media training to stay away from the repetitive words but sometimes you can't help using them over and over because it gives you that slight delay to gather thoughts and your breath.

I do get your point although I'd say give the kid a break. First NHL game ever, adrenaline pumping while his body is fatigued at the end of the period all point to a bad interview.

Reporters also know these things and therefore will target guys like Halmo for interviews because they are more liable to give an interview which isn't perfectly handled and robotic like Tavares. I have no clue if you know of a famous ex soccer player called Paul Scholes who played for Man Utd and England, he was regarded as giving the best interview in the football world among players. He answered all the questions perfectly and with no messing around which made for robotic answers and no sensationalism and for that reason he was never interviewed because it was boring tv.

Sorry for the random rant but I wanted to put a point across that it isn't easy at all to be tired, walk off the ice and have a mike thrust into your face to give a good interview.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Speaking from experience, I used to play another sport professionally, being interview at the end of, or during a game is a complete nightmare. Your mentally and physically drained being focused on the task at hand and therefore to put a coherent answer together is extremely difficult.

In the sport I was involved in we were given media training to stay away from the repetitive words but sometimes you can't help using them over and over because it gives you that slight delay to gather thoughts and your breath.

I do get your point although I'd say give the kid a break. First NHL game ever, adrenaline pumping while his body is fatigued at the end of the period all point to a bad interview.

Reporters also know these things and therefore will target guys like Halmo for interviews because they are more liable to give an interview which isn't perfectly handled and robotic like Tavares. I have no clue if you know of a famous ex soccer player called Paul Scholes who played for Man Utd and England, he was regarded as giving the best interview in the football world among players. He answered all the questions perfectly and with no messing around which made for robotic answers and no sensationalism and for that reason he was never interviewed because it was boring tv.

Sorry for the random rant but I wanted to put a point across that it isn't easy at all to be tired, walk off the ice and have a mike thrust into your face to give a good interview.

Please comment more. Having someone familiar with what the pros really do, and how they feel about things, is appreciated.

ichabod13

Oct 5, 2010
Baltimore Maryland

im not going to banish him to hell or anything like that because of it. i know way to many people in the real world that start sentences with "i mean".....and it just bugs the hell out of me.
doublechili just summed up damned near every NFL interview from the last ten years or so with his "you know......ummmmm......you know" shtick. that got to be so ridiculous that i stopped watching the NFL.

i will give him one thing though, at least he didnt start each sentence with "dude......."

startainfection*

i want to fill in all the spots of the forwards i hate with players that play exactly like halmo, bring back Haley, bring in Leo Komarov and make a serious push for Steve Ott

a bottom 6 of those 3 players along with cizikas martin and clutterbuck will drive teams crazy, trade bailey and mcdonald for anything, trade nielsen for a good dman

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County

Excellent post!

MaryChristine*

I mean, seriously, dude.

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
Looked excellent int he first period yesterday but tailed off like everyone else later. Took one stupid penalty that made it 4-1 and killed all momentum, but I think he might actually be a fine 4th line energy guy one day.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad