Speculation: Mike Green: Top Trade Target for Red Wings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Fair enough. Though if the coach publicly states that he wants the guy, I doubt the GM is going to trade him away without a decent overpayment.

Yeah, but I still think that both Capitals and Red Wings would benefit some idea-trade like Kindl+Tatar <> Green.

Caps is lacking a left winger and they will get it. They donöt have the cap space for that left winger, so they do a downgrade at defence to get cap space to fix that LW problem.

They already have three right handnesses there and two guys from both handness sides to have a perfect defence without Green.

Like:

Orpik - Niskanen
Alzner - Carlson
Kindl - Carrick
(Erskine)

Trade Erskine, when Orlov comes back from LTIR.

Last season Capitals avg PP Ice-times:

(Ovechkin 5:02)
Carlson 3:08
Green 2:45
Carrick 0:19
Orlov 0:15

So they went with 1 defenceman on the point in both units. Carlson is already their most important defenceman, not Green. Pretty sure Ovechkin still plays the point, but they could add 3rd guy in the mix. I see Kindl in here, and Niskanen replaces Green.

How about:

Niskanen 2:59 (season 2013-14 avg)
Kindl 2:02 (season 2013-14 avg)

A lot better solid four.

And how about their PK ?

Carlson 3:44
Alzner 3:32
(Orpik 2:56)
(season 2013-14 avg)
Erskine 2:04
Carrick 1:11
(Niskanen 0:42)
(season 2013-14 avg)
Green 0:29
Orlov 0:22
(Kindl 0:05) (season 2013-14 avg)

They have added Orpik who makes horrible Erskine obsolete. And adding Niskanen makes a secondary choice for Carrick as 4th-5th PK guy. Green is just huge 6 million eater as a guy who can't penalty kill. Either can't Kindl, but he isn't cap problem with his 3rd pairing guy contract.

Their defence with those UFA adds and Kindl would be just so much better balanced, and that gives cap space to bolster their offence.

Red Wings will benefit from getting right-handed and "better-than-Kindl" offensive Green.

Both teams will benefit. If it's and dea trade for both teams, who cares about if a neighbour division team will get better, if both will get better?

So pull the god damn trigger, and do the deal. :nod:

I would really like that Caps defence after that trade, more than I like about Wings defence! :amazed:

Orpik - Niskanen (defensive 6'2 - offensive 6'0, Left 33y-old - Right 27y-old)
Alzner - Carlson (defensive 6'2 - offensive 6'3, Left 25y-old - Right 24y-old)
Kindl - Carrick (offensive 6'3 - defensive 5'11, Left 27y-old - Right 20y-old)
(Orlov)

Current Erskine-Green as 8 million 3rd pair is just insanity, when you could go with 3.5 million 3rd pair like Kindl-Carrick and have better forward corps.

Total Ice-times from last season:

Carlson 24:30
Niskanen 21:17
Orpik 21:11
Alzner 20:32
Kindl 17:13
Carrick 15:58

Those Ice-Times will just split so reasonably. Carlson is the "norris-guy" and Niskanen-Orpik-Alzner will complete the TOP4.

Green is not needed. = TRADE.

Last edited:

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
Yeah, but I still think that both Capitals and Red Wings would benefit some idea-trade like Kindl+Tatar <> Green.

Caps is lacking a left winger and they will get it. They donöt have the cap space for that left winger, so they do a downgrade at defence to get cap space to fix that LW problem.

They already have three right handnesses there and two guys from both handness sides to have a perfect defence without Green.

Like:

Orpik - Niskanen
Alzner - Carlson
Kindl - Carrick
(Erskine)

Trade Erskine, when Orlov comes back from LTIR.

Last season Capitals avg PP Ice-times:

Green 2:45

So they went with 1 defenceman on the point in both units. Carlson is already their most important defenceman, not Green. Pretty sure Ovechkin still plays the point, but they could add 3rd guy in the mix. I see Kindl in here, and Niskanen replaces Green.

How about:

Niskanen 2:59 (season 2013-14 avg)
Kindl 2:02 (season 2013-14 avg)

A lot better solid four.

And how about their PK ?

Carlson 3:44
Alzner 3:32
(Orpik 2:56)
(season 2013-14 avg)
Erskine 2:04
Carrick 1:11
(Niskanen 0:42)
(season 2013-14 avg)
Green 0:29
Orlov 0:22
(Kindl 0:05) (season 2013-14 avg)

They have added Orpik who makes horrible Erskine obsolete. And adding Niskanen makes a secondary choice for Carrick as 4th-5th PK guy. Green is just huge 6 million eater as a guy who can't penalty kill. Either can't Kindl, but he isn't cap problem with his 3rd pairing guy contract.

Their defence with those UFA adds and Kindl would be just so much better balanced, and that gives cap space to bolster their offence.

Red Wings will benefit from getting right-handed and "better-than-Kindl" offensive Green.

Both teams will benefit. If it's and dea trade for both teams, who cares about if a neighbour division team will get better, if both will get better?

So pull the god damn trigger, and do the deal. :nod:

I would really like that Caps defence after that trade, more than I like about Wings defence! :amazed:

Orpik - Niskanen (defensive 6'2 - offensive 6'0, Left 33y-old - Right 27y-old)
Alzner - Carlson (defensive 6'2 - offensive 6'3, Left 25y-old - Right 24y-old)
Kindl - Carrick (offensive 6'3 - defensive 5'11, Left 27y-old - Right 20y-old)
(Orlov)

Current Erskine-Green as 8 million 3rd pair is just insanity, when you could go with 3.5 million 3rd pair like Kindl-Carrick and have better forward corps.

Total Ice-times from last season:

Carlson 24:30
Niskanen 21:17
Orpik 21:11
Alzner 20:32
Kindl 17:13
Carrick 15:58

Those Ice-Times will just split so reasonably. Carlson is the "norris-guy" and Niskanen-Orpik-Alzner will complete the TOP4.

Green is not needed. = TRADE.

If Kindl-Carrick is the 3rd pairing after Green is traded, then Green is most certainly needed.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
I personally think Green will do horrible under Trotz too. Its probably in his best interest to get traded.

Hypothetically speaking: let him flounder under Trotz. Then he will cost less halfway through the season when we do trade for him.

I don't think I value Green as highly as most and wouldn't feel comfortable trading Tatar for him

Last edited:

icKx

Vanek 4 Prez
May 7, 2010
Intertubes
Fair enough. Though if the coach publicly states that he wants the guy, I doubt the GM is going to trade him away without a decent overpayment.

If Green nets the Caps Tatar, Kindl/Smith & pick Trotz will be the first one to say he's happy with the move and he's been eying our prospects since the Central division days.

And none of the national or DC media will remember anything said before because that's just how these things work.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
So you won't like that extra 5 million in cap space to be used for forwards. Like for Tomas Tatar?

Ok, fine then. Keep missing the playoffs without offensive depth.

The reason the Caps missed the play-offs is they were icing 3 NHL caliber defenseman on a nightly basis last year. Hence the reason for Orpik and Niskanen. We sacrificed resigning Grabovski at the expense of upgrading the blue line but to say we missed the play-offs because we didn't have offensive depth is completely false. In fact, we have too many wingers and most of the Caps fan base (and coach Trotz) has said we could deal wingers for center depth. What forward available now in FA is worth us trading Green's cap hit for? No one.

Here's what people need to understand -- the Caps do not need to trade Green. Right now they have 6 defensemen with the ability to play top 4 minutes. That's not something we've had in a very long time. Orlov is injured possibly until November, which decreases the likelihood of us trading Green. They might lose him for nothing after the season, but that happens all the time. Did the Penguins trade Orpik or Niskanen? Colorado and Stasny? Boston and Iggy? Teams lose FA's every year. We have no reason to trade Green other than to upgrade other parts of our roster, so acting like us trading him is a necessity or a forgone conclusion is wrong. If the price isn't met, he's not going any where.

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
So you won't like that extra 5 million in cap space to be used for forwards. Like for Tomas Tatar?

Ok, fine then. Keep missing the playoffs without offensive depth.

The two biggest reasons the Caps missed the playoffs last season was poor coaching and poor defense. Trading Green for Tatar doesn't fix much.

r0bert8841

Jan 2, 2009
Michigan
Hypothetically speaking: let him flounder under Trotz. Then he will cost less halfway through the season when we do trade for him.

I don't think I value Green as highly as most and wouldn't feel comfortable trading Tatar for him

I would agree with you if we were talking about a player we would consider a luxury, but I feel a a top RH Puck moving defensemen is a necessity.

The fact of the matter is the Wings use a puck possession system, but we quite frankly don't have the puck moving defensemen that the system relies on. We either need to trade for a top Puck moving defenseman, or we need to start using a different system.

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
Wings need a new player to target. How about Erik Karlsson?

Would cost way too much. But when he gets to ufa.... I would think he isn't very happy with how things have went in Ottawa. And I would bet he is patiently waiting to hit ufa status to strike it rich in addition to going to a team with a demand to winning.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
My sources say the Wings are interested, but the asking price is steep.

lloyd.png

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Would cost way too much. But when he gets to ufa.... I would think he isn't very happy with how things have went in Ottawa. And I would bet he is patiently waiting to hit ufa status to strike it rich in addition to going to a team with a demand to winning.

How likely is it that a contender is going to have enough cash to sign a guy like him?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad