Speculation: Mike Green: Top Trade Target for Red Wings

Status
Not open for further replies.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
so far, green has only had major success under BB who employed (until teh overreaction) much more free-wheeling system than babcock does.

are you sure? in 2012-13 he lead the NHL in points from defense while finishing up ranked 6th in points per game. then he finished tied for the team lead in points in the playoffs. whats your definition of success?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Caps not making playoffs, trading Green since he has an expiring contract anyway.

Or, set to make the playoffs but already good at the blueline so they trade their expiring guy while they can still get something for him.

If it hits trade deadline though, I don't think he will go to us.

if they look like they are going to miss the playoffs, I agree.

good at the blueline? usually playoff bound teams never have enough defensemen. right? particularly if the guy you are trading is leading your defense in offense.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
are you sure? in 2012-13 he lead the NHL in points from defense while finishing up ranked 6th in points per game. then he finished tied for the team lead in points in the playoffs. whats your definition of success?

major success ;).

i'm aware of his stats and watched at least 45 games last year, i think and all po-games. obviously his very bad mistakes like the one against isles (i think) tend to stay in memory longer time.

it obviously helped that he got to play with karl alzner. wings don't have that, closest is dekeyser but he still has little ways to go to be at that level.

he was good overall but not as dynamic as he used to be and based on these last two seasons (and especially 4). not worth the price you would ask (and deservedly so).

Roy S

May 16, 2009
I hope he doesn't trade for anybody now. They aren't Cup contenders next year anyway.

Keep all the young players and draft picks and hopefully they'll develop extremely well and we don't have anymore Jarnkrok situations. We can't make trades well or sign anybody good in free agency, so it's all dependent on that.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
this piece of human garbage GM dosent have a managerial clue left in his body and would be just as likely to trade mantha and nyquist for green as he would to resign cleary and quincey

Last edited by a moderator:

BTCG

Jun 16, 2006
50 points is possible, could've done close to that that last year if he got the pp time.

his puck moving abilities cover his weaknesses on D.

He has no puck moving abilities. He either coughs the puck up, or flings the puck away to an opponent like a midget house player.

Honestly, you've never seen him play, have you?

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
He has no puck moving abilities. He either coughs the puck up, or flings the puck away to an opponent like a midget house player.

Honestly, you've never seen him play, have you?

And he's not over 35 with bad knees and a god awful corsi score. Totally not Holland material.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
major success ;).

i'm aware of his stats and watched at least 45 games last year, i think and all po-games. obviously his very bad mistakes like the one against isles (i think) tend to stay in memory longer time.

it obviously helped that he got to play with karl alzner. wings don't have that, closest is dekeyser but he still has little ways to go to be at that level.

he was good overall but not as dynamic as he used to be and based on these last two seasons (and especially 4). not worth the price you would ask (and deservedly so).

Last season Green played limited minutes with Alzner. More often he was with Erskine then Schmidt then Wey then Orlov.

Oates did not want him playing offense. he said that in a post game presser in fact. "we don't need mike green to score. we need him to play defense." so oates hung rookies on him all season to keep him in his own zone.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Last season Green played limited minutes with Alzner. More often he was with Erskine then Schmidt then Wey then Orlov.

Oates did not want him playing offense. he said that in a post game presser in fact. "we don't need mike green to score. we need him to play defense." so oates hung rookies on him all season to keep him in his own zone.

Yup, which is why Adam Oates is no longer a head coach in this league. Might have happened anyway, I was unimpressed in general, but in my opinion his handicapping of Green is most responsible for his current unemployment.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course

i meant 12-13 he was mostly with alzner.

and mike babcock is very much D first coach and has been doing similar things with our dman if they cross the line too often. well, he might not be here for long so that problem gets solved out.

anyway, i don't see a trade between these two teams. price for one year rental is too much so he would need to be extended. which in case of green, is fairly big risk. would you sign him for 6-7 years at 6.5+ mil or so? can't see him taking paycut if he has good season and probably wants security too.

wings95

Mar 17, 2009
Georgia
this piece of human garbage GM dosent have a managerial clue left in his body and would be just as likely to trade mantha and nyquist for green as he would to resign cleary and quincey

Why is it when people don't agree with Holland he is human garbage? I think the signing is questionable but at least he is sticking to his word even though that should have never been an option to begin with. How can people say he has no clue when he is running a multi million dollar franchise and lord knows what or how the owners feel.. Sure fans are the ones who pay the most of the bills but should ownership not take some responsibility? Babcock probably does not wanna stick around due to being in one place to long. Is Blashill the answer? I think he needs at least one more season as an NHL assistant. So I guess we shall see what this season brings.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
their is a 0% chance holland is clever enough to pull off this trade and go about improving this hockey club

its sad to accept it but its for the best

davecrockburn

Jun 8, 2011
their is a 0% chance holland is clever enough to pull off this trade and go about improving this hockey club

Yeah I've pretty much stopped hoping for anything to happen except that Holland is fired at some point. Holland takes too much of the excitement out of being a Red Wings hockey fan.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
i meant 12-13 he was mostly with alzner.

and mike babcock is very much D first coach and has been doing similar things with our dman if they cross the line too often. well, he might not be here for long so that problem gets solved out.

anyway, i don't see a trade between these two teams. price for one year rental is too much so he would need to be extended. which in case of green, is fairly big risk. would you sign him for 6-7 years at 6.5+ mil or so? can't see him taking paycut if he has good season and probably wants security too.

I don't think so. Carlson and Alzner have played together the majority of every season they have played in the league.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
I don't think so. Carlson and Alzner have played together the majority of every season they have played in the league.

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/showplayer.php?pid=539&withagainst=true&season=2012-13&sit=5v5

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/showplayer.php?pid=1046&withagainst=true&season=2012-13&sit=5v5

alzner played 839:55 mins that year 5on5, 244:39 of them were without green.

and most of that because green was injured as green played only 144:31 mins 5on5 without alzner as his d pairing.

don't have the stats, but iirc, they were the pairing in playoffs and erskine was with carlson... effectively shutting carlson down.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site

As if we didn't know this was coming. Why does this thread on Mike Green even have this many pages? We should have learned our lesson by now. There is little point in discussing the possibility of a reasonable, logical trade happening with Holland at the helm. We might as well be discussing the possibility of a viable third party option being added to our political system.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida

Yup we're talking Holland here. We will resign both Tatar and Dekeyser and possibly Alfredsson and call it a day. Other then Legwand, Bertuzzi and Samualsson we will mostly be the same team as we were last year. If we're lucky another 8th place finish and another early exit from the playoffs.

Hendricks433

Feb 18, 2013
Yup we're talking Holland here. We will resign both Tatar and Dekeyser and possibly Alfredsson and call it a day. Other then Legwand, Bertuzzi and Samualsson we will mostly be the same team as we were last year. If we're lucky another 8th place finish and another early exit from the playoffs.

It's amazing to me that we are going to ice essentially the same exact team. It makes absolutely no sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad